InstallFest Fall '09

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. That's the link! Try PCLOS-Phoenix (Xfce) it's pretty darned cool. I'm done with Gentoo for this lifetime, I think. I needed to fill that partition. I was considering Zenwalk or Vector Linux, but I don't have a Mandiriva-based distro on any of my systems, so... I'm in PCLOS right now, actually. I'm updating/upgrading right now, then I'm going to continue with my desktop preferences and customizations. Cool little distro... relatively light weight with Xfce, too. :thumbsup:

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• securitybreach

• sunrat

• kamicota

Hi Eric & SecurityAm not too happy with Basero and see there is no Open officeBUT will play for a while and SEE if HP Lappy needs this oneAnd like you Eric AM IMPRESSED with the latest 2009.4Cheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota

V.T. Eric Layton

It's easy enough to install K3b and OpenOffice, Colin. No biggie. I'll end up doing that on my installation because I prefer those apps over the others usually available in these distros. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton
NMThanks
PCLOS - Phoenix Release Date: 09-14-2009Version: 2009.4Wow! We all posted within seconds of one another. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

If you plan on using PCLOS-Phoenix, be sure to do the update/upgrade. There are 800+ updates; some fix some bugs in Xfce 4.6. :thumbsup:

securitybreach
If you plan on using PCLOS-Phoenix, be sure to do the update/upgrade. There are 800+ updates; some fix some bugs in Xfce 4.6. :thumbsup:
I do not have any version of PCLinuxOS installed presently, I just thought I would try it out in VirtualBox since Archlinux is not going anywhere anytime soon.Thanks for the information though Eric.Thanks

EricThanks for the heads up re OpenOffice and K3b etc but for me Synaptic is the way to update etcIs this not so rather than Apt getCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Well EricAm Updating from Synaptic = 447 to download about 336 MB and not too fast (40 - 60KB/sec heatnet)Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota

V.T. Eric Layton

Hey, Colin...Two things... you might find that about 7 items were not located on the server during the update. Just open the repos and change to another server. And OpenOffice and K3B are both installable via synaptic. I just checked. :thumbsup:

Thank YOU SO much EricWill see what happens in and HOURs' PLUS timeHeatnet has never been a favorite here 4000+ miles North west of Miami :thumbsup: OOPS!!! :hysterical: :hysterical: :thumbsup: that was TampaCheers for yearsColin :w00t:

Edited by kamicota

V.T. Eric Layton

I usually use the Georgia Tech servers for most of my distros. They're fast and nearby me. I would recommend you use something a bit closer to your, though, Colin. You can go to the server in your browser, copy the URL, and then paste it into Synaptic as a "New" repo. Be sure to uncheck the old one and check your new one. Always leave the Tex - Open Source repo checked. You'll need some of that stuff. Off I go to beddy bye...

Thank you EricGeorgia tech did have some reasonable downloads here in the frozen North hehehe.Have never seen the --->>>Tex - Open Source repo anywhere in my travels but will NOW look out for it as Phoenix is just about updatedCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup: :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

It's the last repo checked at the bottom of the list in the Repository window in PCLOS - Phoenix Synaptic. "Tex - Opensource" is just my abbreviation. :thumbsup:

Thanks again EricDid see that one ticked when I updated last night and will revisit it today when it is the Quads time to fire up.Cheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, fellow penguins...The Slackware 13 saga continues.Earlier today I decided that while it was really cool that I could run KDE 3.5 on Slackware 13, it just wasn't practical because it's not going to be supported. So, why bother? I can just keep running the more stable 12.2 w/ KDE 3.5 and be happy with that. I decided to reinstall Slackware 13-64 today without installing any of the KDE or QT apps. Instead, I'm running Slackware 13-64 with Xfce 4.6 now. It's stable and it works; the way Slackware is supposed to be.I've spent most of tonight customizing my Xfce installation. It's pretty cool. I think I can live with it. I'll miss KDE, but one day when KDE4 gets a bit more stable I might try it again... maybe when Slack 13.1 or 13.2 comes out. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my Xfce installation. I like Xfce. My only gripe about version 4.6 is that there is no graphical menu editor. They're supposed to put that back in when 4.8 comes out. I just finished adding a few panel applets and Thunar addons from the Xfce-Goodies website. Here's a screenshot...slackxfceshot01.th.pngIt ain't nothin' fancy, but it's OK. :)It's late... I'm off to bed. G'night! snooze3ed.gif

I've said it before: on my Slackware 13.0 install I have no trouble at all with KDE 4 . . . . but indeed Xfce is a fine alternative and very good windowmanager ! B) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

If I were the only one in the world with KDE4 issues, I'd think it was something on my system. However, a quick Google search reveals many folks with similar buggy KDE4 problems. KDE4 has been buggy for me on two different distros even... Arch and Slackware13 (both x86_64). Oh well... I'll miss the Xtreme customizing that I can do with KDE3.5, but I'm learning to tweak Xfce now. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, just doing some odds and ends stuff today:- I made SURE that ntp was working in Slack 12.2, Debian, Arch, and Slack 13. I'll check CentOS, PCLOS, and Ark later.- Fixed an annoying Gnome panel issue in Arch.- Set PCLOS to boot up RL:3 (no X) as default (It's Slacker thing ;) ).- Set Gnome prefs in Debian and Arch to be similar.- Simplified my setup in Slack 12.2... no more stuff on the desktop. Nice and clean looking now. :)- Did all my backups.It's not easy being mother hen to two main distributions and five experimentals, you know. :)

securitybreach
Well, just doing some odds and ends stuff today: - I made SURE that ntp was working in Slack 12.2, Debian, Arch, and Slack 13. I'll check CentOS, PCLOS, and Ark later. - Fixed an annoying Gnome panel issue in Arch. - Set PCLOS to boot up RL:3 (no X) as default (It's Slacker thing ;) ). - Set Gnome prefs in Debian and Arch to be similar. - Simplified my setup in Slack 12.2... no more stuff on the desktop. Nice and clean looking now. :) - Did all my backups. It's not easy being mother hen to two main distributions and five experimentals, you know. :)
Nice job. I have tried to maintain multiple distros on one machine but I always end up neglecting all but Archlinux. I guess this is because I do not reboot much except for a kernel upgrade every once in awhile. I do manage to maintain 6 computers running Archlinux though. I guess I am a one distro per machine type of user.Thanks

V.T. Eric Layton

A one-distro man, huh? Nothing wrong with that. I'm in a meaningful relationship with one distro, but I'm still a young enough penguin to be sewing some wild oats elsewhere at the same time. ;)This week, I'll probably spend my time finishing setting up CentOS, Ark, and PCLOS-Phoenix. I've only done prelim stuff in those distros.

I'm a multi distro man. Debian No.1, sidux and 64Studio. Oh wait they're Debian too. Planning to replace 64Studio with AVLinux soon. AAaaaaah, that's Debian too! :) ;) :)

V.T. Eric Layton

---UPDATE---UPDATE---UPDATE---

I'm downloading the new CentOS 5.4 in x86_64 version. I'm planning on installing it over my old CentOS 5.3 - i686. I'm seriously thinking about running it with LXDE instead of KDE, too. How 'bout them apples? ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Or maybe I won't install it with LXDE because I have to mod a Fedora RPM to get it to work in CentOS. Sounds like too much trouble to me. ;)