installing an OS on a partioned drive

longgone

Hi Dale

X was no automatically set up.1. Enter "xf86config"2. Enter, enter a mouse type, enter "y", Enter, enter a keyboard type (4), enter a keymap (1), Enter, enter "n", Enter, enter a horizontal sync, enter a vertical sync, enter a monitor identifier, enter "y", choose a video card type ( 349 for nVidia GeForce ), Enter, enter a video memory size, enter a video card identifier, remove all unwanted resolutions and leave only one for all color depths ( 1024x768 ), enter a color depth ( 24-bit ), enter "y"3. Enter "startx", if X doesn't start or something isn't right, hit CTRL ALT BACKSPACE together to exit X, return to step 1 and make a less than perfect selection
UPDATE: this does not work :D:D Bruno

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• longgone

• teacher

• jodef

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE: Just booted in Slack . . and it looks to me that the Tip I posted a few posts back is most likely to work . . . because I do not see any scripts caled "XF86Config" or "xf86config" that are executable . . . there is however an executable "XFree86" and it has a lot of options . . so "XFree86 -configure" is very likely to work ;)Here is the link again: Configure X:D Bruno

Sonic ? Jodef ? you two have done this in Slack before . . .any comments ?
Bruno I remember one of the three worked but can't remember which one and I didn't write it down :D sorry :D but Dale how is it going? I have to do a reinstall of Slack might as well bite the bullet and do it this evening :D

Johann . . . Dale . . . please . . my Slack always comes out autoconfigured . . . . the Tip I made is how you do it in LFS . . . . please one of you two confirm if the Tip is correct or thet I have to add a line "HowTo do it in Slack" ;)Anyway: for PCLos and Drake it seems to be XFdrake :D :D :D Bruno

:D Okay ... I could try that and hope it works, but ......... since it installed pretty much fine on the test/spare .. how come it left something out on this one ?????? I guess I could do another re-install and see if it shows up but first I shall try what Bruno said. Just in case though, if I do a re-install does that mean I will have to make those changes again or are they still going to be there (the adding of Slack to Lilo)

Johann . . . Dale . . . please . . my Slack always comes out autoconfigured . . . . the Tip I made is how you do it in LFS . . . . please one of you two confirm if the Tip is correct or thet I have to add a line "HowTo do it in Slack" ;)Anyway:  for PCLos and Drake it seems to be XFdrake  :D  :D :o Bruno
I'm off to do an install in Slack will let you know how it goes.My only fear is that PCI video card hope Slack has a driver for it :D

Hi DaleThe info in your Mandrake Lilo will still be correct for Slack if you reinstall Slack . . . No problem . . . :DBut still please test the Tip . . . . would like to know . . . :D:D BrunoPS: Thanks Johann . . we crossposted :D

:huh: :huh: :huh: Bruno,,,, Well, the tip worked just fine. I am making this post in Slack and other than the fact that there are some real problems with the web pages, all is good to go. This is extremely hard to read , what with black type on a charcoal grey backround page. I must find out how to change that quickly. Also still have to do the init3 to init4 switch. But at least as of yet I do not have to do another re-install........

Ok encountered something resembling a problem during Slack install:Wasn't allowed to set root password so just skipped that part however on restart coming up to darkstar login but not accepting blank root password :huh: Anything I can do? :huh:

Hi JohannWhat distro are you talking about ? PCLos or Mandrake ??PCLos root password is "root" . . . you can change it once you are logged in as root . . Mandrake not letting you set a password is a feature I have not yet seen . . . . but if it did: re-install and try again :huh::huh: Bruno

Hi JohannWhat distro are you talking about ? PCLos or Mandrake ??PCLos root password is "root" . . . you can change it once you are logged in as root . . Mandrake not letting you set a password is a feature I have not yet seen  . . . . but if it did: re-install and try again :huh::huh: Bruno
Slack install I though I mentioned that sorry :huh:

Slack install I though I mentioned that sorry :huh:
No is my fault . . must have interpreted your post wrong . . . :DAnd yes the Tip should work in Slack too . . . but if you have not set a password to begin with you can end up with the same trouble as Neil did last week . . . . will try to find the post and put a link in here.Found it: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=ST&f=14&t=5377( see the last part where I told him to add "root::::" to /etc/shadow because the root entry was missing all together ):huh: Bruno

:D An off the subject question here, Slack is installed and appears to be running fine at least IMO. I do have a question regarding one of the packaged web browsers though. This Slack 9.1 came with Mozilla 1.4 packaged as one of the browsers along with a few others. Has anyone out there had any experience with it, since it is the ugliest browser I have come across yet. When I come here to SNLF the backround is a dark (???) charcoal grey and the print is black and I can vouche for it being extremely hard to read. Is this a normal look for that browser version or is there something way bad in the install. I am using Konqueror right now and all is good. Any hints/comments or advice.

If Konqueror is working then hardly likely it is a problem with the install.You can maybe check under:Edit->Preferences->Appearance see if playing with the settings there would help.

Hi DaleI would install swaret ( package manager like apt-get ) and simply upgrade the mozilla to 1.6 . . who knows you have a corrupt 1.4 package . . . . . maybe you should un-install the 1.4 first in Kpackage . . . . . The swaret package is HereInstall it with Kpackage ( see menu ) it can handle .tgz packages like a breeze.Here is a quote from Sonic about how to use swaret:

If you have swaret installed:1. change VERSION=9.1 to VERSION=current in /etc/swaret.conf and save2. swaret --update3. swaret --upgrade -a (this command will upgrade everything to slackware current)(the -a is for automatically. if you want to look and see what it's installing and upgrading, leave out the -a and it will ask you if you want to install each package or not).* If you don't want to totally upgrade to slackware current, I assume swaret --upgrade kde -a would work just fine to just install the new kde, but that's not how i did it
If I remember well you are on dial-up:!! the full upgrade from 9.1 to current is +800 MB . . so only get the list and do Mozilla 1.6 . . it will take care of the dependecies as well !!>_< Bruno

Bruno< I clicked on the link you put up but I have not a clue as to what to do with it. I now have in my home directory ... swaret-1.6.1-noarch-1.tgz ... from what I can gather about it ... it is a gzipped tar archive .... the owner/s are dale - users and permissions are -rw------- . Somewhere there has to be something telling me what all that means. Where ???

Hi DaleThe drill is simple: In your menu go to --> System --> Package Manager ( Kpackage )Once Kpackage is started go to the 3rd tab called "New" . . Then --> File --> Open you get a dialog and will see your /home where the Swaret.tgz is located . . . . . as soon as you load it you get a new window with a button "Install" . . push the button and you will get a dialog asking for your root password . . . the rest is done automagically :DHint: first update and upgrade your 9.1 version so you are up to date with the safety updates :ermm: before changing it to "current", because you will only take a few packages from "current".B) Bruno

:ermm: :D B) Followed destructions like Bruno posted and am I led to believe that I have to install everything that is listed there or is that just telling me what that package contained ???????

Just telling you what files just got installed :ermm: . . . As long as you did't get a error message you know the install was successful ;)B) Bruno

:ermm: B) Bruno, Okay, so everything that is listed there was in that swaret-1.6.1-noarch-1.tgz pkg in my home directory. Sure was a bunch, so now how do I go about doing that .... swaret update all that I have seen referenced here in the forums??? Second question: I am as of yet not able to get my printer to work .. I tried and got the following error msg .../usr/bin/lpr -p 'print to file (postscript)' '/opt/kde/share/apps/kdeprint/testprint.ps' ... execution failed with message. I have selected the cups option, print to postscript but so far nothing is getting printed.

Hi DaleFor Swaret iut is simple . . . as root first:# swaret --updateThen:# swaret --upgrade -a ( the -a is for automatically, if you want to look and see what it's installing and upgrading, leave out the -a and it will ask you if you want to install each package or not ).And for the printer, Quint found the perfect app to get that one cracked in Slackware "Apsfilter" . . . here is the thread from Quint: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...74&hl=apsfilter :ermm: Bruno

Hi DaleAbout apsfilter . . . . The command to start the setup for apsfilter ( it is installed in 9.1 ) is

/usr/share/apsfilter/SETUP

Quint is on the way to help you out if you get stuck . . . but you can read on it Here :ermm: Bruno

Bruno,,,,,, Thanks, Slack has a nice printer test page, quite extensive. But as far as the swaret update goes, that is a bird of another feather, I am think that it is asking me what language I want it downloaded in but not sure how to make the code entry to tell it what language I want.

But as far as the swaret update goes, that is a bird of another feather, I am think that it is asking me what language I want it downloaded in but not sure how to make the code entry to tell it what language I want.
This is new to me . . it never asked me about a language . . . . maybe we should just take the next step . . . : Let's open the config file and change "VERSION=9.1" to "VERSION=current" . . . ( Top of the file )# kedit /etc/swaret.confAnd have a look if there is missing info on language ( ?? )Then again we do ( while online )# swaret --update ( will only update the list of available programs )# swaret --upgrade mozilla ( because we only want the latest mozilla 1.6 :D + dependencies )Let me know what happens.B) BrunoPS: Glad you got the printing solved ;)PS2: Cound not find language settings in swaret.conf :ermm: ( ? )