UPGRADE: ericsbane06 to Slackware64 15.0

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, the time has come folks. I haven't been sleeping well this past two nights. I've napped twice today to make up for last night's lack of sleep. That means, I'll probably be up all night tonight just because of the excellent naps I've had today. If I'm going to be up all night, I may as well be doing something constructive.

Tonight's project will be an "in situ" upgrade of ericesbane06's recent fresh install of Slackware64 14.2 to the most recent release version Slackware64 15.0. You less experienced kids should not attempt this at home. I'm an old Slacker veteran. I've done this before a few times. Should be fun. Uh-huh.

I have already backed up the important stuff like /home/<user> and /etc. I actually have a full rsync backup of the current working operating system (14.2) that will be getting the upgrade. The worst that can happen is that I nuke the entire set up and have to start from scratch (fresh install of 15.0). I've been there, done that few times in the last 18 years, too.

So, fair warning... if you don't see/hear from me in the next couple days, you'll know my system is hosed and I'm resting before attempting a fresh start. If all does go well, then I'll probably be back online posting about it before tomorrow morning. Alrighty, then... fingers/toes crossed, lock & load, pucker up that anus... We're goin' in...

What could possibly go wrong?

BQODcIW.jpg

Godzilla from Spectres (1977) - Blue Oyster Cult

• Like 1
  • +1 1

abarbarian
10 hours ago, securitybreach said:

BTW....finally!

I'll only believe it is real when Eric posts a inxi screenshot of the new install. 🫣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, then...

This morning I:

- upgraded the kernel to 5.15.145 (security upgrade).
- took care of all my /etc/*.new files
- removed old/obsolete baloney from the system
- updated via slackpkg (not kernel - did that manually)

All seems to be OK. I'm having a minor issue that I will resolve shortly:

- reboot and shutdown (telinit 6 & 0) are not working properly... hang at the end and neither reboot nor shutdown occurs. I'll figure it out. I'm sure it's something simple.

In a while, I'll be doing some polishing/customizing of the Xfce interface. There are a few things I knew were coming (and didn't look forward to) with 4.16. That's part of the reason I delayed so long in my upgrading to 15. Anyway, I'll tinker around with things a bit. I already figure how to use Pango markup to enhance the boring and drab Xfce panel clock a bit. ;)

Off I go...

___

Oh, and what's an inxi screenshot?

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, here you go...

tTwfwb2.png

and

root@ericsbane06/home/vtel57:# inxi
CPU: quad core AMD Phenom 9500 (-MCP-) speed: 2200 MHz
Kernel: 5.15.145 x86_64 Up: 1h 24m Mem: 2295.0/7956.9 MiB (28.8%)
Storage: 288.75 GiB (13.6% used) Procs: 207 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.12

root@ericsbane06/etc:# cat os-release
NAME=Slackware
VERSION="15.0"
ID=slackware
VERSION_ID=15.0
PRETTY_NAME="Slackware 15.0 x86_64"
ANSI_COLOR="0;34"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:slackware:slackware_linux:15.0"
HOME_URL="http://slackware.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/"*
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/"*
VERSION_CODENAME=stable

* Yeah... I just noticed the mods at LQ.org haven't updated their version numbers on the Slackware forum yet.

• Like 2
  • +1 1

1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

OK, here you go...

tTwfwb2.png

and

root@ericsbane06/home/vtel57:# inxi
CPU: quad core AMD Phenom 9500 (-MCP-) speed: 2200 MHz
Kernel: 5.15.145 x86_64 Up: 1h 24m Mem: 2295.0/7956.9 MiB (28.8%)
Storage: 288.75 GiB (13.6% used) Procs: 207 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.12

root@ericsbane06/etc:# cat os-release
NAME=Slackware
VERSION="15.0"
ID=slackware
VERSION_ID=15.0
PRETTY_NAME="Slackware 15.0 x86_64"
ANSI_COLOR="0;34"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:slackware:slackware_linux:15.0"
HOME_URL="http://slackware.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/"*
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/"*
VERSION_CODENAME=stable

* Yeah... I just noticed the mods at LQ.org haven't updated their version numbers on the Slackware forum yet.

Whoa....!  That creature shown in the background image is mighty scary.  I'm not gonna play outside anymore....too risky.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

securitybreach
5 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

Whoa....!  That creature shown in the background image is mighty scary.  I'm not gonna play outside anymore....too risky.

That's just the logo from BackTrack Linux (now Kali)

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

So it's safe to go play outside now?

securitybreach
46 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

So it's safe to go play outside now?

Well I wouldn't go that far... :hysterical:

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, securitybreach said:

HAHA... yeah, but I made that wallpaper years before BackTrack/Kali used that image. I think they stole it from me. ;)

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I wonder if Bruno would be proud of me for being a good Slacker all these years (18 of 'em, so far)? He predicted it, after all. ;)

hMWj6oG.gif

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

securitybreach
1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I wonder if Bruno would be proud of me for being a good Slacker all these years (18 of 'em, so far)? He predicted it, after all. ;)

hMWj6oG.gif

Yeah, he suggested that try Arch and the rest is history

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, we both enjoyed trying and learning Arch back then... with a little help from Steel. Remember? :)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, and... once I updated after the upgrade, it bumped me to the newest version of VIM. YAY! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

securitybreach
5 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Well, we both enjoyed trying and learning Arch back then... with a little help from Steel. Remember? :)

Yup, I remember

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, Slackware can be a pain in the arse occasionally, but I love it. Good thing I keep notes, though. If I don’t use this stuff regularly, I forget a lot it. I had to touch base with my notes about manually upgrading the kernel earlier. I almost forgot about my initrd. Pretty COOL that Slackware now has an initrd generator (# geninitrd). It worked pretty well, but being an old fart, I’ll probably stick to the old manual method of doing that, too. ;)

I’m just polishing and tweaking a bit this evening. All the heavy lifting is over with. I’m gonna’ have to get used to this newer Xfce (4.16) and client-side decorations and so forth. I don’t like it so far. :(

I’ve been having crash issues with my Firefox for a couple weeks now (since 121.0.1). It’s pretty random and aggravating. I did an “about:support” → refresh Firefox a few moments ago. That trick wipes the profile clean and starts anew. Often, the profile becomes corrupted over time I’ve been using that same profile since waaaay back. It was about time for a bit of cleaning. Hopefully, it will resolve the crashing issue, too. :)

I'm also having slowness and and stuttering in YouTube this past few days. That's annoying me, too. I think they're doing it on purpose because I haven't whitelisted them on my AdBlock+. Bastages! They keep that up, and they'll have to come to Invidious (yewtu.be) to aggravate me. ;)

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=j_QLzthSkfM

• Like 1

securitybreach
1 minute ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:
I’m just polishing and tweaking a bit this evening. All the heavy lifting is over with. I’m gonna’ have to get used to this newer Xfce (4.16) and client-side decorations and so forth. I don’t like it so far. :(

Might be time to build your own with openbox...

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
Just now, securitybreach said:

Might be time to build your own with openbox...

Sounds a lot like "work". ;)

• Haha 1

securitybreach
4 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Sounds a lot like "work". ;)

Meh, just customizing your environment and picking the panel and other things.

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Next, @abarbarian will be in here harping about the benefits and joys of window setup that he loves so much with the name that escapes me at the moment.

Instead of "Nocturnal" Slacker, I probably would have been better classified as "Lazy" Slacker. I really do enjoy just the fact that carp works when I push the on/off button in the morning. All the tweaking and customizing has lost it shimmer and gleam for me over the years; that's everything, not just techie stuff. :(

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

securitybreach
9 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Next, @abarbarian will be in here harping about the benefits and joys of window setup that he loves so much with the name that escapes me at the moment.

You almost had it, its WindowMaker

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach
9 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Instead of "Nocturnal" Slacker, I probably would have been better classified as "Lazy" Slacker. I really do enjoy just the fact that carp works when I push the on/off button in the morning. All the tweaking and customizing has lost it shimmer and gleam for me over the years; that's everything, not just techie stuff. :(

You don't keep messing with it, you configure it to your satisfaction and leave it alone.

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach

My setup is many years old, I find what I like and leave it the hell alone.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

You can tell that's pretty much how I do it when you compare a screenie of my Ubuntu from 18 years ago and a typical Slackware screenie. Not much has changed during that time. ;)

ZOWZhdC.png

fnwq0kj.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, securitybreach said:

My setup is many years old, I find what I like and leave it the hell alone.

I wish I could do that....I've lost count on how many times I've hosed thangs due to over-configurin'.

• Haha 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach
10 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

I wish I could do that....I've lost count on how many times I've hosed thangs due to over-configurin'.

Oh we all did the same at one point or another, distro hopping or changing stuff up all the time. You come to a point where you find out what works for you and stick with it.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2
  • +1 1

12 hours ago, securitybreach said:

You come to a point where you find out what works for you and stick with it.

Not me....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1