• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• teacher

• SonicDragon

Righty Ho :o Here's the deal :happyroll: Another Unsuccessful Install or SO I thought ;) MDK10 would NOT boot into KDESo shut down tried again and I am NOW in GNOME surprise surpriseBUT here are some of the anomoloes--->>> Got a message when configuring LAN--->>>Insmodling module focedeth at /usr/binperl-install/modules-pm line 477The boot screen shows--->>>linuxlinuxnonfb2425-2plus the other twoThink I may messed up again :"> with partitioningBut will show you later what there is in thereCheers for YearsColin still :huh: ;) :hmm: BUT ;) and :D

Well Here's the Partition tale of woe ;) OR is it ???Mount Point--->>>/ = hda1 5.5gswap = hda5 713mb/home= hda6 7.3g/usr = hda7 10g/var = hda8 9.9g/tmp = hda9 996mbDevice hda10 linux native 3.4gPleasae bear in mind--->>>I did NOT GET THE 8TH SCREEN where you could delete /var etc and leave them blankOh well maybe I need some time in Gnome :hmm: But before I proceed any further I would LOVE to know what to do nextColin still :"> and :happyroll: BUT exploring with a :huh:

ColinYou say you got message about the Lan. Are you posting from Drake? If so, then your LAN is working. You have Gnome working. That is good. If KDE does not work we can go to the Configure Your Computer and set it to install KDE. Possibly you miissed checking the box. Go to Add Software and do a search for KDE. See what shows up.

Thanks juliaYes I am in Gnome and yes i got that message while I went to configure lan on the configure 18/19 screen on brunos tips for InstallI'm off into MCC to search for KDEThank you :happyroll: Colin ;)

JuliaThere were KDE packages that could be ticked to installOn the start up after Installing this time again the Screen went as far as the world map "initialising Peripherals" and stopped and hung up right there at 42%Colin

Go ahead and install them. What do you have that is hanging up the initializing peripherals? Do you have anything plugged in besides a printer?

Well SonicBack in GnomeThat got me into KDE BUT no internet connectionThe was a yellow/orange circle in the bottom righty task bar that wanted me to connect online to mandrake )(i think) which may have been to configure the lan connection Colin

I'm not all that familiar with KDE myself... but, you can try clicking on that orange circle and follow the instructions it brings up (if that's what it does). Hopefully that will work. If not, i'm sure someone will be around shortly who knows how to configure an internet connection in KDE.

Hi ColinI will go over this thread after work . . but I see you got Mandrake installed and booting . . . . only this quote:

The was a yellow/orange circle in the bottom righty task bar that wanted me to connect online to mandrake )(i think) which may have been to configure the lan connection
That is not for connecting to the internet but a feature that warns you if there are updates for your computer, you have to subscribe to be able to use it . . . . . and I can tell you it is cheaper to subscribe to the forum-thread "NEW UPDATES" we got here at ATL . . . and you will get the same warnings :happyrollsick: . . . just rightclick and remove that applet ! ;):thumbsup: Bruno

Thanks BrunoYep I still have things ro do to get MDK 10 up to snuffBut will wait until you get back to meEspecially my hard drive partitions OKCheers for yearsColin :happyrollsick:

Hi ColinSo I did read the thread again, but it is all in all a bit confusing . . . . so let us try to get things clear:1). Your 4 port USB hub is buggy2). You can boot Gnome and have internet connection 3). You can boot KDE . . . but have no connection . . So the questions are:4). How do you connect to the internet ? Dial-up ? DSL ? Cable ?5). Is all else working okay in KDE ??6). Is this the same computer we had all those problems before ?? ( 6 months ago )Additional remark7). Your partitions are not really like we wanted them . . . but what the heck, we are not going to install again if things are working :DB) Bruno

Hi Bruno --->>>So I did read the thread again, but it is all in all a bit confusing . . . . so let us try to get things clear:1). Your 4 port USB hub is buggyMY PRINTER ON THE 4 PORT HUB WORKS FINE IN GNOME2). You can boot Gnome and have internet connectionYES3). You can boot KDE . . . but have no connection . .JUST TRIED NOW AND CAN NOT BOOT TO KDESo the questions are:4). How do you connect to the internet ? Dial-up ? DSL ? Cable ?LAN AND ROUTER ON ADSL5). Is all else working okay in KDE ??KDE WAS WORKING YESTERDAY BUT NOT TODAY6). Is this the same computer we had all those problems before ?? ( 6 months ago )YESAdditional remark7). Your partitions are not really like we wanted them . . . but what the heck, we are not going to install again if things are workingI CAN RE INSTALL AND AM NOT UPTIGHT ABOUT DOING IT JUST A LITTLE :angry: Cheers for years Colin :(

Okay so that is that #@$% !! gforce motherboad again that gave us trouble before . . . . . . now we can do 3 things:Search the forum for the old thread, and see what we did to get KDE working ( remember we had exactly the same, a working Gnome and a buggy KDE ) . . . OR: Get all the Updates while we are in Gnome and hope there is some KDE-bugfix that will cure the USB and KDE issue.OR:Just use Gnome and wait a week till Mandrake 10.1 is available for download and hope the KDE problems will be solved in 10.1 . . . ;):rant: BrunoPS: I have a 4th option . . . . . . give that PC to your granddaughter and buy yourself a nice little Linux compatible one . . . :angry: :( :(

BrunoI like the 4th but don't think Joyce will go for it.How about trying for the updates and see what happens???I will need to put the nluug into the repositiry though and will need the commandsBut I am willing to go with whatever you suggest OK!!!Colin :angry:

Hi ColinHere is for the updates . . just open the MCC . . . Software . . . Media Manager and " Click on the "add" button then tick the box "security updates" ( last one on the right ) . . . . Then paste this in the URL box:

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/official/updates/10.0/RPMS

The tick the box "Relative Path to synthesis/hdlist" and paste this in that box:

../base/hdlist.cz

Then click OK and wait for the process to finish . . . . and press OK on the large window . . . this will bring you back to the 4 icons of the software management . . . Now press the "Updates" icon and when asked press "YES" to get the list . . . then tick a 3 boxes: "security" "bugfixes" and "normal updates" . . . . install them all.After that we can see if it did help to get KDE booting . . . . I did find 2 old threads:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...748&hl=kde&st=0http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...139&hl=kde&st=0They are really long, but I have not found yet what was wrong with KDE . . . :angry: Bruno

But I am willing to go with whatever you suggest OK!!!Colin  :(
Hi Colin, :) You could check while you're there and see if there is an RPM named SimplyMepis. If so... download it, unpack it... and with a little bit of luck it should overwrite Mandrake and install itself.If there's NOT! You could put your hands together tonight and 'pray' that Santa will bring you a copy of his. I'm pretty sure he would still have the .iso file to burn one for you. B) Come to think of it: Why would he EVER want to get rid of it. :angry: :rant: Santa's Helpers could also check to see if it works with a Gforce MoBo too... If they had the 'Model' Number. :( HO! HO! HO! Happy Christmas ......... :rant:

Thanks :angry: BrunoThe last time I did updates on the last install of MDK 10 I had to do the security ones first because so far through with all bugfixes etc they stalled @ one or two packages that didn't work.And I had to Security first and then the bugfixes etcSo is it wise to go the same route here OR give all three a try???Colin

STOP Colin . . . . I have found the post ! ( that thread had 22 pages ;) )Read this first:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...indpost&p=86631There you say that KDE is working !!And here is what my instructions were for the install prior to that success:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...indpost&p=86615So go off and read that part of that thread and go fro a re-install . . . . . . ( you could fix the partitions now too . . . just choose NO MOUNTPOINT for the partitions you do not want to use for Mandrake.B) BrunoPS: And just ignore Ozidave . . . . . . he can only think Mepis . . . Simple minds do SimplyMepis :w00t: :P

BrunoPlease excuse the delay --->>O had screen after screen of EVOLUTION opening up on me and had to rebootI have your new/old list of packages as i see there were a few extra.I see Julia suggested after I format / swap & /home just to leave the rest of the drive blank don't even format itIs that the way to goAs I am still :w00t: :P ;) and a little :blink: jus want it spelled outCheers for YearsColin B)

Yep you can leave those partitions blank . . . and you do not need to format the others, the installer will do that for you, the only thing you have to do is tell it on what partitions you want / and /home ( it will find swap itself, no worry )So you chosse existing partitions . . . . and you get a list like here:3.pngJust see to it that only in the boxes of the 2 partitions you want to use there is / and /home and see to it that ALL the other boxes are empty !!!!On the next screen you will see that it wants to format the partitions you assigned here above . . Just let it format BOTH the / and /home.4.png:w00t: Bruno