UPGRADE: ericsbane06 to Slackware64 15.0

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, there's that "munchies" thing that can be bad for ya'... if you overindulge.

jix6z9d6T.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=f1d20e0d9e0

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Here's a little post I made to ChrisRetUSN at my Cabin in the Woods forum:

It went fine. All set now. I just have to use it for a while today and see how many of the previous bugs are still bugging me. So far, there have been no lockups, crashes, or freezes with FF. That's a good thing. Unfortunately, though, still have the no shutdown, poweroff, reboot issue. That's OK. I can deal with one thing. It's when there were two or three unrelated buggies driving me crazy that it got to be too much.

Sad... I've NEVER had this much trouble with Slackware in nearly 20 years of use. :( I shouldn't be blaming Slackware necessarily, though. It may be a hardware thing.

• Like 1

securitybreach
6 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Well, there's that "munchies" thing that can be bad for ya'... if you overindulge.

jix6z9d6T.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=f1d20e0d9e0

Nah, just dont keep that garbage food at home. I mainly only eat meat and vegetables, well some peanut butter sandwiches sometimes. Got the munchies, grill some meat.

The only bad stuff I eat is at work with donuts, cookies, cake, chips, etc. I know myself and if I kept junk food at home, I would eat it all. If I buy chips and think I will only eat a few, I end up eating the whole bag over a day so I just dont buy it.

• Agree 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Found THIS thread at LQ.org that I'm going to study a bit more tomorrow. This fellow is having EXACTLY the same issues I am.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach
10 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Found THIS thread at LQ.org that I'm going to study a bit more tomorrow. This fellow is having EXACTLY the same issues I am.

Nice, good luck my friend

On 1/23/2024 at 5:47 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

ALRIGHTY, THEN! I'M DONE.

I'll be gone for a while, folks. This system with this recent in-situ upgrade to Slackware 15 has far, far too many bugaboos and issues for me to spend weeks chasing my tail to try and fix all of them. I'm just not going to do this. I've been at it for over a week now. TIRED.

I'm going to WIPE the drive clean and install FRESH from DVD. It'll take me a few days after that to get everything set up to my liking. I HATE this. I really do. This will be my last try at this. If it comes out all buggy and screwed up again, I'll be tossing this box into the garbage bin where the last one went.

You won't see me online again until I manage to come up with enough money to build a new system; that will be a couple years, though. I have other priorities like leaky roof and parked vehicles that will have to get taken care of first.

YES, I'M WHIZZED OFF and DISGUSTED.

See ya' later...

Yeah, good luck wiffit.

• Like 1

Hedon James
15 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Nah, just dont keep that garbage food at home. I mainly only eat meat and vegetables, well some peanut butter sandwiches sometimes. Got the munchies, grill some meat.

The only bad stuff I eat is at work with donuts, cookies, cake, chips, etc. I know myself and if I kept junk food at home, I would eat it all. If I buy chips and think I will only eat a few, I end up eating the whole bag over a day so I just dont buy it.

I'm the exact same way.  And that's also how I quit smoking, cold turkey, about 15 years ago.  "Don't buy cigarattes, don't bum cigarettes".  Can't smoke 'em if you don't have 'em.  It was tough to do, and I "slipped up" a few times, but it worked.  Now I'm one of those reformed smokers (the worst kind) who gags at the whiff of a heavy smoker.  I think it's because my brain knows "that's what I used to smell like" and is a self-induced psychological mechanism to keep from resuming the habit.  So I'm solid there....

The junk food is another story.  I just don't buy it.  But every once in awhile, I'll indulge and buy the bag of double-stuff Oreos.  And they're gone in a day...2 days tops.  That's my reminder...."yep...still can't buy 'em".  Anything I do, i go the extra mile for.....eating, partying, work.....always been that way, and probably always will be.  Often works to my advantage, but I'm old enough and wise enough now to recognize when it works against me.

• Like 1

Hedon James
On 1/23/2024 at 5:47 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

ALRIGHTY, THEN! I'M DONE.

I'll be gone for a while, folks. This system with this recent in-situ upgrade to Slackware 15 has far, far too many bugaboos and issues for me to spend weeks chasing my tail to try and fix all of them. I'm just not going to do this. I've been at it for over a week now. TIRED.

I'm going to WIPE the drive clean and install FRESH from DVD. It'll take me a few days after that to get everything set up to my liking. I HATE this. I really do. This will be my last try at this. If it comes out all buggy and screwed up again, I'll be tossing this box into the garbage bin where the last one went.

You won't see me online again until I manage to come up with enough money to build a new system; that will be a couple years, though. I have other priorities like leaky roof and parked vehicles that will have to get taken care of first.

YES, I'M WHIZZED OFF and DISGUSTED.

See ya' later...

I can't fuss you too much for having your priorities straight.  But if you get to that point, I hope you'll say something, if even a PM.  I've got some old(er) soldiers around that aren't in use, but I can't bring myself to take to the recycler because they still work just fine.  They're my backups....just in case...but linux has been pretty reliable (knock on wood) and putting one to use in VTs house seems like a better use than collecting dust in my closet waiting for an event that may never happen.  That ain't charity.....if anything, it's kinda selfish on my part because I'd miss you here at BATL, and if I can keep you here longer, I'm going to do that.  Besides enjoying your witty banter.......you've been very helpful to me (and others) on this forum for years.  You have provided very valuable tech support and never charged a dime for it.  You did what you could, when you could.  Now, I believe I'm in a position to reciprocate.  My offer is just "paying it forward".  Think about it....and IF you get to that place, please say something, if even a PM.  No one else has to know...

• Like 4

V.T. Eric Layton

HA! Yeah... my sh witty banter. ;)

Seriously, there's something in my eye now... Oh, and I have to go take the pot of rice off the burner.

Later, friends. :)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I've never really been one of those junk food/fast food type eaters. I like hot cooked and healthy foods, usually. My idea of munchies is a bag of raw natural almonds or a wedge of cheddar cheese.

I quit smoking recently (44 days ago) with two unopened packs and one partial pack here in the house with me. I was not at all tempted. I've found over the last 47+ years of smoking that when I'm really ready to quit, it's not difficult at all. I haven't missed the little bastages at all this past 44 days.

Oddly enough, but not planned, I haven't had a drink or a toke for about 35 days... since the winter solstice celebration on 21 December that me and the cats had over here at my place. ;)

I've got the weed and the money for a bottle; just haven't been in the right mood lately, I guess. I feel it coming, though. 🙃

• Like 2

VTEL, glad to hear you are giving up the cigs and drink.  However, your profile pic or whatever they're called still smokes.  You may want to look into that.  I was a chain smoker and it would go into overdrive if I was at a bar.  At a bar or home or party, I wouldn't nurse a drink, I guzzled.  I finally gave up cigs about 30 years ago.  About three years ago, I got into smoking a pipe but quit that last summer....though I'm tempted to go buy a pouch of Carter Hall.  I haven't had any alcohol in about four months...which is weird cuz I got back into brewing beer last year.  I still have batch I brewed last year sitting in a carboy, airlock and all,  here in the kitchen.  I just looked at the label....put it into the fermenter back in late February of last year..  I haven't dumped it...maybe it acts as a reminder....who knows.  I feel a whole lot better. 

Edited by wa4chq

V.T. Eric Layton

HAHAHA I first create that avatar (the original one)...

BixNMRR.jpg

...on MS Paint in 2000 when I inherited my brother's little Pentium I PC with Win 98 on it. At the time, I had been quit smoking for about a year and half, but I created the avatar with a ciggie because even though I wasn't smoking anymore, that didn't mean I should deprive my avatar the pleasure, so all my avatars have smoked ever since.

I do have a non-smoking version, but he's kinda' boring and bland...

qPwj6Th.jpg

• Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, here's my last posting on the thread at LQ.org just now...

___

Thanks @Petri. I'm not going to concern myself with this much longer. The system is getting useless to me at this point. I'm now experiencing TOTAL FREEZES on this system; two times already this morning. I just reset ALL  my BIOS settings to Failsafe Default.

I have come the point where I just need a working machine. And I don't think v15.0 is going to cut it for me. I had a fresh install of 14.2 on this machine Rockin' and Rollin' just a few days ago. If 14.2 runs fine but 15.0 is all screwed up, that tells me it's NOT the system (hardware)... it's the OS.

Sadly, I'm VERY disappointed with the changes to Slackware in version 15.0. I don't like the newer Xfce. I don't care for the systemd sub-system adoption (elogind). I'm not sure what or how these changes have caused such drastic issues between 14.2 and 15. I surely hope this doesn't become a widespread issue for loyal Slackware users; it will disappoint many, particularly those of us forced to use older hardware.

Meh... whaddo I know? I'm basically just a user of Slackware. I was never a Guru or anything approaching that status. I got the job as Editor of docs.slackware.com due to my ability to spell and formulate grammatically correct sentences, not because of my vast Slackware knowledge.

I can live with 14.2 just fine until the time comes when I have the means to build myself a more modern system. I might try Slackware 15 or 16 or whatever it is by that time. In the meantime, though, I'm going to revert this machine to 14.2.

Thanks EVERYONE for the suggestions and assistance in this situation. Too bad we couldn't resolve the issues; there are just too many simultaneous issues happening. I don't have the time or patience to deal with this crap right now.

Regards,

~Eric

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Posted just now on LQ.org...

Yes, back up 100% with 14.2. All's well again. I have a machine that is functioning as it's supposed to do. YAY! I've been beating my head against the desktop with this thing since Christmas. Nearly twenty years of running Slackware as my main OS on all my systems throughout those years without any kind of serious issue; I guess I was due, huh?

I remember two years ago reading the updates and other conversations around here regarding Slackware 15 and the changes that were coming down the pike. I was dreading it already back then. It's part of the reason it took me so long to finally try it. Wish I hadn't. Heh! I could have spent the last few weeks dealing with many other much more pressing things in my life. ;)

Well, HAPPY NOW... that's what matters. May as well nuke this thread. It wasn't really ever resolved, just nuked it from orbit.

Later...

~E.

-

• Like 3

Hedon James
19 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Posted just now on LQ.org...

Yes, back up 100% with 14.2. All's well again. I have a machine that if functioning as it's supposed to do. YAY! I've been beating my head against the desktop with this thing since Christmas. Nearly twenty years of running Slackware as my main OS on all my systems throughout those years without any kind of serious issue; I guess I was due, huh?

I remember two years ago reading the updates and other conversations around here regarding Slackware 15 and the changes that were coming down the pike. I was dreading it already back then. It's part of the reason it took me so long to finally try it. Wish I hadn't. Heh! I could have spent the last few weeks dealing with many other much more pressing things in my life. ;)

Well, HAPPY NOW... that's what matters. May as well nuke this thread. It wasn't really ever resolved, just nuked it from orbit.

Later...

~E.

Well....one good thing that came from it, is that now you KNOW.  There will be no more nagging questions of whether to update or not.  That's a resolution itself, IMO.

I think The Clash said it best:  "if I go there will be trouble, if I stay it will be double."  But now you KNOW, and take solace in that.

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
1 hour ago, Hedon James said:

There will be no more nagging questions of whether to update or not. 

Yup. I will NOT be installing 15 on this machine ever again.

If, in the near future, I get some extra scratch ($) and/or some donated body parts... er, computer components, then I will building another "Frankenputer", and that machine will get the latest Slackware installed on it.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, it could be that Slack 15 w/ this new baloney (elogind & PAM) don't like this older hardware. All I know is that 14.2 ROCKS on this machine with no issues whatsoever, so YAY!

I find it hard to conclude this is a hardware issue since I have been able to run Linux Debian on some real junkers and I never had a problem with shutdown or poweroff or reboot. Have you tried an ISO from something like Linux Mint or Ubuntu to see if that works OK? I have Spiral Linux running on a 2008 era Core 2 Duo which is about as elderly as your Phenom. Maybe Devuan would be a good one for you to try.

• Agree 1

abarbarian
7 hours ago, raymac46 said:

I have Spiral Linux running on a 2008 era Core 2 Duo which is about as elderly as your Phenom.

Good point. I have several pc's from that era running modern distros. I even have one 32 bit pc that works. 😎

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm quite sure that the issues I was experiencing in Slackware 15 on this machine were a combination of my BIOS settings and the new elogind setup in Slackware.

Removing 15.0 and reinstalling 14.2 resolves ALL of the #shutdown, #poweroff, #halt, and #reboot issues. I still cannot Suspend or Hibernate properly on this machine, but that IS hardware related because this machine never could Suspend or Hibernate back in 2013 when I first built it, and the Slackware version installed back then was probably 14.0.

> Have you tried an ISO from something like Linux Mint or Ubuntu to see if that works OK?

And yes, Live Ubuntu and Porteus both work fine.

-

• Like 1

securitybreach

Why did you not simply uninstall elogind and replace it with consolekit? In case you did not know, elogind is not part of systemd. Elogind is an interface between non-systemd systems and environments that require systemd such as kde and gnome:

It's designed for users who prefer a non-systemd init system, but still want to use popular software such as KDE or GNOME that otherwise hard-depends on systemd.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Elogind

If Patrick would just move to systemd, you wouldn't have to use elogind at all. I wasn't familiar with it since I only use distros that use systemd. I thought it was a login manager or something similar.

• Like 1

Glad you were able to fix your problem by "downgrading" to Slack 14.2. As this appears to be unique to Slackware not much more I can say. Maybe try a Devuan ISO to see if it is something related to non systemd OSs.

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

> Why did you not simply uninstall elogind and replace it with consolekit?

I didn't do this simple because I know from past experience that trying to slice and dice an OS up to likeable bits and pieces often causes nightmarish issues. I'll pass. I just want SIMPLE... ON -> WORK -> OFF.

securitybreach

Nah, you do that with any distro. Nobody keeps defaults. Linux is about choice, otherwise you may as well use Windows ;)

• Agree 1