Barry . . . . . . Drake 10 for AMD 64 !!

Bruno

Hi Barry . . here is one specially for you:

Mandrakelinux 10.0 beta1 for AMD64 processors Happy owners of a amd64 based system can now test the latest Mandrakelinux 10.0 beta1 for these processors. 3 700 MB ISOs are available via FTP or bittorrent. Have a look at the dedicated Mandrakelinux 10.0 AMD64 page to find out all the details. And of course all the Mandrakelinux 10.0 featuers are available for this platform. As this platform is not yet very spread, we encourage every user who has the opportunity to access such systems to test this version. If you do not want to install it, you can even just boot the Installation CD up to the partition step and reboot afterwards, at least seeing if everything seems to be correctly detected.Of course this version is a pure 64bit compiled version, and you will benefit noticeable improvements over a 32bit system (which still run on AMD64 thanks to the full ia32 compatibility). You will be able to install either a any standard i586 mandrakelinux packages although we recommend to prefer amd64 compiled counterparts.
Here are the ISO's on FTP:Netherlands: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...drake-iso/amd64ftp://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/linux/mandrake-iso/amd64ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/M...drake-iso/amd64Have fun my dear friend !!:lol: Bruno

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• havnblast

• BarryB

• Bruno

• kamicota

Thank you BrunoI shall get this tonight....Way Cool... :lol:...LOL...and Imagine...I just happen to have a free partition waiting B) ...How do you know these things Bruno B)...Which is real cool...from what I've read the 2.6 kernel is better suited for the AMD64 anyway...The 9.2 isn't bad....and is about 25%faster than Suse 9.0 Pro (32Bit) on the same machine. I'll let you know how it works.... B)

I knew you would like this one Barry . . . . . !! B) B) Keep us posted :lol: We're all jealous on your mean AMD 64 machine . . . B) B) B) B) Bruno

Linux dhcppc4 2.6.3-6mdk #1 Tue Mar 16 13:58:44 CET 2004 x86_64 unknown unknown GNU/LinuxBruno...We are there...and this is sweet...Much better that the 9.2 even faster..and stable..it took 18 minutes start to finish for install..now for some additional goodies

Linux dhcppc4 2.6.3-6mdk #1 Tue Mar 16 13:58:44 CET 2004 x86_64 unknown unknown GNU/LinuxBruno...We are there...and this is sweet...Much better that the 9.2 even faster..and stable..it took 18 minutes start to finish for install..now for some additional goodies
Glad to hear that Barry ! . . Great news all those Drake 10 installs today . . . . and specially you on the AMD64 . . . that 2.6 kernel must fly on such a system . . . fasten your seatbelts !! ;) :DB) Bruno

Yea...this is better than I expected...much better, 2.6 kernel is about 15% faster than the 2.4 base kernel in 9.2...Plus it all works...DVD-RW all of it...way to cool. so far this is the fastest 64bit version of anything I've had on this machine

Hi BarryB et alDid I read this right --->>>" .Plus it all works...DVD-RW all of it."The + Kernel NOW supports DVD-RW & CD-RW formatting & using with the likes of K3b :D Colin :alien:

ColinThat is correct..it works using K3b.. Also .I think Mandrake adapted their IA64 version of drake rather than redo the 32 bit config. The 9.2 version didn't support the DVD writer...and so far this seems like a higher quality fit to the system.Julia, Bruno...Of course we all need a AMD64...AMD already has intro'd FX versions that will blow this one away..(and if they are as fast as AMD claims....jeeezzzzz)Also..have played video...works great..have sound...I also the 64 WinXP on here(it was free...for a year..but finding a AV program that works has been a nightmare) and Mandrake64 is faster(using the ole Mk1 eye and a stop watch...not the most scientific but .....BTW KDE 3.2 Rocks :alien:

Boy what's :D upo with me today AND the COMPUTER, Just lost all my post. And all these wierdies are playing havoc with the typing too B) :alien: got me all over the place. B) seems like I can now try the EZ CD Creator 6's hatchet job on 3 DVD-RW's that it turned into Audio Platters saying 1.99G used and nothing free on 4.7G. :D Sillt ME took no notice of the BLURB that the Direct CD replacement Drag'nFormat or something like that was NOT compatable with Windows 98SEThink I tried one on K3b in PClos before and SIMILAR gremlins B) came to visit their wrath on the new DVD-RW.OH well We can ONLY Hope eh B) Colin B)

Guest LilBambi

Oh, Barry! You have sufficiently made us all jealous! LOL!Enjoy! The rest of us can only hope that we too someday will be able to touch the sky! :alien:

Well BarryBGuess I'll have to waith until PCLos comes out with it's 2.6 kernel BEFORE those EZ CD Creator Platters can be given a GO with K3b again :alien: Thanks :thumbsup:Colin :D

Wow Colin...I hate it too when i create coasters too..Especially DVD coasters...In my case I'm not so sure it was a kernel issue but rather a dependencey issue for K3b(or the background programs that would actually run the DVD burning pocess and/or just being ready for 64Bit)...But anyway..It works with Drake 10...LOL...Gee Fran , the hard part of touching the sky is once your there, they raise the roof... :) ......But I would imagine in less than a year computer will be average by technology ...and to be honest..it doesnt have anymore practical use than any other computer..in some ways it's less practical...example..winXP (32bit)came with it..it runs..and all the apps run ...maybe a bit faster than my other systems but nothing great...XP Pro 64 bit screams...but I can't find many real 64 bit apps (Like a good AV program) to run with it...most will not load...But it is alot of fun :) :)

Hmm BarrB I'm a Little :blink: confused now as I recall that Bruno said Linux Does NOT embrace RW's Wonder if the new updates in PClos have incorporated that side of the burning/formatting business :huh: Oh well :rolleyes: can only try a little laterCheers for YearsColin :D

I'm a Little  :blink:  confused now as I recall that Bruno said Linux Does NOT embrace RW's
Not 100% correct Colin . . . I only said that Linux does not have the same as "InCD from Nero" so you can use a CDRW as big floppy-disk . . . . Sure you can blanc a disk and re-write it in Linux too :DB) Bruno

Hey Brunoif this is the beta..the real release is gonna be killer...so far I haven't found a single app that doesn't work...I haven't tried evoluation yet.(but it's not included) and gimp is the 1.25 version.but the KDE Groupware works great...IRC/chats all work.this is great...it's funny..no matter what I try I always..I always end up back at Drake

:D B) :blink: BrunoI often engage the mouth before the brain has absorbed exactly what was relayed :D must have been on another Planet eh :D SO IF I read you write B) I can erase the DVD-RW's and reformat them with K3b and then use drag/drop or copy to Colin :D

Hi Colin . . . I'm not familiar with K3b . . . . so don't know about "drag and drop" . . . I thought you wanted the same features as "InCD" ( Nero ) and that is not possible. But if drag and drop in K3b simply means it will burn the files to CD after you blanked it . . that could very well be possible . . . :) :w00t: :w00t: Bruno

Hey Colin in K3b You can "Drag and Drop"...and burn files with cd/rw...however it is not like InCD, and I think it not a K3b issue but more of someone adapting a driver that operates like InCD( unless I'm wrong, I think InCD /ez CD type are not really part of the buner programs in other CD/DVD writing programs but more like drivers to make the burner think it is a HD, that then intergate into part of the buning prog...like I said I could be wrong on the total technical aspects). but they(k3b and linux) are making progress.just not there yet..But K3b does do what K3b says it does.(at least for me it does)http://www.k3b.org/This will give you more info B) :)

Yeah BarryB :) You ARE right about InCD & EZCD Direct CD they do emulate the RW';s as a Drive Now wether that happens with K3b or other Linux Burning software i just Don't knowAs much as I have been reluctant to try a K3b Burn on to the RW may just have to give it a try as I am not getting anywhere with reformatting them.I'll keep you Infomed :) By the way what linux Burning program do you use :) Colin B)

Colin The latest K3B should do what you want. However, make sure you have configured it correctly because it sometimes does not correctly identify which drive is the right one. Otherwise, command line always works great. :whistling:Julia :)

Hey JuliaI LOVE :) "The COMMAND line works great" B) :) and here's me stiull struggling with GUI :) :o HOPE I have it set up correctly, when I put a dvd-rw in it mounts :) a new drive so now after it formatted one Audio DVD-RW I AM going to TRY a BURN/Drag & Drop & see what happens B) B) :D Colin :D

Hey Colinusually K3b...or XRoaster..Depends...sometimes commandline...And Julia is right check your settings with k3b..and as far as I know K3b is just a GUI for cdrecord and some other commandline programs and doesn't do the emulation of a HD

Finally got the chance to order my new system last night - 3200+ 64 bit is on it's way with MSI|VIA K8T800 K8T NEO-FSR RTL and 512 3200 DDR - should be interesting.

Way cool Kelly...it is interesting..your building most of your right? I wish I had that talent...The mandrale 10 Beta for AMD 64 is great...faster than WinpXP 64.(plus the apps work...always good...also I believe this is adated from IA64 o there doesn't seem to be any problems..or at least none I've ran into..BTW you love the speed..My wife wants one now..

yea I am building it myself - always build my own systems - this will be the 3rd upgrade for this case. I don't know if I will go with the Mandrake 10 tho - probably just stick with knoppix for now. Gentoo has a 64 bit, so I'm kinda leaning that way actually - might have to take the thing to my linux guru friend to get it installed tho - good grief. I really want to stay away from rpm based distros, had enough of that over the years with redhat. I am open to ideas tho for distros - PCLinuxOS will probably run better on the new system since it didn't do so hot on this one. I really like PCLinuxOS and if it would run good on the system I would for keep it.