PRINTER : need everyones participation

striker

Clutter,Here's the deal: Dapper uses "libsane" version 1.0.17, and - according to what we've read in the above links - the scanner works fine. Edgy and Feisty use 1.0.18, and that version won't work with "your" scanner. Gutsy uses 1.0.19, and that works. Clear as mud so far? B) You could "go Gutsy", but a quicker solution is to downgrade the doggoned libsane package. I tested this with my Edgy (of course, I don't have the actual device, so I'll leave the hardware testing to you).Main Findings B) :P :P The above "libsane 1.0.17" download link is a dud. No worries, download it here:http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/mai...buntu4_i386.debI downloaded it into my home directory. Since there is a more recent (1.0.18) version installed, double clicking the package (="GUI" installing it with GDebi) is not an option. No worries... in Terminal:

$ sudo dpkg -i libsane_1.0.17-1ubuntu4_i386.deb

Terminal says:

urmas@rocinante:~$ sudo dpkg -i libsane_1.0.17-1ubuntu4_i386.debdpkg - varoitus: vaihdan paketin libsane aikaisempaan versioon 1.0.18-3ubuntu1 versiosta 1.0.17-1ubuntu4.(Reading database ... 268068 files and directories currently installed.)Preparing to replace libsane 1.0.18-3ubuntu1 (using libsane_1.0.17-1ubuntu4_i386.deb) ...Unpacking replacement libsane ...Säädän asetukset: libsane (1.0.17-1ubuntu4) ...Installing new version of config file /etc/sane.d/avision.conf ...Installing new version of config file /etc/sane.d/epson.conf ...Installing new version of config file /etc/sane.d/fujitsu.conf ...Installing new version of config file /etc/sane.d/gt68xx.conf ...Installing new version of config file /etc/sane.d/artec_eplus48u.conf ...Installing new version of config file /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf ...Installing new version of config file /etc/sane.d/dll.conf ...Installing new version of config file /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules ...udev active, devices will be created in /dev/.static/dev/urmas@rocinante:~$
"Will be created"... hmmm... let's do a quick reboot.After reboot everything should be in place... you can open XSane and see if it recognizes the scanner now.Except... Update Manager is saying there is an update available... you've guessed it: libsane 1.0.18. Now... the above guide was written for Kubuntu... I don't think doing sudo aptitude hold libsane would fix this. Open Synaptic, and search for "libsane". Click on "libsane" package. Next, from "top menus", choose "Lock package" (might be "Lock version... once again, I'm flying in Finnish here). Next, click on "Reload". Close Synaptic. Next, click on the "Updates available" icon in the panel, do a "Reload" in there as well... it should no longer "see" the more recent 1.0.18 package. B) Edited by Urmas

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• striker

• Urmas

• SueD

• Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Wow! Thanks, Urmas! That is very detailed, and I understand perfectly (I believe). I'll try to get to this later tonight, but if not, I will definitely get it done soon. It looks like a working strategy to me. I like the idea of "locking". B) BTW my friend's Gateway machine caused problems for Gutsy, finding the internet via eth0. OTOH it was a slam dunk for Feisty. Who knew? Anyway, that's the only reason I didn't make it Gutsy on that machine. I'll be back over there later tonight. I'm usually there several days a week, so I can continue whittling away at this problem until it is fixed.

I don't think doing sudo aptitude hold libsane would fix this. Open Synaptic, and search for "libsane". Click on "libsane" package. Next, from "top menus", choose "Lock package" (might be "Lock version... once again, I'm flying in Finnish here). Next, click on "Reload". Close Synaptic. Next, click on the "Updates available" icon in the panel, do a "Reload" in there as well... it should no longer "see" the more recent 1.0.18 package.
Yes indeed. In Dapper, I see the "libsane" version 1.0.17 and the sequence is (highlight 1.0.17), Package/ Lock Version. It's probably very similar in Feisty. B)

Brand and Model: Canon i560sinktjet, laser, MFP/all-in-one: inkjetDriver used: Make and Model: Canon BJC-8200 Foomatic/bj8pa06n.upp (recommended)Distro used:PCLinuxOS 2007Comments:When I first installed PCLinuxOSthe printer used the default driver:Canon i560 - Cups+Gutenprint v 5.0.0.99.1I looked on linux printers and the above Canon BJC-8200 driverwas recommended, and works better.The only other comment I have is that there is no maintenance option on it, like there is on windowsfor the same printer.

Cluttermagnet

OK Urmas-A good result. I did the download and install just fine. The only difference is that the Terminal did not show the last line

udev active, devices will be created in /dev/.static/dev/
as with your example. I reasoned, therefore, that I needed no reboot. I then opened Synaptic, searched for libsane 1.0.17, found it, and locked it. Mission accomplished.When I launched XSane, it found the CX-5400 scanner just fine. The only glitch, a very minor one- I don't yet know how to use this utility, so I wasn't able to process anything right away. OTOH it was pretty intuitive at least how to get XSane to perform a preview and then a scan. That it did, and it captured an image of the page on the bed of the printer (scanner) just fine. The contrast would need to be fiddled with a little, as the first image was a little washed out. That I will learn later. When I started to exit, XSane prompted me to first save the file, which I did.So basically, it is 'mission accomplished! Thanks so much, guys. You are amazing! :drooling: Edited by Cluttermagnet

footballgoalvz6.gif B) XSane may appear a bit confusing at first, but after you guys have "played" with it for 15 minutes, it begins to make sense... me, I usually do the "quick-n-dirty-default-scan" with it, and use Gimp for "the rest of it". :thumbsup:

Brand and Model: Canon i560sinktjet, laser, MFP/all-in-one: inkjetDriver used: Make and Model: Canon BJC-8200 Foomatic/bj8pa06n.upp (recommended)Distro used:PCLinuxOS 2007Comments:When I first installed PCLinuxOSthe printer used the default driver:Canon i560 - Cups+Gutenprint v 5.0.0.99.1I looked on linux printers and the above Canon BJC-8200 driverwas recommended, and works better.The only other comment I have is that there is no maintenance option on it, like there is on windowsfor the same printer.
Thank Jim, it has been added. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Added entry and instructions to use Canon IP4200 on Mandriva 2008 64bits version with 32 bits driver. B) It works like a charm. B)

all updated, going great ! B) B) Quint : thanks for updating your reply. :hysterical:
oomaticHallo striker :hysterical: Mandriva 2008 powerpack x 64Epson Color 600 with Mandriva provided driver CUPS + Gutenprint v5.0.1HP Photosmart C4180 all in one shows as HP Photosmart C4100 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)All works 'as advertised'Grogerf

Brand and Model: HP Deskjet F2100inktjet, laser, MFP/all-in-one: All-in-oneDriver used: HP Deskjet F2100 Foomatic/ hpijsDistro used: Slackware 12.0I could never get the printer to work, let alone the scanner, in Slack. Today, I had to reinstall it. When it came to the part of the installation where you tell it what you want to run at start up, I ticked off CUPS and another one (it was HP something or other) figuring what would it hurt, right? Afterwards, I went into the HP Device Manager and set it up through there...and it worked! :)

• 1 month later...

Brand and Model: HP Photosmart 2610 AIO printer/FAX/Scanner/Copierinkjet or laser: inkjet all-in-oneDriver used: distro detected "plug & play"Distro used: Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6Print, Scan, Copy: All functions work :hysterical: Wolf

Edited by Lawwolf

Brand: HP Photosmart C5180 All-in-one printerDriver: HPLIP 2.7.7-8.1 installed from distro RPM source and running under CUPSDistro: Mandriva 2008 (free) with additional non-OSS software RPM sources added.This printer is connected via a USB2 port and works perfectly in all respects and is very easy to install on this distro. The frontend HPLIP printer management software also works correctly in all respects on Mandriva 2008.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The results for Mandriva 2008.1-Spring:HP PSC 750 >inkjet all-in-one/hplip-2.8.2-2mdv2008.1HP PSC 1315 >inkjet all-in-one/hplip-2.8.2-2mdv2008.1B) BrunoPS: For the scanner to work, install 2 files with the command "urpmi libsane-hpaio1 xsane"

• 3 weeks later...

Made a couple of adjustments to the text and added a few distros.Any printers to add ? :'(

Made a couple of adjustments to the text and added a few distros.Any printers to add ? :'(
Yes! Brand and Model: HP Deskjet F2100inktjet, laser, MFP/all-in-one: All-in-oneDriver used: HP Deskjet F2100 Foomatic/ hpijsDistro used:Mandriva 2008 Spring

Brand and Model: HP DeskJet 5550inkjet, laser, MFP/all-in-one: InkJetDriver used: foomatic/hpijsDistro used: PCLOS MiniMe 2008