• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ross549

• daveydoom

• nlinecomputers

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

We are doing just fine so far Dave... nothing is broken yet... :PDo a search in YaST for a ackage called popt. if it exists, install it.(linux is like a marathon :) )

Ok. Thanks. I'll have to give it a shot tomorrow, I'm off to bed right now before my head explodes. I'm used to working with Windows and simply clicking Install, Next, Next, Apply, Ok, Exit. I haven't done any REAL stuff like this in a long time :) Thanks guys, I'll check back in at some point tomorrow.I appreciate all your time and effort up to this point. I've learned quite a few things tonight ;)

To summarize for Bruno in the morning.....1. We cleaned out the old Firefox files2. New SuSE 9.1 RPM for Firefox 1.0PR is downloaded and in /home/dave3. Old Firefox is installed from YaST and is working4. Getting a failed dependency for the file "libpopt.so.0" which is part of the package popt on my system here (PCLinuxOS- I know that SuSE may be different) when trying to upgrade via rpm -Uhv on the command line5. nline computers suggested installing "libgnome" and "galeon" to satisfy the fialed dependency6. Have not tried a --force or --nodeps yet with the upgrade.I think that covers everything we tried.... :)

Hi daveydoomFirst: Welcome to the forum !! :) ( Sorry I was not present yesterday to welcome you and solve the problem ;) )I would like to make a fresh start because this looks a bit like a real mess ( and you do not even need Gnome or KDE istalled to run FireFox )To my opinion you just got the wrong package ! . . . . . So first delete ALL FireFox directories/packages you have in your /home now . . . . . . Then download this one:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...gtk2+xft.tar.gzUsually by default it will download it to your /home/davey directoryThen rightclick the file --> choose "Action" from the context menu --> then choose "Extract Here" . . . . after that you will have a new directory in your /home/davey that is called "firefox"When all this is done you open a console/terminal and type ( if my assumption "/home/davey" is correct )

/home/davey/firefox/firefox

And that should start the browser in 10 seconds :DB) Bruno

Hi Davey,I installed Mozilla from the SuSE CD and upgraded it on the Web. Then there was a problem.If you go to install (and I'm pretty sure it's K3b Cd burner software from Yast packages) you get a conflict with Mozilla and the usual options.Ignore Conflict. (Not Recommended)Downgrade Mozilla (To the Ver on the CD)Not much of a choice... There may be other software on the CD that is also Version Dependant.. I don't know.Edit: Icons... unlike windows, when you finally get what you want installed. Just go to the Menu Icon, right-click and hold it down and drag it to the Desktop or Taskbar etc.

Edited by Ozidave

Bruno.....Do you think that is the best course? Dave already has a working Firefox that was installed from YaST; we stopped last night while trying to get it updated to the latest version using a SuSE rpm.

Hi everyone. I won't be able to get back at this until late tonight, but I just wanted to check in.So what's the consensus: 1. Should I remove all traces of Firefox currently on my system and start over?2. Fix dependancies and get the latest version of Firefox working?3. Stick with version 8 that was installed using YaST?Thanks for the welcome Bruno and thanks again to all invloved, especially ross549 who spent so much time working on this last night with me ;)

Good morning, Dave..... ;) (Sorry.... couldn't resist)I think the dependency can be resolved, if we are able to find the package that is causing it to fail. In my opinion, this would result in a "cleaner" install managed by YaST, instead of having the actual program located in your /home.If you have no problems with the current version of Firefox that is installed right now, we can stop, but it is your call. B)

Hi DaveyThe advantage of the package I linked you to is that it can run FireFox independent of any other pacakge on your system ( so: very old or recent installs, old or new libraries, no matter what distro old or new ) . . so you will not have dependency issues.So basically you do not have to delete previous packages, but it only makes the oversight clearer for yourself.I always advice NOT to use .rpm or "installer"-packages for FireFox and Thunderbird, nor to use the Yast tool ( unlike for any other program where .rpm and Yast are really the best choices ) just because of the troubles you are running into. Also because of the regular new versions it makes replacing FireFox easier and a job that does not cause confilcts.So just download and unpack the package like I told you above and you will be fine guaranteed.Now, I do not know if you have other issues with your install ( conflicts ? ) but we can solve that later.;) Bruno

Thanks Bruno. I'll probably end up doing as you suggest later tonight (busy day today). At least it'll give me good practice at removing files/folders using the konsole ;) .

Hi DaveyJust remove the ones in your /home/davey . . . also the hidden ones ( they start with a . ( dot ) . . . like /home/davey/.firefox or /home/davey/.mozilla-firefox )Have FUN !B) BrunoJust to make it easier: Once you unpacked the package and have the "firefox" directory . . . open the directory and you will see a file called "firefox" ( just firefox not firefox-bin ) click on that file and the program should start. This procedure is exactly the same as giving the command /home/davey/firefox/firefox ;) ( still under the assumption your username is davey, so your /home is /home/davey . . . . change that line if my assumption is not correct )

There is another way if this doesn't work1. In /home create a directory name RPM's2. Right click on this directory and click on "add directory as YAST Source"3. It will ask for your password for root...enter pass word and it will make that directory available as install source for YAST4. go go the this web addressftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/mozilla/f.../1.0PR/9.1-i386 (for the newest)right click and"COPY to" .. home...RPMS...copy herethen Click on the file and it should let you install through YAST Then if you d/l other rpms put them in RPMS and use YAST

Actually in Suse trying to install the rpm version of firefox was a frustrating exercise. Never fully able to get libs successfully resolved. I recommend going with Bruno's suggestion on this one. Don't use th RPM version.

Was that SuSE rpm...I've upgraded 3 machines that way with no issues...but agree if there are lib issues it would still be a problem :P

nlinecomputers

Never had the problem with RPM here either but I load all the development tools on install so all libararies are present. So I've never seen the error this guy is getting.

Hi daveydoomFirst: Welcome to the forum !! :) ( Sorry I was not present yesterday to welcome you and solve the problem :( )I would like to make a fresh start because this looks a bit like a real mess ( and you do not even need Gnome or KDE istalled to run FireFox )To my opinion you just got the wrong package ! . . . . . So first delete ALL FireFox directories/packages you have in your /home now . . . . . . Then download this one:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...gtk2+xft.tar.gzUsually by default it will download it to your /home/davey directoryThen rightclick the file --> choose "Action" from the context menu --> then choose "Extract Here" . . . . after that you will have a new directory in your /home/davey that is called "firefox"When all this is done you open a console/terminal and type ( if my assumption "/home/davey" is correct )
/home/davey/firefox/firefox

And that should start the browser in 10 seconds :DB) Bruno

Ok. I did this and it worked :) . I'm now browsing with Firefox V1.0. The only problem is all of my Firefox icons are still for version 0.8. Every time I want ti open V1.0 I have to browse to home/dave/firefox and click on the firefox file. Is there no way to get the real icon on my screen?Thanks again to all! :) :) :)

Dave......You can change the launch command for the Firefox icon to point to /home/dave/firefox/firefoxOpen a Konsole window and type kmenuedit and press enter to launch the menu editor. From there you can drill down to the firefox icon, and edit the command launched. When done, save the chage, and you should be good to go.

Hi DaveyThat is good news, glad it worked ! :DNow, Adam did explain you how to change the menu links to firefox, I will show you how to make a desktop shortcut to it:1). Rirghtclick on an empty space on you desktop and choose: Create New --> File --> Link to Application. That will make an *empty desktop icon"2). Rightclick on the *empty desktop icon" choose "properties"from the context menu, and you will get a dialog with 3 tabs. On the first tab you fill in "Firefox" . . and on the last tab you see a box for "Command": there you fill in: /home/davey/firefox/firefox3). Then you go back to the first tab of that dialog and you see a representation of the icon itself. Click on that icon and you will get another dialog where you can change the icon. --> tick the box "other icons" and push the button next to it that says "Browse" --> then browse to "home" --> "davey" --> "firefox" --> "icons" and choose the largest one of the two ( I think it has "50" in the name ) . . . . That is all there is to it ! ;):) Bruno

Oh ya!!! Worked like a charm Bruno <_< :thumbsup: . Thanks for all the help guys :) . I think I'd like to use this PC for a file server/FTP server so I'll have to read up on those things and see what I'll have to do to make it all work ;)