Top Posters In This Topic

• striker

• Urmas

• SueD

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Brand and Model:HP Deskjet D2345inktjet, laser, MFP/all-in-one:inkjetDriver used:Foomatic/hpijsDistro used:Ubuntu 6.01.1 LTS, Ubuntu 6.10, Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu 7.10 (default) and PCLinuxOS 2007.I had to trick Ubuntu 6.01.1 LTS by using a hpijs driver for a different printer because CUPS for this version of Ubuntu doesn't have my printer.

Edited by Frank Golden

Brand and Model: HP 840Cinkjet or laser: inkjetDriver used: foomaticDistro used: Mandriva 2008Brand and Model: TVS Dot MatrixDot Matrixr: Dot Matrix 128 columnDriver used: Epson 1000Distro used : Mandriva 2008

Hi Striker . . . . I checked the list and found that I had not yet posted the info for MDV 2008 . . . . sorry about that.HP PSC 750 >inkjet all-in-one/hplip-2.7.7-8.1mdv2008.0HP PSC 1315 >inkjet all-in-one/hplip-2.7.7-8.1mdv2008.0B) Bruno

• 2 weeks later...

I am using an HP 3200 All-In-one Color Photo printer in Networked mode. Accessable from all the computers on the LAN. It uses HPlip as the driver. The only thing that the printer will not do directly, is to FAX, but there is a softwareFAX application that can be used. The printer can send directly over the Internet (no computer needed), copies of pictures that were scanned or taken from an SD memory card.The HP laptop has a USB connected Epson color 820 printer.

Brand and Model: HP Laser Jet 2015Dinktjet, laser, MFP/all-in-one: LaserDriver used: HPLIPS Distro used: Xandros and Linux MintThis was really plug 'n' play for me with both these distros, as they already had the HPLIPS driver onboard. Printer works like a champ.

I am using an HP 3200 All-In-one Color Photo printer in Networked mode. Accessable from all the computers on the LAN. It uses HPlip as the driver. The only thing that the printer will not do directly, is to FAX, but there is a softwareFAX application that can be used. The printer can send directly over the Internet (no computer needed), copies of pictures that were scanned or taken from an SD memory card.The HP laptop has a USB connected Epson color 820 printer.
Which distro runs it on onederer and which version of hplip is it using ?And the HP laptop, on which distro runs the Epson ?There's nothing about that in your profile. :hmm:Thanks kgwagner ! Added. ;)

Cluttermagnet

Brand and Model: Epson Stylus CX5400Inkjet, laser, MFP/all-in-one: All-in-one inkjetDriver used: OS-supplied driverDistro used: Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty FawnWow! I expected trouble, but the OS found and set up this Epson no problems at all.Printed a pretty Ubuntu test page. This is on a friend's Gateway machine where I just set up Ubuntu.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Hmmm- I honestly never thought to check that function. I was in a hurry. Besides, knowing it was a brand other than HP, I was worried whether or not it was going to work even as a printer. I was pleasantly surprised when Ubuntu recognized it right away.So I don't know, guys. I will find out and post my results. I will be over there later today...

Experience tells me that's not always the case. Very often it just finds nothing at all due to permission problems. Let's wait for Clutter to report, maybe we might open up a new topic. B)

Very often it just finds nothing at all due to permission problems.
B) :) On the other hand, if I don't give it a scanner to play with, it "finds" my TV card... :D :hysterical:

Cluttermagnet
bash: XSane: command not found
I don't know what software should exercise the scanner in this 'all in one'. I do at least know that pressing the "Scan" button on the printer itself does not cause a scan. So I'm open to suggestions, and will have a go at it again tomorrow night...
sudo: XSane: command not found
Edited by Cluttermagnet

Clutter,If you want to open XSane in terminal, the command is xsane... and lose the sudo. No need for terminal, though; you'll find it in Applications -> Graphics -> XSane Graphics Scanner. :hug:

Forget it guys, it won't work. ;)
Hang on... the last two entries in the Launchpad bug thread:
Nick_Hill wrote on 2007-06-30: Works on Gutsy Gibbon (permalink) I can confirm testing Epson scanner with Gutsy Gibbon Tribe 2 7.10 beta functions as well as on Dapper. mlaverdiere wrote on 2007-11-11: (permalink) Things are working fine for me now with Kubuntu Gutsy, with libsane 1.0.19-cvs20070505-3ubuntu2 (from official Ubuntu repositories).
:thumbsup: :hug: ;) :thumbsup:

Cluttermagnet

Well, indeed, once I knew where to find XSane, upon opening, it tells me it can't find any devices. Oh, we're running Feisty, BTW, not Edgy. But I assume the same 'brokenness' continued foreward, and perhaps is even seen in Gutsy? Anyway, the 'solution' link is not crystal clear to me.

Grab dapper libsane from:http://www.mirror.ac.uk/mirror/archi...untu4_i386.debthen as rootdpkg -i sane-backends/libsane_1.0.17-1ubuntu4_i386.debThen to prevent the package changing, doaptitude hold libsane
Where do I begin? This author is assuming a higher experience level than I actually have.First of all, "grab" it from... I understand how I would download it. My present 'beginner' status is confirmed by the fact that, in Ubuntu, I still download onto my Desktop.I do not understand what the "as root" command line is doing? Installs it? Something else?I also do not understand the last line. Is that a complete command, run from a Terminal? Would I run that as a user, or as sudo?
aptitude hold libsane

Should I instead be pursuing a different strategy, simply using Synaptic to install libsane?

mlaverdiere wrote on 2007-11-11: (permalink)Things are working fine for me now with Kubuntu Gutsy, with libsane 1.0.19-cvs20070505-3ubuntu2 (from official Ubuntu repositories).
FWIW, my updated Synaptic shows that libsane 1.0.18-3ubuntu1 is available. Is that version any good to me? Edited by Cluttermagnet