Barry . . . . . . Drake 10 for AMD 64 !!

Bruno

Hey KellyWell as far as 64 bits OS's go I"m rather sold on mandrake 10 for 64bit knowing the rpm thing) but debian isn't there yet...and the new SUSE isn't available, besides it's rpm based too .I understand there is a 64bit debian in the works too, that will be pretty cool...I did run knoppix from the CD on here and had no issues(and it was pretty fast too)....but mepis won't run on here...locks up and fails to load...But I really like what Drake has done..I think 10 is much better than 9.2 (not to mention the 2.6.3 kernel),gentoo may be there..but I'm not...but I'm going to give it another shot this week end....I also put Suse9.0 32 bit on here and it worked fine..was quicker than on the P4..But the difference with drake is noticable..as in very...If TEX creates a 64 bit version of PClinuxOS I'm probably there...I was stupid and ordered XPH with this thing and never use it..that was a waste of about 50 extra bucks.(not to mention it would not boot)...so I had to strip it down and start over...Which I probably would have done..but had I done it differently i could have had a 3400 and a 200G hd for not much more money >_<I really shouldn't complain..it's a very fun toy and with drake it actually has a life as a computer with usable apps :w00t: From what I've read http://www.planetamd64.com/ the MSI MOB is a fav amoung the AMD64 crowd and performs real well... :w00t: Have fun...and as Bruno says...fasten your seatbelt..it's a blast

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• havnblast

• BarryB

• Bruno

• kamicota

Yea I have installed MSI mobos before and they are pretty nice - only thing the pci slots are not 64 bit, Tyan has one with 64 bit pci slots but it is $400.00 so I passed on that -- I know Debian is working on a 64bit system - hopefully some day soon it will be out. I might have to look at mandrake 10

• 3 weeks later...

Barry did you see beta 2 of Mandrake 10 64 bit is out for download?, almost got the 3rd cd downloaded - hoping it is better than the first one. It's on distrowatchI presently got Suse 64 bit trying to install and after 12 hours it still is not installed thru the ftp - I knew it was crazy to try but thought I would anyway - ftp install is way too long to install. So I probably will load up this new Mandrake one instead.

linuxdude32

There must be way too much demand for it or the mirror you're using is too slow. I've done FTP installs of SuSE that usually take 2-3 hours.

That could be I don't know, but I have the Mandrake 10 64 bit installed - love the fast installs, couple minutes and your done - now to test it out some

Well Totem still crashes like before - can't find the command center to update anything like in beta 1 - maybe there is a command one can run to get this to pop up??What does mandrake use for command line that compares to apt-get? I see I need to install java too - aughI really like this but without anyway of doing installs or updates it's pretty much useless

Kelly . . I can not imagine that there would not be a Mandrake Control Center to do the updates and install the extra packages . . . Maybe if you have a look in the menu . . . under configuration . . . they gave the MCC another name . . it is called "Configure your Computer" these days . . ( don´t ask me why they changed it ;) . . stupidity ! )Software management is the section in the MCC that you are looking for . . . . There might however not be any updates for a beta version . . but the extra packages will be there for sure . . .B) Bruno

hi Bruno - yea that is there but in that menu there is no update - has the network and hardware and that stuff but no update - kinda crazy

boot - hardware - system - mount points - security - networking & internet is all there is and there is no software setting under any of those - it's just not there - in beta 1 it was right there

Well that is a serious BUG then . . . . . and you will not even have the normal means to get the bugfix for it because you would need the packaging system . . . . I will see in a few days where the bugfix is and then we can try to "urpmi" it direct from the mirror . . . ( please remind me near the end of the week ;) )B) Bruno

Some package requested cannot be installed:rpmdrake-2.1.2-11mdk.amd64 (due to unsatisfied perl(common))do you agree ? Is what I get with that Bruno

Hey KellyI'am going out on a limb here..I think most of our updates will be in RC2..I have tried to get updates and have had only 2 or 3 to"stick" without needing additional files...So I am assuming the beta upgrade aren't being as well maintained as the reg Mandrake packakges(those specific to the amd 64....Not sure if I'm correct, and I haven't been home much lately to confirm it.

augh - patiently waiting is no fun thoKnoppix 3.4 is getting close to being released, it got delayed due to the size of KDE 3.2 being bigger and they ran over on space so they are wondering what to take out - most are infavor of KOffice, which I agree withSo this waiting is tough, but it's worth it if they produce a stable version

Some package requested cannot be installed:rpmdrake-2.1.2-11mdk.amd64 (due to unsatisfied perl(common))do you agree ? Is what I get with that Bruno
Hi KellyStarting to wonder what packages you did choose during the install . . . did you get the development packages ? ( Or only games and internet ? B) ;) :o )Well, Perl-Common . . here it is:ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandrake-li...-2mdk.amd64.rpmMaybe you need mod_perl_common too:ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandrake-li...-3mdk.amd64.rpmThey are all on the same mirror:ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandrake-li.../Mandrake/RPMS/The dependencies are not yet resolved automatically because you need rpmdrake ( and maybe even the urmpi packages ) for that . . :(Sure you could also simply reinstall and have a good close look as you choose the packages you want . . . ;):o Bruno

Mandrakelinux 10.0 RC1 for AMD64

This is Release Candidate 1 of Mandrakelinux 10.0 for AMD64 processors: "The first release candidate of Mandrakelinux 10.0 for AMD64 (Athlon & Opteron) is now available. Several bugfixes and a few new applications have been added." From the release notes: "Kernel: ACPI fix; Handle pci=noacpi; add some workarounds for eMachines notebooks; really re-add VBE and EDID block interfaces to -BOOT kernel. Installer: ACPI is now enabled by default; to install without ACPI enabled, simply boot with 'noacpi' entry; grub now can be installed correctly. Package fixes: XFree86 Mach64 driver works again; libify tcltk for correct biarch installation; 64-bit fixes to xcdroast; XMMS can play mp3 files again...."
yea XMMS fixed - noticed that was broke in beta 2Mandrakelinux-10.0-rc1-CD1.amd64.isoMandrakelinux-10.0-rc1-CD2.amd64.isoMandrakelinux-10.0-rc1-CD3.amd64.iso

KellyI still have Xmms issue (onlys works from the console) I haven't checked galeon ro totem..do you still have those issues with RC1?

I have it burnt but not installed yet - probably won't get time till this weekend. Looks like there is no way around it but to edit the menu - I did that last time and it would come up, but not play any mp3s, this version was suppose to fix the mp3s not playing in xmms. Beta 2 would not play mp3s with xmms.Barry is the updating software back in the Control Center?

yes it is...(that was strange in beta 2) but got around it by using beta 2 as an upgrade rather than a fresh install...hmmm I tried the menu edit for Xmms and no Joy(still have to use console to launch)

I'll see if I can get mine installed this weekend - but I know in the beta2 I editied the menu and xmms worked, wonder if it is a new bug by fixing the mp3 they broke the launch up or something

I used the usr/bin/xmms last time, but no go this time - commandline only, but it is working - streaming right now my favorite radio station on the net.Yahoo don't work in Gaim nor Kopete - they need to update thatGreat to see the Package Manager back and able to install programs again.I can't find firefox tho - I swear it was in the previous betas :D --- overall it is working better than the pclinos tho - just need yahoo!!!! -- I got msn and icq, but yahoo is like my vital communication tool and got to have it no matter what.

I'm like you still going through and sorting out...Yikes...Glad to know I wasn't dumb on the edit...that was what I used too...Hopefully they do a RC2...or a bunch of bug fixes come out...just in case I ordered SuSE 9.1.(Though I understand it has some multi-media issues too)Been having problems with Gaim and Kopete with Yahoo too(funny part is the windows version works)

I was able to add ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.mandrake-li.../Mandrake/RPMS/ to the media manager, but it appears to be the same packages that are on the 3 cdsSo is safe to install 32 bit apps than or wait till Mandrake makes the 64bit package? :whistling: I'm keeping this one installed - best working one yet for me, besides the xmms everything is working great. Just not sure how to do the plugins like Java - Flash