Mandrake 10 Install

rolanaj

You make me appreciate DSL. While at my sister's I was forced to play wtih dila up. She has an older US Robotics modem and it worked like a dream. I hit it lucky there--it must not have been a winmodem. I can't even imagine needing to pay by connection speed on dial up. That stinks.Julia :whistling:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rolanaj

• Bruno

• teacher

• ross549

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here I am posting from Mandrake 10, that wasn't too painful. It wasn't working I ran wvdial and then I had to change my device to /dev/modem instead of dev/ttySHCFO which it used to be. Presto there it was.My daughter is complaining that I am hogging the computer, wonder why??? o:)I don't seem to have any sound either, surprise oh well that is the next thing to work on.

WTG Glad to hear you got it working rolanajBTW i have the same problem no sound . my sound card isnt supported by linux eveidently . maybe some day i will get rich and buy myself a new one :hmm: or perhaps there is another way :whistling: :url: :P :)

Well here I am posting from Mandrake 10, that wasn't too painful.  It wasn't working I ran wvdial and then I had to change my device to /dev/modem instead of dev/ttySHCFO which it used to be.  Presto there it was.
Hi Rolana, Online ? Great job ! :) . . . . Now we will have to add the other distros to this Lilo . . . just let me know what other distros you want to boot and on what partitions they live. ( We will have a look at the sound later :) ):ermm: Bruno

Hi Bruno,Right now my system hashda1 - windowsMehda5 - Mandrake10hda6 - linux swaphda7 - emptyhdb1 - win_backup hdb5 - drake9.2hdb6 - pdlos pv5hdb7 - emptyhdb8 - linux swaphdb9 - emptyhdb10 - emptyAlso I am having to use the console to start mcc and when I do that I get this:

(rolana:~)$ mcc(rolana:~)$ Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
is this something I need to fix or something??

RolanaTry the following:$su$password# cd /etc/X11/#XFdrakeThen a menu will come up with place to test all your graphic settings and reconfigure them. Let me know how this works.Julia

Hi RolanaIf you run XFdrake . . . go for the defaults that the wizard presents you . . . it will know what settings are best.Now for the GLX: do you have a nVidia card ? . . What about going into the MCC --> software management and see if you can install GLX ?Then the new boot menu: I suppose the one now includes Drake 10 and Windows . . . and you want to add PCLos and Drake 9.2 to that ??I will write a short how-to for you . . . just give me a few minutes to do so ;):D Bruno

PART 2So here is the first set of commands ( needless to say you have to be in Drake 10 for this ):

$ su< password ># mkdir  /mnt/hdb5# mkdir  /mnt/hdb6# mount  /dev/hdb5  /mnt/hdb5# cp -r  /mnt/hdb5/boot  /boot/drake92# umount /mnt/hdb5# mount  /dev/hdb6  /mnt/hdb6# cp -r  /mnt/hdb6/boot  /boot/pclos# umount  /mnt/hdb6

After that I want to see the outcome of these two commands before I can post the entries for the lilo.conf:

# ls  /boot/drake92# ls  /boot/pclos

:D Bruno

Well I tried what Teacher suggested and chose test, the screen got coloured lines covering it. I said it was fine and when I clicked on options it said it could automatically start Xfree at boot I chose yes.When I went into the Mcc and tried to install GLX it wasn't there.I followed your instructions Bruno and this is what happened

(rolana:~)$ suPassword:[root@localhost rolana]# mkdir /mnt/hdb5mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/hdb5': File exists[root@localhost rolana]# mkdir /mnt/hdb6[root@localhost rolana]# mount /dev/hdb5 /mnt/hdb5[root@localhost rolana]# cp -r /mnt/hdb5/boot /boot/drake92[root@localhost rolana]# umount /mnt/hdb5[root@localhost rolana]# mount /dev/hdb6 /mnt/hdb6[root@localhost rolana]# cp -r /mnt/hdb6/boot /boot/pclos[root@localhost rolana]# umount /mnt/hdb6[root@localhost rolana]# ls /boot/drake92boot/  initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img  System.map-2.4.22-10mdk  vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk[root@localhost rolana]# ls /boot/pclosboot/  initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img  vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk[root@localhost rolana]#

HI RolanaAnd you still get those errors starting the MCC ??Now for the multiboot it looks good !!! . . . but I need some more additional info:

# mount /dev/hdb5 /mnt/hdb5# cat /mnt/hdb5/etc/lilo.conf# umount /mnt/hdb5

B) Bruno

#install=menudefault="Mandrake"keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/message-graphicmenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="Mandrake"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="acpi=ht splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyother = /dev/hda1  label = "winME"  table = /dev/hdaother=/dev/fd0        label="floppy"        unsafe
There is the info you requested. When I do the mcc thing now I don't get the error any more, so Teachers suggestion must have worked B)

Great news Rolana . . at least already one problem solved ;)Now, here are the entries for your /etc/lilo.conf:

image=/boot/pclos/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk        label="PCLos"        root=/dev/hdb6        initrd=/boot/pclos/initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img        append="devfs=mount resume=/dev/hda8 splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/drake92/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk        label="Mandrake92"        root=/dev/hdb5        initrd=/boot/drake92/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img        append="acpi=ht splash=silent"        vga=788        read-only

After changing it run

# /sbin/lilo

And try to boot 9.2 and PClos . . . . ;)Let me know if we were successful . . . :DB) Bruno

Bruno, right now my /etc/lilo.conf file has a lot of stuff in it.

root@localhost rolana]# cat /etc/lilo.conf# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this fileboot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="linux"keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="quiet devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux-nonfb"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="quiet devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8"        read-onlyother=/dev/hda1        label="windows"        table=/dev/hdaother=/dev/fd0        label="floppy"        unsafeimage=/boot/drake92/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk        label="MDK-FiveStar"        root=/dev/hdb5        initrd=/boot/drake92/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img        append="devfs=mount splash=silent acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/pclos/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk        label="PCLos"        root=/dev/hdb6        initrd=/boot/pclos/initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img        append="devfs=mount splash=silent acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk        label="old_linux"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img        append="quiet devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk        label="old_linux-nonfb"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk        label="263-7"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img        append="quiet devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk        label="2421-013"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img        append="quiet devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk        label="2425-2"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.img        append="quiet devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz         label="failsafe"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="quiet failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 devfs=nomount"        read-onlyother=/dev/hdb1          label="windows2"        table=/dev/hdb        map-drive=0x80        to=0x81        map-drive=0x81        to=0x80[root@localhost rolana]#
Should I be removing some of this first before putting the other in?

Okay Rolana remove these in RED

root@localhost rolana]# cat /etc/lilo.conf# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this fileboot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="linux"keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux" root=/dev/hda5 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="quiet devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent" vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux-nonfb" root=/dev/hda5 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="quiet devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8" read-onlyother=/dev/hda1 label="windows" table=/dev/hdaother=/dev/fd0 label="floppy" unsafeimage=/boot/drake92/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk label="MDK-FiveStar" root=/dev/hdb5 initrd=/boot/drake92/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img append="devfs=mount splash=silent acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8" vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/pclos/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk label="PCLos" root=/dev/hdb6 initrd=/boot/pclos/initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img append="devfs=mount splash=silent acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8" vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk label="old_linux" root=/dev/hda5 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img append="quiet devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8" vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk label="old_linux-nonfb" root=/dev/hda5 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk label="263-7" root=/dev/hda5 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img append="quiet devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk label="2421-013" root=/dev/hda5 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img append="quiet devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk label="2425-2" root=/dev/hda5 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.img append="quiet devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="failsafe" root=/dev/hda5 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="quiet failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 devfs=nomount" read-onlyother=/dev/hdb1 label="windows2" table=/dev/hdb map-drive=0x80 to=0x81 map-drive=0x81 to=0x80[root@localhost rolana]#

Okay so now I have this

[root@localhost rolana]# cat /etc/lilo.conf# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this fileboot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="linux"keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="quiet devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyother=/dev/hda1        label="windows"        table=/dev/hdaother=/dev/fd0        label="floppy"        unsafeimage=/boot/drake92/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk        label="MDK-FiveStar"        root=/dev/hdb5        initrd=/boot/drake92/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img        append="devfs=mount splash=silent acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/pclos/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk        label="PCLos"        root=/dev/hdb6        initrd=/boot/pclos/initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img        append="devfs=mount splash=silent acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="failsafe"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="quiet failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 devfs=nomount"        read-only[root@localhost rolana]#
Does this look ok or do I have to add the other stuff still?

HO . . STOP !!I see this: root=/dev/hda5 . . . Are we editting the lilo of Drake 10 ??? . . and is Drake 10 on hda5 ??B) Bruno

PART 2 . . yes it is on hda5 . . but how come the lilo from Drake 9 gave me this

image=/boot/vmlinuz        label="Mandrake"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="acpi=ht splash=silent"        vga=788        read-only

a few posts ago ??I am puzzled . . . . If you are in Drake 10 now can you let me see:

ls -al /bootcat /etc/fstab

B) Bruno

(rolana:~)$ ls -al /boottotal 7688drwxr-xr-x 5 root root    4096 Aug  8 17:40 ./drwxr-xr-x  22 root root    4096 Aug  8 15:51 ../-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  512 Jan  8  2004 boot.0300lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      17 Aug  8 15:51 config -> config-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 47295 Mar 14  2003 config-2.4.21-0.13mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 52228 Mar  2 01:53 config-2.4.25-2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 54087 Mar 17 09:58 config-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    5032 Feb 19 12:03 diag1.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16796 Feb 19 12:03 diag2.imgdrwxr-xr-x 3 root root    4096 Aug  8 16:19 drake92/drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Aug  7 12:31 grub/-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  110648 Jan  8  2004 initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  129764 Aug  7 13:22 initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  140905 Aug  7 13:22 initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      21 Aug  7 13:22 initrd.img -> initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      25 Aug  8 15:52 kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  441 Jan  9  2004 kernel.h-2.4.21-0.13mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  537 Aug  7 17:28 kernel.h-2.6.3-7mdk-rw------- 1 root root  534016 Aug  8 17:40 maplrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      15 Aug  7 13:23 message -> message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  442273 Aug  7 13:22 message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  116 Aug  7 13:23 message-textdrwxr-xr-x 3 root root    4096 Aug  8 16:20 pclos/lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      21 Aug  7 17:25 System.map -> System.map-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  582935 Mar 14  2003 System.map-2.4.21-0.13mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  634863 Mar  2 01:53 System.map-2.4.25-2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  898908 Mar 17 09:58 System.map-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  256 Jan  8  2004 us.kltlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      18 Aug  7 13:22 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1252778 Mar 14  2003 vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1403985 Mar  2 01:53 vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1440198 Mar 17 09:58 vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk(rolana:~)$
and
rolana:~)$ cat /etc/fstab/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,ro,exec 0 0none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_backup vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0none /proc proc defaults 0 0/dev/hdb8 swap swap defaults 0 0

Okay . . . that is a big fat /boot you have there . . . LOL . . . . I see you did an upgrade, and that is what did confuse ( panic ) me with all those entries in the Lilo with old kernels . . . . So the versict is: It does look okay . . we should be allright and "linux" should boot Drake 10 with the 2.6 kernel . . . so do

/sbin/lilo

and reboot . . . . B) Bruno

Well that worked great, I booted into Mandrake9.2 and PCLos no trouble at all. I noticed that I have sound in both of them too so my sound problem shouldn't be unfixable.Thank you for the help Bruno you are a wizard. B) :hmm: :D

And mandrake 10 . . did that boot too ???If it did you will want to change one more thing in the lilo,.conf:

boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="linux" <<<<+++++++++++++++++++++++++ Make that Mandrake10 ( no spaces, no dots )keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux"  <<<<+++++++++++++++++++++++++ Make that Mandrake10 ( no spaces, no dots )        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="quiet devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent"        vga=788        read-only
That will look better . . . . ;)Now the sound: Check the soundcard settings in the MCC ( the same as 9.2 ) and see if you have alsamixer, xmms-alsa and aumix installed . . and in XMMS you are using the alsa output plugin. That should be enough to get sound . . but you at least need those 3 files.B) Bruno

Hi Bruno,I tried to install xmms-alsa but it had to remove files to do it and then there were other programs that needed those files so there was some sort of dependency issue and I got an errorDid the other changes you suggested and yes Mandrake 10 boots just fine.

Well I am thinking now that the upgrade might not have went so well, I can not get drake10 to go online at all, kppp just freezes up, eventually a screen comes up saying that it isn't responding and would I like to terminate the program. I say yes and then it gets worse the taskbar disappears as well as the icons and it just sits there. I used skinny elephants to reboot a couple times, it wouldn't even go out of x :lol: Might this be why they don't recommend doing an upgrade? Even more curious is that drake9.2 wouldn't connect to the internet either, said my modem wasn't configured properly, it was working yesterday. I booted into PCLos and here I am.Should I try a clean install of Mandrake 10 or wait and see if this is a freak kind of thing although it happened twice to me and I think once to my son. Computers are never boring are they :huh: :devil:

Hi RolanaNow that you have seen that you could get connected initially ( directly after the install ) in Drake 10 . . I would suggest a clean install, really !! ( Backup the lilo.conf )But before you do, because you can get online with PCLos: make a boot-CD for PCLos: See Here how to do it . . . the only difference is that you need to adapt the code to:

# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk

And just to be sure that you can boot WinME too, make a copy of the MBR on a floppy Backing-Up the MBR with:

# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1

That way you can boot from the floppy into Drake 9.2, PCLos and WinME . . . and if Drake 10 is re-installed you can even use it for Drake 10 too B) :DA clean install goes just as quick as an upgrade . . . and because now you have all the details of how to change lilo, you will be back in perfect shape in minutes rather then hours.B) BrunoPS: For a clean install . . . se the note in red at screen 9 in this thread: Mandrake 10.0 Official Install That will take care of the xmms-alsa too so you will have sound after the install is finished. B)

Actually a clean isntall takes about 1/3 to 1/2 less time than the upgrade! Sorry this route did not work for you. Good luck with the new install.Julia

Ok so I will work on the boot floppies while I wait for vector live to finish downloading, only 3 hours and 10 min to go B) It has been downloading all night, I did it in windows so I could get better speed out of the modem.

Now that you have seen that you could get connected initially ( directly after the install ) in Drake 10 . . I would suggest a clean install, really !! ( Backup the lilo.conf )
Well I did have to download some drivers but I have them on the windows partition too so I shouldn't have to download them again.

Seems that you are all set then Rolana and will hopefully have a smooth install/net-config. :) . . . . Crossing fingers !;) Bruno

I made a boot cd from PCLos and it works fine but when I did

# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1

I was unable to boot from it. Would a windows boot disk work ok because I already have a couple of those kicking around?