• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ross549

• daveydoom

• nlinecomputers

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

/home/dave/firefox-1.0PR-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz/home/dave/.icons/firefox-document.png/home/dave/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/firefox-1.0PR-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz[2].desktop/home/dave/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/firefox-1.0PR-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz.desktop/home/dave/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/firefox.desktop/home/dave/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/firefox-installer.desktopDo I have to "rm" all of these files/folders? If so, it should be as easy as copy and pasting the syntax correct?

OK, new package downloaded and placed in home/daveI seem to have 2 seperate rpm files in that folder now. Different sizes, 5 minutes apart. is this ok?

Ok, now we need to install the package......You need to be logged in as root (su) to do this.rpm -ihv /home/dave/MozillaFirefox-0.10.0-6.7.i586.rpmand press enter. If you get any errors or messages, please post them.

Well, I don't have a file called "MozillaFirefox-0.10.0-6.7.i586.rpm"The file that your link downloaded is "konqueror9QSsJa.10.0-6.7.i586.rpm.part"I'm assuming this is wrong? :) Did this happen because I'm using Konqueror?The filename seems correct when I try to download it on my XP box.

Dave, there is an alternative way to download the file, if Konqueror is giving you problems. Let me know if you want to give it a try.

You bet! I'll try anything. I was just going to download it onto my XP box, hook up the H/D from my Suse box as a slave and copy the silly file over that way :) What's your method?

Not a problem...... we can do this instead.... Open a new konsole window and copy/paste the following command:

wget ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/mozilla/firefox/1.0PR/9.1-i386/MozillaFirefox-0.10.0-6.7.i586.rpm

and press enter. That will get the little bugger. :)

Edited by ross549

I used your command above to install and this is what I get:linux:/home/dave # rpm -ihv /home/dave/MozillaFirefox-0.10.0-6.7.i586.rpmwarning: /home/dave/MozillaFirefox-0.10.0-6.7.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 71423d59error: Failed dependencies: libpopt.so.0 is needed by MozillaFirefox-0.10.0-6.7linux:/home/dave #EDIT: You WILL look like your avatar by the time we're done here :)

Well, this is what some would call "dependency ****", but there should be a way around this. Go into YaST and into install software, and do a search for Mozilla. See if there is a firefox listed. If so, install it, and we should be able to upgrade to the latest (which you have downloaded).

Ah yes, it's there and I'm installing it now.SO..if I'd been smart, and had I known, I would have installed Firefox this way in the beginning (as you mentioned in your first post) and avoided all this crap. But I suppose this would have required me to actually read some manuals or help files and we all know that's no fun :rolleyes:Ok, I guess it finished...how do I tell? Can I now go to the knsole and try your command again?

nlinecomputers
Well, this is what some would call "dependency ****", but there should be a way around this. Go into YaST and into install software, and do a search for Mozilla. See if there is a firefox listed. If so, install it, and we should be able to upgrade to the latest (which you have downloaded).
Should be no need to do that. If you browse with konqueror to that directory and double click on the RPM. Yast will load and install the file. It should handle dependencies that way.

rpm -Uhv /home/dave/MozillaFirefox-0.10.0-6.7.i586.rpm

This will upgrade you to the latest Firefox when you get done installing the older one. Hopefully, you don't get the error again. (crossing fingers and toes) :)

Should be no need to do that.  If you browse with konqueror to that directory and double click on the RPM.  Yast will load and install the file.  It should handle dependencies that way.
That didn't work for me. I ge a nice big Warning screen. libpopt.so.0 not availableremove?delete?ignore?Huh???

Ahhh ya..same error.Hmmm...what now? I still don't see a Firefox icon anywhere even after I installed via Yast. As far as I know it installed....it started and didn't give any errors.

Well, let's make sure that the older firefox is working first before we upgrade.... It should be on your menu under Network or Internet, if memory serves.

Yup, it's there.  I'm using it now (not on this machine though  :) ).  it says to download the latest.
Hmm, that is good.......Let us run one more updatedb in the terminal window, and try the upgrade command again.

nlinecomputers

I think it is libgnome but I'm not certain if that is the package. If he installs galeon he should get it that way as it needs both mozilla and gnome to run.