• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• securitybreach

• sunrat

• kamicota

V.T. Eric Layton

There's a method to my madness about which distros I'm interested in having on my system. I like the old mainline branches that are still being maintained... Slackware, Debian, Redhat (CentOS), Arch, Ark, and Gentoo. That's why I keep trying to get those up and running on my systems. I will have to pass on Gentoo for a while, though. It's just more than I can handle at my current level of GNU/Linux experience. Arch is not quite as ridiculous as Gentoo... at least it wasn't the last time I had it on my system. Took all of 30 minutes to have a perfectly operational graphical Arch installation. It takes 30 minutes just for me to figure out how to configure my network in Gentoo. :(Never tried LFS. Probably won't.

So are they in order? If so Arch is moving up.Thanks
Yes. Arch got promoted. :)Thanks, Fran. Haven't done anything special to deserve the accolades, though. Now if I had gotten Gentoo working... that would have been worth a pat-on-the-back for sure! :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, Arch is kernel panic-ing and Slack can't mount its root partition. I'm sad and tired. I give up for tonight. I'm batting .000 on installations so far. :D

Guest LilBambi

Maybe Gentoo knew what it was talking about with that hard drive the first time around? Maybe repartitioning it and then reformatting it gave it a little more life, but maybe it was on its way out?That is very weird if not a hardware issue.

Guest LilBambi

Ah, ok, didn't realize there were other OSes also on that drive. But doesn't prove that there isn't a defect in that area of the drive.However, less likely if everything else works on that drive.Are you thinking that Gentoo did something to the other two that you installed? Or all three that you installed are screwed for some other reason?

securitybreach

I am stumped. What is the last dmesg before the kernel panic. Did you add the entry correctly for Archlinux to grub. I always you the arch grub but here is my grub entry for my x86 machine:

# (0) Arch Linuxtitle  Arch Linuxroot   (hd0,0)kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/3786b4fb-84dd-4796-8c2c-83ab562f2f78 ro vga=791initrd /kernel26.img

The only time I have had a kernel panic in Archlinux was when grub was not pointing to the correct entry in grub.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Fran --> Nah... I don't think Gentoo had anything to do with it. In Slackware 13's case, I think it was just a buggy install. I re-installed Slack13-64 and all is well now. I'm posting this from within Slack13-64 right now, actually... using Konqueror as the web browser. :)@ SB --> Don't remember, buddy. Something about root file system not recognized. I'm going to re-install Arch too and see what happens.P.S. KDE4 is pretty COOL! I might get to like it. :D

V.T. Eric Layton

SB, my Arch GRUB entry is pretty close to yours...

title		  Arch Linux (Experimental 02) on /dev/sdb8root		  (hd2,7)kernel	   vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdb8initrd		 kernel26.img

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach

Archlinux has a special arch version of KDE called KDEmod:

KDEmod is a modular and tweaked version of the K Desktop Environment that has been optimized for Arch Linux. It contains additional patches for eyecandy and functionality and an enhanced QT3 installation, and is available in Arch Linux's standard .pkg.tar.gz package format for both i686 and x86_64.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDEmod Thanks Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

Thanks for the tip on the KDEmod, SB. :)Well, I guess sometimes do-overs are all that it takes. I re-reformatted with Gparted again, then reinstalled Arch. All's well now. I've booted up and created my regular user. Now I'm off to read SB's tutorial to see if I can get X and all that baloney installed... just not tonight. Tired. Going beddy-bye! OK, batting .666 now... 2 out of 3 ain't bad, right. Gentoo... one day. I'll leave a couple of open partitions for it. :)Toodles...

V.T. Eric Layton

I appreciate it, my friend. Don't you worry. I consider you the resident Arch Linux guru here at ATL, if I have a problem, you'll be the first person I post to. :D

securitybreach
I appreciate it, my friend. Don't you worry. I consider you the resident Arch Linux guru here at ATL, if I have a problem, you'll be the first person I post to. :D
Cool sound good.Thanks

V.T. Eric Layton

It's not a matter of luck this time, Bruno. It's just lack of knowledge. The latest Gentoo installation CD is 100% command line. There is no anaconda-like installer or any graphics at all. You are expected to set up your network, install certain files and apps, compile your own kernel, edit all the necessary configuration files, etc. It's just beyond my skill level. I was stumped at the set up network via command line, never mind getting anything else done.On a brighter note, the Live DVD is very COOL, but it has no facility for installation of the operating system. Evidently, it's designed solely as a Live operating system DVD. Kinda' stupid, I'd think. But then, making it installable would violate Gentoo's philosophy of making everything up as you go along. Sheeeesh! And I thought the "Debian Way" was a pain in the posterior area. ;)Like I said... maybe one day. It's going to take a lot of study and time to do the Gentoo thing, I think. It's definitely a distro for the much advanced GNU/Linux adventurer, not the relative novice that I still am. :D

V.T. Eric Layton

I wonder, since it's rarely spoken of here, has anyone here ever successfully installed and run Gentoo on one of their systems? Bruno? Striker? Hmm... :D

I know Teacher ( Julia ) did run Gentoo for a while. Personally I never did, but that is a personal thing I have with the "Gentoo crowd" ;)B) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I'm not ready to jump into the Gentoo sandbox to play right now, so I'll just play with my Slackware and Arch chums instead. B)

securitybreach
I wonder, since it's rarely spoken of here, has anyone here ever successfully installed and run Gentoo on one of their systems? Bruno? Striker? Hmm... B)
I did a stage3 insallation a few years ago. I remember it took like 2 days to finish. After setting it all up, I did not think it was really worth the trouble. I did not notice it being any faster, even though everything is compiled to your exact system. Archlinux is much better and alot quicker than Gentoo is, IMHO.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

EricBoy I do ADMIRE your tenacity here's me struggles with the laymans linux installs :"> MDV and PCLinuxOS and even KDE4 with the ODD bump Like Gentoo with other varietiesSURE HOPE :thumbsup: things improve on the .666 :whistling: with another distro to help out which = ??? B) Centos etc etc etc Cheers for yearsColin :)

I wonder, since it's rarely spoken of here, has anyone here ever successfully installed and run Gentoo on one of their systems? Bruno? Striker? Hmm... :)
Julia aka Teacher.I had the discs (and manual) but sabayon came in and I fighted with that; suffice to say both sabayon and gentoo went out to somewhere else. I do appreciate the time and efforts the developers put in it but I haven't had that much time for every application as they obviously have or presume one has. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

***UPDATE***Arch is rocking and rolling. I'm posting this with Konqureror from within Arch/KDE4! YIPPEE! Set up and installation of all the necessary items for the graphical interface went along very smoothly. It was a learning experience, too. I could get to like Arch. I remember now why I was originally impressed with Arch back a couple years ago when Louis (Steel) was helping with my first installation of it. It's a very cool distro... not for new Linux adventurers though. You must be comfy with the command line for Arch.Anywho... a few tweaks here and there are needed; starting with installation of proprietary nvidia drivers. That's no big deal... done it many times in many distros. Also gotta' get FF and TB installed. I love Konq as a file manager, but not as a browser. Enough tinkering with Linux for today. I'm outta' here... :)

securitybreach
***UPDATE*** Arch is rocking and rolling. I'm posting this with Konqureror from within Arch/KDE4! YIPPEE! Set up and installation of all the necessary items for the graphical interface went along very smoothly. It was a learning experience, too. I could get to like Arch. I remember now why I was originally impressed with Arch back a couple years ago when Louis (Steel) was helping with my first installation of it. It's a very cool distro... not for new Linux adventurers though. You must be comfy with the command line for Arch. Anywho... a few tweaks here and there are needed; starting with installation of proprietary nvidia drivers. That's no big deal... done it many times in many distros. Also gotta' get FF and TB installed. I love Konq as a file manager, but not as a browser. Enough tinkering with Linux for today. I'm outta' here... :)
A simple
# pacman -S nvidia firefox thunderbird && nvidia-xconfig

and restart X. After that, you should be good to go.No need to run the script from Nvidia.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach