UPGRADE: ericsbane06 to Slackware64 15.0

V.T. Eric Layton

Hedon James
15 hours ago, securitybreach said:

My setup is many years old, I find what I like and leave it the hell alone.

Same here.  Until someone makes an unnecessary change that inadvertently removes what I call a "critical feature", and I'm sent scrambling to restore that, or find another way to duplicate that feature.

• Agree 1

Hedon James
15 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Sounds a lot like "work". ;)

I really dig your screenshot of the new v15 setup, simple & elegant.  Hedon approved!

And with that knowledge, I think I have to agree with SB.  If you really dislike the updated version of XFCE that much, I think Openbox would be a drop-in replacement for you, and restore the "classic" window decorations you seem to prefer!

Based on your screenshot, I think it would just be as simple as:

If you did that, I think you'd be exactly where you want to be, appearance-wise and function-wise.  And that's about 5 minutes of work....TOPS...not including your unknown download speeds!  LOL!  FWIW....(but you do you)

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Love the new avatar 😋

Toshiro Mifune when spotting hotty Geisha linux user.

• Haha 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
9 hours ago, Hedon James said:

If you did that, I think you'd be exactly where you want to be, appearance-wise and function-wise.

Meh... something to consider, maybe. First things first, though...

I'm still having some buggy issues in Slack. I've had the graphical interface freeze up on me twice in 24 hours. The only way out is HARD KILL and Restart. Have no idea what could be causing that.

I'm also have an issue with Slackware NOT fully going into run level 6 (reboot) or run level 0 (shutdown). It goes on through the process and then locks up at the end... dead keyboard at that point, so cannot recover. HARD KILL and restart to fix. Fortunately, it shut the drives down and is prepared to terminate itself when it locks up, so no drive/journal issues or anything.

Also, probably unrelated to the new Slack installation, but my Firefox browser has become useless due to random crashing issues since 121.0.1 came out. I've gotten so sick of it that I've switched my default browser to "unGoogled" Chromium for the time being.

• Sad 1

V.T. Eric Layton
9 hours ago, wa4chq said:

Looks more like Toshiro is eying Lee Marvin from across the island. ;)

MV5BMTg2Nzk2MTM0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzg1

Great movie, by the way!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

securitybreach
24 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Meh... something to consider, maybe. First things first, though...

I'm still having some buggy issues in Slack. I've had the graphical interface freeze up on me twice in 24 hours. The only way out is HARD KILL and Restart. Have no idea what could be causing that.

I'm also have an issue with Slackware NOT fully going into run level 6 (reboot) or run level 0 (shutdown). It goes on through the process and then locks up at the end... dead keyboard at that point, so cannot recover. HARD KILL and restart to fix. Fortunately, it shut the drives down and is prepared to terminate itself when it locks up, so no drive/journal issues or anything.

Also, probably unrelated to the new Slack installation, but my Firefox browser has become useless due to random crashing issues since 121.0.1 came out. I've gotten so sick of it that I've switched my default browser to "unGoogled" Chromium for the time being.

That's some odd issues...

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I believe the shutdown/reboot issue is an Xfce issue. I'll test that for sure tonight when I shut down. I'll log out of the graphics interface and # telinit 0 in CLI to shutdown. 

abarbarian
19 hours ago, wa4chq said:

He played in some of the best ever movies. Especially that series done by Akira Kurosawa. 😎

• Agree 1

On 1/16/2024 at 12:53 PM, securitybreach said:

That's just the logo from BackTrack Linux (now Kali)

12 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Looks more like Toshiro is eying Lee Marvin from across the island. ;)

MV5BMTg2Nzk2MTM0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzg1

Great movie, by the way!

That was a great flick.  I've seen it several times.  And the way it was filmed is clever.  I first saw it when I had a Netflix DVD subscription and for some reason I remember it included an alternate ending.  Lee was a decorated (including a purple heart) USMC vet...WW2...buried in Arlington.  Both men were great actors.   A good film with Toshiro Mifune is Red Beard.

• Like 3

abarbarian
4 hours ago, wa4chq said:

I first saw it when I had a Netflix DVD

No NetFlix or DVD around when I saw it in 1968 🤣

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, abarbarian said:

He played in some of the best ever movies. Especially that series done by Akira Kurosawa. 😎

Yep.  He plays a convincing Samurai, even when playing the character in "The Seven Samurai". 

44 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

No NetFlix or DVD around when I saw it in 1968 🤣

I hadn't a clue who Kurosawa was in '68!

V.T. Eric Layton
18 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I believe the shutdown/reboot issue is an Xfce issue. I'll test that for sure tonight when I shut down. I'll log out of the graphics interface and # telinit 0 in CLI to shutdown. 

Nope. It was not an Xfce issues. It's an operating system issue. It still occurs when trying to shutdown or reboot from the CLI.

securitybreach
2 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Nope. It was not an Xfce issues. It's an operating system issue. It still occurs when trying to shutdown or reboot from the CLI.

Good luck

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... now this piece of feces Chromium browser that I've spent all day setting up has decided that it wants to start crashing like the Firefox. Oh goody! I'm getting very, very tired of this sh*t.

Anyway, I think this shutdown/reboot thing started a couple days ago after I upgrade the 5.15.19 kernel to the security upgrade version 5.15.145. I may have to revert and see if that's the cause.

securitybreach
1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Hmm... now this piece of feces Chromium browser that I've spent all day setting up has decided that it wants to start crashing like the Firefox. Oh goody! I'm getting very, very tired of this sh*t.

Anyway, I think this shutdown/reboot thing started a couple days ago after I upgrade the 5.15.19 kernel to the security upgrade version 5.15.145. I may have to revert and see if that's the cause.

You didn't by chance copy over the ~/.chromium and the ~/.mozilla profiles over? They might be corrupted.

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Nah... the unGoogled Chromium was pristine/clean because I'd never used it until recently. As for the FF, I did a complete wipe/start new config/profile for that thing the other night. I didn't help with the crashing issues, though.

There is good news, though...

Well, I believe I've fixed the shutdown/reboot issue. It was a combination of screwups. Firstly, I had not completely reverted some BIOS setting back to their original settings after tweaking and tinkering a few days ago trying to get "Suspend" to work on this machine. During that time I also turned off PolicyKit Authentication Agent in Session Manager for some damned reason that I cannot remember now.

Anyway, after setting the ACPI goodies in BIOS back and reactivating polkit at login, Shutdown/Reboot are now functioning properly from command line and from Whisker Menu graphic interface buttons, so YAY! I'm too old and wise to get carried away with tweaking and tinkering in such a way to lose track of what I did. I must have been having an "elderly" person day that day. ;)

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the extensions I added to Chromium was causing the locking up/crashing earlier. I removed that extension. No crashes for a while now. :)

• Like 1

securitybreach
13 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

so YAY! I'm too old and wise to get carried away with tweaking and tinkering in such a way to lose track of what I did. I must have been having an "elderly" person day that day. ;)

Dude, you're not that old. You don't even qualify for a senior coffee yet.

• Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I get the senior's discount at Kentucky Fried Chicken and the Social Security Administration sends me money every month now. Ain't it great?

And it's an odd thing, but you'd be surprised how much different you feel at 63 than you did at 53. Sure, it's just ten short years, but a lot happens in that time period. One day youi wake up and find out that you're the same age as old people. It' amost makes you want to go out to some seniors club and learn to play shuffelboard.

coy-bradford-35cd0d257a6c5de6_large.jpg&

Next stop... Dependsville. ;)

th?id=OIP.nE_hrig2gcOPPhbGTE7QvgAAAA%26p

• Haha 1

abarbarian
7 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

One day youi wake up and find out that you're the same age as old people. It' amost makes you want to go out to some seniors club and learn to play shuffelboard.

image.png.63e834dfb07cca56903d87931c2062ed.png

It happened to me this morning. Woke up and thought I must join the local Crown Green Bowling club. :w00t:

• Haha 2

abarbarian
16 hours ago, wa4chq said:

I hadn't a clue who Kurosawa was in '68!

Me neither. I saw Hell in the Pacific at the local cinema. Back then we only had three tv stations and BBC2 had only been around since 1964. So our viewing was pretty dire. however in 1971 I met a loverly lass who was attending the university and she was into Film Noir, mostly French but with some world wide classics. So I was introduced to Betty Blue, Diva and the Kurosawa series along with some very strange European stuff.Opened up a whole new world for me. 😋

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Me neither. I saw Hell in the Pacific at the local cinema. Back then we only had three tv stations and BBC2 had only been around since 1964. So our viewing was pretty dire. however in 1971 I met a loverly lass who was attending the university and she was into Film Noir, mostly French but with some world wide classics. So I was introduced to Betty Blue, Diva and the Kurosawa series along with some very strange European stuff.Opened up a whole new world for me. 😋

Very cool, ab... We had TV growing up but when I was out on my own, I really didn't watch TV.  There may have been one in the first couple of places I rented with a few other folks but for the past 20+ years or so I have only watched movies from Netflix, half of that on a laptop.  So it was during that time that I started watching Film Noir and the foreign classics. I bought a TV two years ago when I finished my house.  Speaking of foreign classics, when I was in the UK for a few months back in 1985, I used to enjoy watching Selina Scott....😗🤪😍 image.png.30f96cdd770d2a459c63220f77cfd804.png

Edited by wa4chq