InstallFest Fall '09

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

If all goes according to plan, sometime in the next couple weeks I'll be sporting this new linux bar in my siggy:linux_bar_clear-rev02.pngI'm planning on installing Arch Linux, Gentoo, and Slackware 13/64 (experimental). :thumbsup: That will give me Slackware 12.2 (primary operating system), Debian 5.03 (secondary operating system), CentOS, Gentoo, Slackware 13/64, Ark Linux, Arch Linux. Those ought to keep me busy, huh? Hopefully, I can overcome the curse of Gentoo.**For those of you who don't know... my last two attempts to install Gentoo (in '06 and again in early '07) were catastrophic failures (crashed my entire system and required re-installation of all operating systems). It was ugly. :thumbsup: I've already d-loaded Arch Linux tonight. I'll d-load Slack and Gentoo in the next few days. :w00t:Wish me luck! :thumbsup:

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• securitybreach

• sunrat

• kamicota

Have fun Eric!But why don't you try Sabayon instead of Gentoo? I had it installed for some months a year or two ago. I was never able to figure out Gentoo but maybe now I could.Anyway Enjoy your installfest.

securitybreach

Good luck with your endeavor. I am glad to see Archlinux in that list. Also, good luck with Gentoo, you will need it. My problem with Gentoo is the time it takes to install anything. 10 minutes to install firefox, I do not think so. That was with a slower machine, but still.I look forward to seeing how it goes.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

Thanks everyone!@ Réjean... tried Sabayon once. Couldn't get it to install properly. Besides, Sabayon is like "virtual Gentoo". I want to experience the real thing. ;)I'm logged in earlier than usual today because I wanted to get those big downloads going while I'm doing my usual Sunday chores and routines. Off I go to check on the d-load status of Gentoo right now. After that... Slack 13/64. :)Off I go...

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't know why I pay all that money for "high speed" DSL. My download speeds today are running between 90 and 150 kbps all day. It's going to take me till the wee hours tonight to download Gentoo and Slackware. There just has to be something WRONG when it takes 10 hours to download 3.7Gig. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, Arch is downloaded. Slackware 13 is downloaded. I'm about 1/2 way through with Gentoo. Man! I've had a heck of a time finding a fast server for that one. I ended up vvget-ing it from http://mirrors.sfo1.gni.com. It seemed to be the fastest, which ain't saying much. The Gentoo official server is kernel.org... and it was crawling like a dying snail today. Sadly, there are no torrents of Gentoo AMD64 10.1 currently. :thumbsup:

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Would you believe that I was 77% completed with my download of Gentoo when their server failed... could not reconnect. Seem my Gentoo curse is still in effect. :w00t: I'm now trying to download the darn thing from Georgia Tech via ftp... another 4-6 hours. ARRRRRRRGH! :thumbsup:

Would you believe that I was 77% completed with my download of Gentoo when their server failed... could not reconnect. Seem my Gentoo curse is still in effect. :w00t: I'm now trying to download the darn thing from Georgia Tech via ftp... another 4-6 hours. ARRRRRRRGH! :w00t:
Hope its not an omen like Apollo 13 lifting off at 13.13. :thumbsup: :w00t:

securitybreach
linux_bar_clear-rev02.png
I just noticed, your Arch icon is the really OLD one from over a year ago. Here is the current one:Archnew.pngWith or without the writing. The avatar I use is just the archlinux logo with the Xmonad logo in the middle. Here is a huge list of custom Archlinux ones: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79538&p=1Thanks Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... but the glass-looking logo was COOL! :thumbsup: FINALLY! Gentoo AMD64 Live CD 10.1 is now completely downloaded. YAY!Let the InstallFest Fall 2009 begin! Well, maybe tomorrow... it's too late tonight. I'm not on the Count Dracula dusk to dawn schedule these days. :w00t:

securitybreach
Yeah... but the glass-looking logo was COOL! :thumbsup: FINALLY! Gentoo AMD64 Live CD 10.1 is now completely downloaded. YAY! Let the InstallFest Fall 2009 begin! Well, maybe tomorrow... it's too late tonight. I'm not on the Count Dracula dusk to dawn schedule these days. :w00t:
Glass-looking?THanks

securitybreach
Uh-huh... glass-looking --> sml_128-archlinux_logo_aqua.png
I guess, I do not really see it but ok.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

And the problems begin...I wanted to get Arch installed first. The last couple times I installed Arch, it went relatively well. Not this time. The installer couldn't make the new file systems on the partitions I chose. I had to use the existing partitions. Fine. Then I installed all the packages and the installer crashes (or seems to) while checking dependencies after the package installation. The drive light stays lit. The system seems locked up. When I hit a key, a prompt pops up. That's it. All done. Have to CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart the system. I got to this point three times. I give up. :(Tomorrow... Gentoo. :)

securitybreach
And the problems begin... I wanted to get Arch installed first. The last couple times I installed Arch, it went relatively well. Not this time. The installer couldn't make the new file systems on the partitions I chose. I had to use the existing partitions. Fine. Then I installed all the packages and the installer crashes (or seems to) while checking dependencies after the package installation. The drive light stays lit. The system seems locked up. When I hit a key, a prompt pops up. That's it. All done. Have to CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart the system. I got to this point three times. I give up. :( Tomorrow... Gentoo. :)
It has to be the image you downloaded. Did you check the md5? I have never had the installer crash on me or even heard of it crashing before. First all, if the installer will not let you make a new file system on the partition, then either your partitions are not correct or the disk is bad. As far as the dependancy checking, archlinux fetches nothing from the internet so the iso is not correct or the burn has an error. The errors you experience are not common installer errors for Archlinux. I know I said it a few times. but you need to burn the image again or fetch another one.If all else failes, try the 2009.02 image. I have not used the 2009.08 image myself.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, first off... I'm using the Arch recommended (at their website) net install disk, so it does fetch the entire base system 160M+ from the I-net. The drive and partitions are fine. I had a working PCLinuxOS Phoenix on there till last night.I'm going to use gparted to scrub and reformat the partitions, then I'll try to install again. If it fails again, I'll d-load the entire core DVD and do it that way. I just hate 4 hour downloads to get these darn DVD iso's, you know. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

OK... Arch is in! Slackware 13-64 is in! And the Gentoo curse is still in effect. I just can't do anything right when it comes to Gentoo. I downloaded (for 4+ hours) their darn Live DVD. Well, it's REALLY neato! However, what they don't tell you is that there's NO MEANS TO INSTALL GENTOO FROM THE LIVE DVD. Is that not RIDICULOUS! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! :thumbsup: I'm off to download their net install CD right now. *sigh*Arch installed fine once I wiped and reformatted the partitions with Gparted (using my trusty Ubuntu 6.06 Live CD B) ). I can install Slackware in my sleep, practically; having done it so many times in the past. I have to laugh when I think back to how much that Slack installer scared me when I first booted it up back in '06. ;)Off I go...

V.T. Eric Layton

OK. OK. I'm just going to come straight out and admit it. Gentoo is waaaay beyond my GNU/Linux skills and knowledge level at this time. I cannot believe I attempted this three years ago when I was really a new fish in the pond. Gentoo is a 100% command line installation. It's just too much for me at this time. I don't know enough to manually configure networks and compile kernels from knowledge off the top of my head. The Gentoo handbook is not very helpful, in my opinion. :thumbsup: For you new Linux adventurers out there, if you think Slackware and Debian are scary, don't even think about trying Gentoo. Maybe I'll manage it one day. It's going to take a lot of study time first, though. In the meantime, my linux bar in my sigline will have to be sans Gentoo. Off I go to modify my Debian GRUB to boot Arch and Slack 13. Later...

securitybreach
Well, first off... I'm using the Arch recommended (at their website) net install disk, so it does fetch the entire base system 160M+ from the I-net. The drive and partitions are fine. I had a working PCLinuxOS Phoenix on there till last night. I'm going to use gparted to scrub and reformat the partitions, then I'll try to install again. If it fails again, I'll d-load the entire core DVD and do it that way. I just hate 4 hour downloads to get these darn DVD iso's, you know. :thumbsup:
I wouldnt call the core a dvd, it is only 330MB. But I always use the core, I have never tried the netinstall since the process is so quick (around 8 minutes).Thanks Edited by securitybreach

securitybreach
OK. OK. I'm just going to come straight out and admit it. Gentoo is waaaay beyond my GNU/Linux skills and knowledge level at this time. I cannot believe I attempted this three years ago when I was really a new fish in the pond. Gentoo is a 100% command line installation. It's just too much for me at this time. I don't know enough to manually configure networks and compile kernels from knowledge off the top of my head. The Gentoo handbook is not very helpful, in my opinion. :thumbsup: For you new Linux adventurers out there, if you think Slackware and Debian are scary, don't even think about trying Gentoo. Maybe I'll manage it one day. It's going to take a lot of study time first, though. In the meantime, my linux bar in my sigline will have to be sans Gentoo. Off I go to modify my Debian GRUB to boot Arch and Slack 13. Later...
I run Archlinux, which is close to Gentoo as far as building from the ground up http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_C...#Arch_vs_Gentoo, but I would not try to install Gentoo. Have you seen the installation guide, it is unreal. I would rather try LFS(Linux From Scratch) than install Gentoo. Also, Gentoo takes forever to install a simple package even with a QuadCore. It took 10 minutes to install Firefox last time I tried Gentoo. Just my opinion.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

Ah... I thought the core was a big download. My mistake. Anyway. It's in! It's in! Now to boot and play with it. :thumbsup:

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach
Ah... I thought the core was a big download. My mistake. Anyway. It's in! It's in! Now to boot and play with it. :thumbsup:
Cool. Follow the beginner's guide to finish the setup.ThanksI LOVE the X through Gentoo :thumbsup: B) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Edited by securitybreach