Installed Suse and downloaded Firefox

daveydoom

Hi all, first post here :D . I'm a newbie to Linux and I just installed Suse and downloaded Firefox. Now, the problem is I can't find the Firefox icon anywhere so all I can use to surf is Konqueror. Can someone please tell me how to access Firefox? Thanks, Dave

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ross549

• daveydoom

• nlinecomputers

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

I downloaded it to my home directory and then installed it. It worked fine and I was using it online, but when I closed it I couldn't find it again. I assumed there would have been an icon somewhere but nope.Any ideas?

when i type in "firefox" i get "command not found"Sorry about this..other than playing with Knoppix this is my first time fiddling with Linux. I appreciate the help.Shouldn't there be an icon on my screen somewhere since I already installed it and was surfing with it?

Ok..... we get to do this the hard way. :)We are going to run a series of commands to try and find firefox.....first you need to type in su into the konsole window so we can login as root. You will need to enter your password. If all goes well, your prompt should chage, indicating that you are root. The prompt should also end in "#" and not "$".Next we are goin to update the local (filesystem) database. You need to be root to do this (which is why we did the su). Type updatedb and press enter. The computer should think for a while, and then put you back at the command prompt.Finally, we will use the database to try to locate firefox. Type "locate firefox" (minus the quotes), and paste the result up here.

su worked (prompt ended in #) but "updatedb" (without quotes) returned "command not found". I also tried "locate firefox" and got "command not found" also.

Hmm.... I remember this being a problem in one of my SuSE installs. Go into YaST and install the package "slocate." That should allow us to use locate. :D

In YaST, you should go into (if I remember correctly) Software Management, then install software. You should then have the option to search for packages. You want to find slocate.

This is bad...search turns up nothing for slocate :D . If it helps, I installed Suse from my Linux Technical Resource Kit (3 DVD's) I ordered and received in the mail.

nlinecomputers

Ross has the name of the package wrong.The package name is "findutlis-locate"Once you install that you can run updatedb and then use the locate tool.

Ross has the name of the package wrong.The package name is "findutlis-locate"Once you install that you can run updatedb and then use the locate tool.
Muchos Gracias! I could not remember the name for the life of me.... :D

yes, locate does turn up several things, but nothing that looks like it could help.Did I mess this up big time? Should I remove Firefox (I have no idea how) and then reinstall it?EDIT: yes, that package is there...excellent! :D Thanks, I'll try that now!

After updatedb, locate firefox doesn't seem to turn up anything. All I get is:/usr/bin/find: . changed during execution of /usr/bin/findhuh?? :PEDIT: I have no patience...it wasn't done thinking i guess. I have lots of info on the screen now. All kinds of stuff about firefox. What's next?? :D

linux:/home/dave # updatedb/usr/bin/find: . changed during execution of /usr/bin/findlinux:/home/dave # locate firefox/home/dave/Documents/firefox-installer/home/dave/Documents/firefox-installer/firefox-installer/home/dave/Documents/firefox-installer/firefox-installer-bin/home/dave/firefox-1.0PR-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz/home/dave/.icons/firefox-document.png/home/dave/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/firefox-1.0PR-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz[2].desktop/home/dave/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/firefox-1.0PR-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz.desktop/home/dave/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/firefox.desktop/home/dave/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/firefox-installer.desktop/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/bookmarks.bak/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/bookmarks.html/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/Cache/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/Cache/_CACHE_001_/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/Cache/_CACHE_002_/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/Cache/_CACHE_003_/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/Cache/_CACHE_MAP_/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/cert8.db/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/chrome/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/compatibility.ini/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/components.ini/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/compreg.dat/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/defaults.ini/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/extensions/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}/install.rdf/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/extensions/Extensions.rdf/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/extensions/installed-extensions.txt/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/formhistory.dat/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/history.dat/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/key3.db/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/localstore.rdf/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/mimeTypes.rdf/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/prefs.js/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/search.rdf/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/secmod.db/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/xpti.dat/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/ljz8x0a3.default/XUL.mfasl/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat/home/dave/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.inilinux:/home/dave #

Odd...... it looks like the Firefox program was running (profile folder was created), but it does not look like there are any files copied to /usr/bin.Let us try one more thing before trashing the current install. try typing "mozilla-firefox" and see if that brings up the browser.

DoneEDIT: LOL..my status has changed to "Contributor" already and all I've done is ask silly questions :happyroll: . I won't be of any help to anyone here for a LONG time :D :D :thumbsdown: