InstallFest Fall '09

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Too late. I already ran the Nvidia script. I've done it so many times that I can do that with my eyes closed almost. What version of FF is in the Arch repos?

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• securitybreach

• sunrat

• kamicota

securitybreach
Ah... it's the current version. I just checked. COOL! :)
Of course it is, it is Archlinux after all. Also, if something is not in the regular repos, check out yaourt. AUR(Arch USer Repository) has over 11,000 extra packages. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/YaourtThanks Edited by securitybreach

Arch is rocking and rolling. I'm posting this with Konqureror from within Arch/KDE4! YIPPEE!
:) :thumbsup: Congrats !! Well done . . . :thumbsup: B) Bruno

securitybreach
Believe it or not, I think that Arch may assist me to figure out Gentoo. B)
In what way?Thanks Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

Just the logical step by step method the Arch uses in the installation guide would probably be useful for setting up Gentoo. The Gentoo guide kinda' sucked, in my opinion. B)

securitybreach
Just the logical step by step method the Arch uses in the installation guide would probably be useful for setting up Gentoo. The Gentoo guide kinda' sucked, in my opinion. B)
Yup, I agree.Thanks

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm having some issues with getting Moz FF and Moz TB to work properly. I manually installed them from Moz downloads because I didn't like how the Arch repo versions behaved with my profiles. They were buggy and strange. Anyway, I was probably just tired and aggravated when I was trying the Moz versions. I'll get them squared away later tomorrow, probably.I spent the rest of my time in Arch today playing around with KDE4. Man! In some ways it's really cool, but in others it's a PAIN IN THE rear area! It's going to take some getting used to. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... should I change my custom forum ID from Nocturnal Slacker to Nocturnal SlackiantOSArchtooArk-er? Nah. B)

securitybreach
I'm having some issues with getting Moz FF and Moz TB to work properly. I manually installed them from Moz downloads because I didn't like how the Arch repo versions behaved with my profiles. They were buggy and strange. Anyway, I was probably just tired and aggravated when I was trying the Moz versions. I'll get them squared away later tomorrow, probably. I spent the rest of my time in Arch today playing around with KDE4. Man! In some ways it's really cool, but in others it's a PAIN IN THE rear area! It's going to take some getting used to. B)
Arch provides non-patched, vanilla software; packages are offered from pure upstream sources, how the author originally intended it be distributed. Patching only occurs in extremely rare cases, to prevent severe breakage in the instance of version mismatches that may occur within a rolling release model.
Archwiki Thanks Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

I think what happened is that I installed the Arch repo versions first:

# pacman -S firefox thunderbird

which also automagically installed some dependency apps/files. When I removed Firefox and Thunderbird using pacman, I believe that it may also have removed those dependencies, breaking the Moz versions. I'll reinstall the Arch repo versions and leave it at that, maybe.

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm off to read the Arch Wiki some more. It's become my reading material of choice the past couple days. Wish I had a laptop with wireless so I could read it in the can. :thumbsup:

securitybreach
I'm off to read the Arch Wiki some more. It's become my reading material of choice the past couple days. Wish I had a laptop with wireless so I could read it in the can. :thumbsup:
CoolThanks

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm also thinking of installing Xfce. KDE4 is a bit heavy. They're trying to compete with MS Windows Vista Aero, I think. It's getting really nice looking, but very heavy. I won't remove KDE4. I'll just enable "exec xfce" in .xinitrc and disable KDE. We'll see... that's what experimental distros are for on my system... to experiment with. :yes:Actually, seeing how bloated/heavy KDE has gotten, I'm very surprised Pat V. (Slacker #1) chose to go with it for Slack 13.

securitybreach
Actually, seeing how bloated/heavy KDE has gotten, I'm very surprised Pat V. (Slacker #1) chose to go with it for Slack 13.
Yeah, me too!!Thanks

I'm also thinking of installing Xfce. KDE4 is a bit heavy. They're trying to compete with MS Windows Vista Aero, I think. It's getting really nice looking, but very heavy. I won't remove KDE4. I'll just enable "exec xfce" in .xinitrc and disable KDE. We'll see... that's what experimental distros are for on my system... to experiment with. :yes:Actually, seeing how bloated/heavy KDE has gotten, I'm very surprised Pat V. (Slacker #1) chose to go with it for Slack 13.
I gotta put in a good word for KDE4. It runs OK on my 900MHz EeePC900 although I usually use LXDE there. It runs beautifully on my 3.16GHz Core2Duo and the new Air theme is very pretty. I admit it does take more resources than KDE 3.5 though.Check out these reviews of KDE4.3 and Chakra Linux alpha 3. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Myeh... I'm not whining about KDE4's quality or appearance, it's just that... well... it seems to be busy and much more complicated than a windows manager needs to be. But then again, back when I was a Gnomie, I thought the same about KDE3. Once I learn the ins and outs of KDE4, I'll probably love it as much as I always have. Learning and using KDE3 is, after all, what converted me from being a Gnomie. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, boys and girls. I'm sorry but KDE4 in Arch is buggier than a five year old mattress in a discount motel on the strip. It kept losing my settings or corrupting settings. I spent all afternoon playing with it. It's really NEATO, but I just can't deal with bugginess. I removed KDE4 and installed Xfce4 in Arch. Here are a couple screenshots:85355259.th.pngarchtheme01.th.pngOh, and I pride myself on not being that dependent on the graphic interface in Linux. HA! If you think the same about yourself, go install IceWM or Fluxbox if you want to see "minimal" desktop managers. Whew! They ARE minimal alright! And I used to think Xfce was minimal. It's downright bloated compared to these other two. ;)Here's hoping KDE4 isn't so buggy in Slack13. I'll be playing around in there sometime this week coming up.Having fun! :)

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach
OK, boys and girls. I'm sorry but KDE4 in Arch is buggier than a five year old mattress in a discount motel on the strip. It kept losing my settings or corrupting settings. I spent all afternoon playing with it. It's really NEATO, but I just can't deal with bugginess. I removed KDE4 and installed Xfce4 in Arch. Here are a couple screenshots: 85355259.th.png archtheme01.th.png Oh, and I pride myself on not being that dependent on the graphic interface in Linux. HA! If you think the same about yourself, go install IceWM or Fluxbox if you want to see "minimal" desktop managers. Whew! They ARE minimal alright! And I used to think Xfce was minimal. It's downright bloated compared to these other two. :) Here's hoping KDE4 isn't so buggy in Slack13. I'll be playing around in there sometime this week coming up. Having fun! :)
Well I have never ran KDE on Archlinux so I can not comment on that. Did you install KdeMod or regular KDE? I actually think IceWM and Fluxbox are really bloated. Also, did you try searching the forums http://bbs.archlinux.org for your kde problemsThanksBTW It looks great!!!!!!! Edited by securitybreach

securitybreach

Well Xterm (framebuffer) is a bit extreme but then again with Gnuscreen, it could be useable. I like it better when window managers do just that "manage windows". No need for menus or taskbars. Maybe a conky or something for monitoring but I am comfortable with using mainly CLI tools or very lightweight ones. Just my opinion. I used Openbox for about 6 months but lately went to tiling wms.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I like fancy-schmancy desktops and stuff. Minimal is fine, but I like pretty, techy, spiffy, and COOL, too. :) Xfce is a decent DE. I used to like it when I used it in Zenwalk.I've been adding apps most of the night. I just added numlockx and configured my .xinitrc to turn it on at startx. I'm trying to figure out how to configure Conky now.Off I go...

securitybreach
Well, I like fancy-schmancy desktops and stuff. Minimal is fine, but I like pretty, techy, spiffy, and COOL, too. :) Xfce is a decent DE. I used to like it when I used it in Zenwalk. I've been adding apps most of the night. I just added numlockx and configured my .xinitrc to turn it on at startx. I'm trying to figure out how to configure Conky now. Off I go...
Cool but have you looked at my screenshots. I think I have all that you listed except I do not adhour to a start-menu type setup. Well that and I do not run compiz or any 3d effects. But to each, his own. I like a keyboard driven wm and others like a mouse-driven one, anyone can choose anything. That is the beauty of Linux,Thanks Edited by securitybreach

securitybreach
Conky is strange. I want my gkrellm back. OK, installed gkrellm. Now have to find a theme pack for it.
Odd, I see it the other way around. Look at this from the Archlinux forums and wiki:Conky Configs and Screenshots Archwiki ConkyAlthough, Archlinux has tons of gkrellm plugins, etc. If you have yaourt installed:
yaourt -Ss gkrellm

or go here: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O=0&...mp;do_Search=GoDownload the tar.gz and extract it then cd to folder. Next type:

$ makepkg

Then as root:

pacman -U packagename.pkg.tar,gz

to install it. Hope that helps.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

Got all my themes for gkrellm. I just mounted my Slack /home partition and copied them from there. :)Conky is pretty neato. It's just that without a graphic front end to configure it, it becomes quite a bit of work to do so. I change my gkrellm theme almost daily... to match my desktop, etc. Configuring Conky would be a chore for that.Well, I've been playing around in Arch nearly the entire day. Too bad I don't get paid to do this. ;)I'm off to bed... I think. :)