Mandrake 10 Install

rolanaj

Well I had hoped to replace or at least upgrade my computer but the extra money I came into, ended up being needed for other stuff (isnt' that always the way).Anyway my PC has been sitting for several weeks as it was having trouble with dust again, I finally borrowed a vacuum with a blower on it and blew the dust out of it, while I was at it I reseated my graphics card and the modem. It seems to be working well except for Mandrake 9.1 thinks i have moved the harddrive and the cdroms etc... every other OS works fine.At any rate I thought it was time for me to install Mandrake 10 (I got the cd's from my adopter just before the computer started acting up again). I was thinking of installing it over Mandrake 9.1, I am under the impression that I am better to do a clean install instead of an upgrade is that correct? Also 9.1 is the lilo I use so what is involved in changing the lilo to the one for Mandrake 10. I have Mandrake 9.2, PCLos PV5 as well as windows. so I should be able to get back online to get the drivers for my modem ( Yeah I know I need a hardware modem, I plan on asking for that for my next birthday which isnt too far away).I am off to reread the installing linux threads and particularily the one for Mandrake 10 is there anything else I should pay attention too? Any and all input welcome :thumbsup:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rolanaj

• Bruno

• teacher

• ross549

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi RolanaUpgrading from 9.1 to 10.0 is not good advice . . even from 9.1 to 9.2 and then to 10.0 might be critical, but it is worth to try in order to see if you can keep the winmodem drivers that work in 9.1 now.In general a clean install is recommended . . . and there is a how-to right here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=264For the Lilo issue: back up the /etc/lilo.conf and the /boot directory from your 9.1 . . that way you can copy the lines you need for the other distros ( and windows ) in the new 10.0 lilo.conf and you can copy the extra directories you previously made in the 9.1 /boot ( /pclos, /drake92 ) over to the /boot of Drake 10.0 . . . that will save you a lot of tweaking ;)So try the 2-step upgrade first . . . you never know if it might work . . . but be prepared for a clean install.:thumbsup: Bruno

I have done a lot of upgrades. Sometimes they work and sometimes they crash. I have had more that work than don't. Bruno has never liked them but I have trie them for a number of reasons. Be advised that an upgrade install takes two to three times as long as a clean install. Julia

Ok so I should try the upgrade first, just pop the first cd in and follow directions basically. I will back up my /etc/lilo.conf and /boot first onto a spare partiton and maybe a floppy just in case ;) I think I should also backup my /home dir and my bookmarks too what about backing up your address book how do I go about that (you would think that is a question I would have asked before now, just took me this long to get tired of adding them into the different address books) I am using evoulution in 9.1All right I am off to back stuff up and I will check back before I dive into the install to see if anyone has any more suggestions. So at what point did you all feel comfortable with installing a new OS, is there some magic number. I am not even sure why it gives me the jitters I have installed windows and Linux both a few times should be old hat. ;)

I don't know if there is a magically point when you feel comfortable. If there is then I passed it a long time ago. I am mucking around on daughter's computer while she is out of town for a week. As soon as I get the XP stuff fixed so she can use it until it becomes mine I plan to start on Mandrake and then whatever else suits me. I ran Mandrake On the Move to test it and it worked fine. ;) I had to resolve some hardware issues first and pulled one of the drives so I could install one of my 160 GB drives. That will give me 200 GB on it so I should have lots of play room. ;) Can you tell I am having fun???Julia

Hi RolanaFrom what i understand you have Drake 9.2 too . . why not set up that lilo as temp bootloader so that at least you can boot an OS when things go wrong and you need to contact the forum ?Simply run /sbin/lilo from 9.2 ( only as soon as you do not want to access 9.1 anymore ;) )But first back up "/home/rolana/evolution/local/Contacts" . . that is your addressbook . . and export the bookmarks of you favorite browser to an html file . . that way you can import it easily into the new distro.Have FUN, . . I am sure you will be fine installing 10.0 . . . . did we link you to: Mandrake 10.0 Official Install already ? ;);) Bruno

SonicDragon

Upgrades are always sort of tricky. It may work out, but i would go for a clean install. However, if you have special win modem drivers and stuff you are trying to preserve, then maybe trying an upgrade first wouldn't be such a bad idea.If you do decide on a fresh install, just back up your /home if possible, that way you can load it right back in and all your preferences will be preserved. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

When I went into 9.2 and tried to do /sbin/lilo it says /etc/lilo.conf: No such file or directorycat /etc/lilo.conf gets the same response.So should I just copy the one from 9.1 into 9.2 and then do the command?

Hi RolanaNo copying the lilo from 9.1 to 9.2 will do no good . . . but what you can do in boot into 9.2, install the lilo package from CD in the MCC . . and then check the lilo.conf ( after the install of the software it should be there ), add the other distros you want to include ( like Windows if it is not added already ) and run /sbin/lilo to write it to the MBR.And at future installs always at least write lilo to floppy if you do not want it written to the MBR :"> . . the script has to be run so that you can use it later ( Or make a rescue CD ).:blink: Bruno

I went into the MCC and couldn't figure out how to add the lilo so I checked in PCLos and it has a lilo.conf file so I think I will just add to it.and then run it.

Hi RolanaPlease check fist if ou have the "/sbin/lilo" executable in /sbin . . . if not go to the package management and install "lilo" . . this is the version for 10.0, so yours is an earlier one:Name: liloVersion: 22.5.8-5mdkSize: 736 KBIf you have that executable then make a "/etc/lilo.conf" file looking like this:

boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/map#install=menudefault="Mandrake"keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/message-graphicmenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="Mandrake"        root=/dev/hda6 <========================== !!!!        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="acpi=ht splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyother = /dev/hda1 <============================ !!!!  label = "win98"  table = /dev/hdaother=/dev/fd0        label="floppy"        unsafe
Fill in the correct partitions where I marked in REDAfter that you can do:
# /sbin/lilo

To write that lilo to the MBR . . . this should at least give you the option to boot Drake 9 and Windows so that in case of trouble you can log in to the forum for advice. :'( ( Not that you will need this safety-net . . . but . . . better be safe then sorry :hmm: )

Hi Bruno,I found the /sbin/lilo, I then did vi /etc/lilo.conf and cut and pasted what you had there changing hdb6 to hdb5 and win98 to winMeWhen I tried /sbin/lilo and got this error message:

Fatal: open /boot/us.klt: No such file or directory[root@localhost rolana]#
So maybe I shouldn't have used vi and cut and paste?

[root@localhost rolana]# ls /bootconfig@              initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img  System.map@config-2.4.22-10mdk  initrd.img@              System.map-2.4.22-10mdkdiag1.img            kernel.h@                vmlinuz@diag2.img            kernel.h-2.4.22-10mdk    vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdkgrub/                message-graphic
There you go :'(

Ok here it is again:

[root@localhost rolana]# ls /bootconfig@              initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img  System.map@config-2.4.22-10mdk  initrd.img@              System.map-2.4.22-10mdkdiag1.img            kernel.h@                us.kltdiag2.img            kernel.h-2.4.22-10mdk    vmlinuz@grub/                message-graphic          vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk

Well we first have to see if it really boots before we can celebrate . . . don't we ?? :hmm: ( Both entries :'( ):) Bruno

So now I can install Mandrake 10 I think I have everything backup that I might need. However I have a question should I use the boot loader for Mandrake10 or continue to use this new one?

HI RolanaThe bootloader we just did set up is just a kind of safety-net . . .for if Drake 10 goes horribly wrong and will not install its bootloader. So this one is only temporary.During the install of Drake 10 you just install the Lilo to MBR . . and that will be the Lilo we will use to include your other distros and Win ME.I just wanted to make sure you could boot in case of troubles and reach the forum for advice . . that is why we did this trick.Did you test this temporary bootloader and check that also Win ME boots ?:'( Bruno

If it is only in case of trouble you come back . . I hope that the first post I see from you is from Drake 10 :) :P :w00t:B) Bruno

Well I try to please but not this time, I am posting from linux B) I tried

[root@localhost rolana]# hcfpciconfigLinux HCF controllerless modem drivers, version 0.99lnxtbeta03042700WARNING: this is an EXPERIMENTAL BETA VERSION of the HCF drivers for Linux.USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! See the file /usr/lib/hcfpci/LICENSE for details.Conexant Systems neither distributes nor maintains this package.PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT CONEXANT REGARDING THIS SOFTWARE!!!If you require assistance or need more information, go to:              http://www.linuxant.com/driversWhen reporting a problem for the first time, please sendus the file generated by "hcfpciconfig --dumpdiag".grep: /proc/ksyms: No such file or directory/usr/sbin/hcfpciconfig: line 1298: [: too many argumentsShould we attempt to automatically configure your hardware? [yes] Selected PCI VendorID=14F1 DeviceID=1036and INF file /etc/hcfpci/inf/hcfv90_linux.infSupported countries:ARGENTINA, AUSTRALIA, AUSTRIA, BELGIUM,BRAZIL, BULGARIA, CANADA, CHILE, CHINA,CROATIA, CZECH_REPUBLIC, DENMARK, FINLAND, FRANCE,GERMANY, GREECE, HONG-KONG, HUNGARY, ICELAND,INDIA, INDONESIA, IRELAND, ISRAEL, ITALY,JAPAN, KOREA, LUXEMBOURG, MALAYSIA, MEXICO,NETHERLANDS, NEW_ZEALAND, NORWAY, PHILIPPINES, POLAND,PORTUGAL, RUSSIA, SINGAPORE, SLOVAKIA, SLOVENIA,SOUTH_AFRICA, SPAIN, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, TAIWAN,THAILAND, TURKEY, UK, UNITED_ARAB_EMIRATES, USAPlease enter your country name [uSA]:Configuring modem for country: "USA"You can change this setting later with the command "hcfpciconfig --country"This package does not contain pre-built modules suitable for your system:  Distribution: Mandrake-10.0  Kernel arch: i686  Kernel version: linux-2.6.3-7mdkPlease obtain the appropriate variant of this package for your systemor try the generic RPM or tar version.
So it seems my modem does not work again :) On top of that I was unable to load Mandrake 9.2 or PCLosMandrake 9.2 freezes at mounting local filesystemPCLos freezes at no gl update for /usr/lib/nvidia/lib required.There also seems to be way too much stuff in my lilo including windows2 which must be my windows backup which is just files no OSSo can I just use the cd for Mandrake 9.2 and PCLos to try and fix them or is there more to this?Off to look for modem drivers again, muttering about %&*@# winmodems :P

On top of that I was unable to load Mandrake 9.2 or PCLosMandrake 9.2 freezes at mounting local filesystemPCLos freezes at no gl update for /usr/lib/nvidia/lib required.There also seems to be way too much stuff in my lilo including windows2 which must be my windows backup which is just files no OS
Rolana is this when you try to boot from the drake 10 lilo ?? . . . . Because that one is not to be trusted on entries other then Drake 10 itself . . . . we have to do some tweaks to get that settled, but that is no problem at all, so we will do that tomorrow . . . just go after the modem drivers for now.
So can I just use the cd for Mandrake 9.2 and PCLos to try and fix them or is there more to this ?
NO ! just leave it like that till tomorrow . . nothing is wrong with those, only the lilo entry for it is not correct and probably the files are not yet in Mandrakes /boot/pclos etc.:) Brunoi

Thanks BrunoI kind of figured the lilo was going to need some tweaking when I saw all those entries in it.I am looking for drivers for my modem right now, I was sure I had the site bookmarked but apparantly not :) Oh well gives me something to do with my time, too bad it has to be in windows it was really nice being back in linux again.

Hi Rolanaj I had the same problem . i first tried to do a clean install to Mandrake 10 as bruno suggested and the install kept freezing up on me . so I then tried to reinstall Mandrake 9.1 and that failed as well . i went through so many tries i couldnt tell you how many . So finally I installed mdk 9.1 just to the point of partitioning and deleted all partitions on the drive . then aborted the install and restarted again . this time I partitioned my hd again and reinstalled 9.1 which went smoothly this time. afterwards I upgraded to Mdk10 and when the configuration screen came up i did not configure my modem . i finished the install and then configured my modem using the MCC . and now everything is working ok . I hope something in this mess helps you .One thing i should mention is that the partitions that i deleted of course were only the ones on the drive that were empty and i was trying to install on .

Thanks georgeg4,This modem thing gets frustrating doesn't it? I have found the driver I need I just have to boot back into Mandrake 10 to see which kernel version I need :) The really bad part about this is that the driver is crippled to 14.4, you can pay and buy the full version but I'm not sure how that works with multiple distros. I am really pushing for a new hardware modem so it won't be an issue anymore. I'm glad you got everything working for you. :P

yep tell me about the modem issues with linux i started out with RH9 and a winmodem and i had all kinds of trouble getting it to work . i then switched to mdk 9.1 and oops no modem . I had to go back to windows for awhile . I now have a cendyne external modem that i got from ebay and it is not supposed to work with mdk either but it does with the built in drivers . when i installed mdk for the first time it said during the install i would need proprietary drivers for it but after the install i tried to configure it and it worked ok and still is . this modem i got from ebay was only $5.00 plus shipping which came to just under $20.00 and thats not too bad to take .if you are interested in it message me and i will give you the info on it .