Mandrake 10 Install

rolanaj

Nope Rolana . . a windows bootdisk does not let you boot Linux . . . but as long as the PCLos one works and you can connect to the net in PCLos . . . then that should be good enough.( Strange that the code for the floppy did not work though ):whistling: Bruno

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rolanaj

• Bruno

• teacher

• ross549

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried again and this is what I got:

[rolana@localhost rolana]$ suPassword:[root@localhost rolana]# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/fdo bs=512 count=1dd: opening `/dev/fdo': Permission denied[root@localhost rolana]#

The first time I got no error or anything it just brought up a prompt. So how come root wouldn't have permission?Maybe it was my syntax because this looks a little better

[root@localhost rolana]# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=11+0 records in1+0 records out

Yes it boots too. Funny I could have sworn I cut and pasted that command the first time. Ok so now I am going to have something to eat and do a clean install of Mandrake 10. :rolleyes:

LOL . . . . glad it did work in the end Rolana . . . . . . . I wish you a smooth install !( And we will adapt the 10 lilo to include all the others tomorrow ):rolleyes: Bruno

I am getting faster at getting the modem going I think. I am posting from a brand new install of Mandrake 10. I had to install kppp and wvdial to get the modem to work.I am still getting that error

rolana@localhost rolana]$ mcc[rolana@localhost rolana]$ Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".

I only get this error if I don't su to root.I have sound so it helped adding those extra packages :drooling:

So already connected to the net, and you have sound now as well ?? Congrats !!The MCC error: Did not that error disappear once you ran "XFdrake" in the previous install ? And what happens if you type "drakconf" in place of "mcc" ?Also did you go through the "Graphical interface" settings on the "summary"- screen during the install ? I usually just press the "configure"-button there and let it search for the defaults and simply accept them ( basically the same as you do with XFdrake, only enen easier :drooling: ):dl-blue: Bruno

Hi Bruno, I tried to add drake 92. and Pclos to my lilo by following the directions you gave me earlier, this is how it went :

[root@nb rolana]# mkdir /mnt/hdb5[root@nb rolana]# mkdir /mnt/hdb6[root@nb rolana]# mount /dev/hdb5 /mnt/hdb5[root@nb rolana]# cp -r /mnt/hdb5/boot boot/drake92cp: cannot create directory `boot/drake92': No such file or directory[root@nb rolana]# cp -r  /mnt/hdb5/boot  /boot/drake92[root@nb rolana]# umount /mnt/hdb5[root@nb rolana]# mount  /dev/hdb6  /mnt/hdb6[root@nb rolana]# cp -r  /mnt/hdb6/boot  /boot/pclos[root@nb rolana]# umount  /mnt/hdb6[root@nb rolana]# ls  /boot/drake92boot.0300            initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img  System.map@config@              initrd.img@              System.map-2.4.22-10mdkconfig-2.4.22-10mdk  kernel.h@                us.kltdiag1.img            kernel.h-2.4.22-10mdk    vmlinuz@diag2.img            map                      vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdkgrub/                message-graphic[root@nb rolana]# ls /boot/pclosboot.0300                     livecd.kltboot.0346                     lost+found/boot.0800                     mapconfig@                       message@config-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk      message-graphicdiag1.img                     message-textdiag2.img                     System.map@initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img  System.map-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdkinitrd.img@                   us.kltkernel.h@                     vmlinuz@kernel.h-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk    vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk[root@nb rolana]#

Seems like there is a lot more things there than there was before.

Now, you did very well Rolana . . . it is all there . . . give me a second and I will make the lilo entries for youB) Bruno

Here they are Rolana:

image=/boot/drake92/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk        label="Mandrake92"        root=/dev/hdb5        initrd=/boot/drake92/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/pclos/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk        label="PCLos"        root=/dev/hdb6        initrd=/boot/pclos/initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img        append="devfs=mount resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent"        vga=788        read-only

:url: BrunoPS: Because you have 2 /swap partitions . . I was not sure which one PCLos is using . . so I made it "resume=/dev/hda6" . . . . . . if that shows an error at boot make it "resume=/dev/hdb8" ( the other /swap ) . . . but basically it should make no difference and you will be okay with what I posted above.

Ok I added that to the lilo but I think maybe there is stuff that should be taken out or is it all right having it there?

[root@nb rolana]# cat /etc/lilo.conf# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this fileboot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="linux"keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux-nonfb"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk        label="263-7"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk        label="2425-2"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="failsafe"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 devfs=nomount"        read-onlyimage=/boot/drake92/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk       label="Mandrake92"       root=/dev/hdb5       initrd=/boot/drake92/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img       append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"       vga=788       read-onlyimage=/boot/pclos/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk       label="PCLos"       root=/dev/hdb6       initrd=/boot/pclos/initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img       append="devfs=mount resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent"       vga=788       read-onlyother=/dev/hda1        label="windows"        table=/dev/hdaother=/dev/hdb1        label="windows2"        table=/dev/hdb        map-drive=0x80           to=0x81        map-drive=0x81           to=0x80other=/dev/fd0        label="floppy"        unsafe[root@nb rolana]#

RolanaIt looks okay to me . . . . you could weed it out a bit . . . but then I need you to post:

uname -rls -al /boot

With that info I can post you a resized Lilo . . .;)B) Bruno

Ok here it is

[root@nb rolana]# uname -r2.6.3-7mdk[root@nb rolana]# ls -al /boottotal 5696drwxr-xr-x   5 root root    4096 Aug 10 16:08 ./drwxr-xr-x  18 root root    4096 Aug 10 11:58 ../-rw-r--r--   1 root root     512 Aug  9 19:18 boot.0300lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      17 Aug 10 11:58 config -> config-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r--   1 root root   52228 Mar  2 02:53 config-2.4.25-2mdk-rw-r--r--   1 root root   54087 Mar 17 10:58 config-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r--   1 root root    5032 Feb 19 13:03 diag1.img-rw-r--r--   1 root root   16796 Feb 19 13:03 diag2.imgdrwxr-xr-x   3 root root    4096 Aug 10 16:07 drake92/drwxr-xr-x   2 root root    4096 Aug  9 19:01 grub/-rw-r--r--   1 root root   96418 Aug  9 19:18 initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.img-rw-r--r--   1 root root  137369 Aug  9 19:18 initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.imglrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      21 Aug  9 19:18 initrd.img -> initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.im                                           glrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      25 Aug 10 11:58 kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.6.3-7                                           mdk-rw-r--r--   1 root root     537 Aug  9 19:22 kernel.h-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-------   1 root root  552448 Aug  9 19:18 maplrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      15 Aug  9 19:18 message -> message-graphic-rw-r--r--   1 root root  442273 Aug  9 19:18 message-graphic-rw-r--r--   1 root root     116 Aug  9 19:18 message-textdrwxr-xr-x   3 root root    4096 Aug 10 16:08 pclos/lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      21 Aug  9 19:22 System.map -> System.map-2.6.3-7md                                           k-rw-r--r--   1 root root  634863 Mar  2 02:53 System.map-2.4.25-2mdk-rw-r--r--   1 root root  898908 Mar 17 10:58 System.map-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r--   1 root root     256 Aug  9 19:18 us.kltlrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      18 Aug  9 19:18 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r--   1 root root 1403985 Mar  2 02:53 vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk-rw-r--r--   1 root root 1440198 Mar 17 10:58 vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk[root@nb rolana]#

Hi RolanaAssuming that the Windows partition on hdb is just storage and does not need to be booted . . . here is how you can slim down your Lilo ( remove the RED parts )

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this fileboot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="linux" <================= Make that "Mandrake10" ( no dots no spaces )keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux" <================= Make that "Mandrake10" ( no dots no spaces )        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux-nonfb"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk        label="263-7"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk        label="2425-2" <================= Make that "Drake10-24" ( no dots no spaces )        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="failsafe"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 devfs=nomount"        read-onlyimage=/boot/drake92/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk    label="Mandrake92"    root=/dev/hdb5    initrd=/boot/drake92/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img    append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"    vga=788    read-onlyimage=/boot/pclos/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk    label="PCLos"    root=/dev/hdb6    initrd=/boot/pclos/initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img    append="devfs=mount resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent"    vga=788    read-onlyother=/dev/hda1        label="windows"        table=/dev/hdaother=/dev/hdb1        label="windows2"        table=/dev/hdb        map-drive=0x80        to=0x81        map-drive=0x81        to=0x80other=/dev/fd0        label="floppy"        unsafe
I left in "Failsafe" becauser that is a handy one in case of real emergency . . . also I left an option for the 2.4 kernel if ever you have a problem with the 2.6 kernel ( unlikely but still )B) Bruno

Well that looks better

root@nb rolana]# cat /etc/lilo.conf# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this fileboot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="Mandrake10"keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="Mandrake10"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk        label="Drake10-24"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 splash=silent"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="failsafe"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb8 devfs=nomount"        read-onlyimage=/boot/drake92/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk       label="Mandrake92"       root=/dev/hdb5       initrd=/boot/drake92/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img       append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"       vga=788       read-onlyimage=/boot/pclos/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk       label="PCLos"       root=/dev/hdb6       initrd=/boot/pclos/initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img       append="devfs=mount resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent"       vga=788       read-onlyother=/dev/hda1        label="windows"        table=/dev/hdaother=/dev/fd0        label="floppy"        unsafe[root@nb rolana]#

Looks Brilliant to me !!!Now just do "/sbin/lilo" and you are ready to try if the PCLos and Drake 9.2 entries work as expected !B) Bruno

Sorry I took so long getting back.
No problem Rolana :blink:
I booted into drake9.2 and pclos without any trouble at all so all is well there.
Great, another Lilo successfully adapted :wacko: . . . . Now if I were you, I would replace the Lilo floppy you made the day before with the new version of lilo you just wrote to the MBR.And, did you already make a boot-CD for Drake 10 ? ( You never can be too sure . . . cover your back . . . ):lol: Bruno

Ok I got the floppy done, still didn't get the boot cd done but I will tonight. I ran into some other problems though. First that glx thing is back and I did what teacher had suggested, rebooted just in case and no luck. I tried to install GLX and it doesn't exist on the cd's apparantly

[rolana@nb rolana]$ mcc[rolana@nb rolana]$ Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".suPassword:[root@nb rolana]# mcc[root@nb rolana]# exit[rolana@nb rolana]$ drakconf[rolana@nb rolana]$ Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".suPassword:[root@nb rolana]# drakconf[root@nb rolana]# exitexit

as you can see I only get this error when I am not root.Then there is kmail there is no entry for it in my menu system Internet --> Mail gives me Kontact and Ksig. I started from the terminal, it started but again more errors:

[rolana@nb rolana]$ kmailXlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".kdecore (KAccel): WARNING: KKeySequence::init( seq ): key[0] is null.kdecore (KAccel): WARNING: KKeySequence::init( seq ): key[0] is null.kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x81160b0 ): KAccel object already contains an action name "kmail_copy"

I had no luck setting kmail up either, seems to me this happened in Drake9.2 as well that is why I was using evoution before. I even seem to recall that once I had set up evolution I got kmail to work.Another problem is openoffice opens with the title bar off the top of the screen, I am unable to grab it to move it and I have to shut it with file-->exit, not really improtant just kind of annoying. :thumbsdown:

Hi RolanaStrange errors you have there . . . . did you prehaps manually change the "host-name" ? . . Did you get the updates / bugfixes ?I seem to remember that Kmail now makes part of "Kontact" . . . so that you have no entry for Kmail would come from that change, but I think you could still make an entry in the menu for it yourself.About that OpenOffice bug . . . I have the same "trouble" here, what I do is grab it with the mouse ( any place ) with the Alt-key pressed and drag it down, as soon as you save the document then it comes up on the screen "normal" the next time . . . :thumbsdown: Bruno

Thanks Bruno that fixed the problem with Open Office. I haven't got all the updates yet so I will do that and see if that takes care of the errors I'm getting.