OOPS MDK 10

kamicota

Hi ALLI'm in PCLos liveRe--->>>You do use the existing partitions Colin . . but just ignore ( leave blank ) the hda7 and 8 ! ( We will put them to good use later )So just use hda1 and hda6 ( hda5 will be swap, it already is so will be recognized as such, bo worries there )YOU CAN DO IT !!!! With --->>> "use existing partitions"Two partions were missing and I put "/" in hda7 and the install hung up at installing peripherals againI could only find kdenetwork-kgetNo kget by itselfSo looks as if the explorer is running true to from eh :hmm: :hmm: :) Colin still :D though

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• teacher

• SonicDragon

Hi "SuperK",When you arrive at the "Partitioning" part of the install, assign as follows:

hda1 = /hda6 = /homehda5 = swap
"...an' das da name o' dat tune." :hmm:

QuintWhen I did that last time I was not given all the partitionsAnd I put the '/" in hda7 and left the others blank as Bruno wrote and it hung up on Instal;ling Peripherals at 42%Colin still :hmm: and :hmm:

Use your existing partitions. When it asks for the mount point for your other two, select the blank line. That will keep it from using them. Take your time. You can do it. :hmm:

Go through and look and see what it has. I would recommend a clean install at this point and create your own partitions.1: swap - 5122. / - 5GB3. /home - 7 GB4. All the rest - unpartitioned for now.

JuliaI'm still a little confused as how to do --->>>1: swap - 5122. / - 5GB3. /home - 7 GBDo I --->>>Erase entire diskCustomise partitionswhich is hda1 hda 2 hda 3 etcColin :blink:

Righty Ho JuliaFINALLY :locked: I have itAnd will write it on brunos MDK10 Installhave to pick up luggage uptown that was lost in the states so should start the install in 30 mins or soThank you SO MUCH for your PATIENCEColin :blink: :D

OOPS :locked: OOPS :D OOPS :"> NO WORKY AGAIN :blink: THINK the only thing I did NOT do was FORMAT the PartitionsSET them as Julia suggestedCould this be the problem as AGAIN it hung up at "Initialising peripherals"Colin :hmm:

Yes SonicI had them with me all the timeand the ONLY thing I can think of that it didn't work was that I DI NOT REPEAT NOT FORMAT THE PARTITIONSSilly MOI eh :locked: :blink: Time for a SHOWER right nowColin :"> :D

Hi ColinYes not formatting was not clever but it can not be why it failed because it will just format it for you . . . . . . It is better though to go in and tell it to format it to Ext3, because the installer might just do Ext2 and that is not what you want !NOW:Pay attention, we are going to do a little trick . . . . You pop-in the CD1 and boot from it, then at the VERY FIRST screen you get ( the welcome screen ) you press:F1You will get a page full of text, NO need to read that all . . . just type at the cursor that flickers down the page:alt1That is "alt" and the number ONE . . . and then you press < Enter > and do the install like you printed in the notes you have.:locked: BrunoPS: disconnecting the un-needed peripherals like Quint suggests could be a wise thing too :blink:

Thanks Bruno and QuintI will do but first I need to go out looking for a Futon so when I get back HOPEFULLY I aM RECHARGED ENOUGH TO TRY AGAIN.This time I will leave the printers off lineSee you all in a few hours.Don't be shy to add whatever comes to mind alsoCheers for yearsColin :blink:

Well we are HomeBut am I READY??? :happyroll: :w00tx100: :( I don't really know so here goes again another Q--->>>Do I format the whole hard drive EXT3 and then partition it as Julia suggests???So I'll calm down a little before the marathon starts again Cheers for YearsColin :( :'(

NOPE . . you partition first . . and then format the partitions before you go to the next screen of the installer . . . it is both done in the same GUI with the same "diskdrake" tool !:'( Bruno

Thanks BrunoAnd I must explain my DELAY in getting back to youFor SOME :clap2: REASON I could NOT connect to the Internet with PCLos LiveYet it came back on this morningSo when I rid myself of a little fear I will try MDK 10 againAnd will post on the forum when the FUN :clap2: :worthy: :worthy: ??? BEGINSCheers for YearsColin

BoyI still have reservations--->>After the 5G = / the 512 = /swap and the 7 g = /home--->>>It seems commom sense to either format the other 27G or so into partitions and format or even just leave it at the 27 gig or does it???OR will they be formatted when I choose another distro to installGuess I am Still this little Worry-Wort after all the hassles I have createdCheers for YearsColin

Sure, you can format the left over space so it will be easier to install other distros later on.If you have around 27 Gbs, i would break it into three partitions, 10 GB, 10 GB and 7 GB. Something along those lines.Tell it to format the partitions as EXT 3, but do not mount them as anything. We don't want mandrake to use those partitions, we want to save them for other distros. Also, when you install this time, don't forget brunos tip from his previous post:

we are going to do a little trick . . . . You pop-in the CD1 and boot from it, then at the VERY FIRST screen you get ( the welcome screen ) you press:F1You will get a page full of text, NO need to read that all . . . just type at the cursor that flickers down the page:alt1That is "alt" and the number ONE . . . and then you press < Enter > and do the install like you printed in the notes you have.cool.gif BrunoPS: disconnecting the un-needed peripherals like Quint suggests could be a wise thing too wink.gif