A good cup of coffee

lewmur

V.T. Eric Layton

People Who Order Coffee Black Are More Likely To Be Psychopaths

MUAHAHAHAHA!

It just so happens that that's how I like my coffee. It's not because I'm a psycho. It's just because I'm lazy. I got tired of the cream and sugar chores for every cup of coffee I drank, so I learned to drink it black. It's actually better that way. You can taste the richness of the coffee; something you can't do when you're drinking those silly overpriced cafe mocha-choca-locka carp you get at StarSucks.

Oh, laziness is also how I started drinking Jack Daniels straight back in my youthful (read as FUN) daze! :)

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

And if you women out there really want to take the measure of a man, don't worry about how he takes his coffee or whisky. Pay more attention to what the inside of his car or truck looks like; that will give you much more insight into his real personality. :yes:

• Like 4

I guess I'm a psychopath too. I can't stand anything in my coffee.

You judge how good a spouse a man will be by the way he treats his mother.

• Like 4

Guest LilBambi

I hate stereo typing .... it's so off the wall.

I don't take my coffee black. I like it light and sweet. It messes with my stomach even that way. ;) But I love me some good strong columbian coffee light and sweet.

Well after almost 20 yrs drinking nothing but coffee I started getting gut pains after the first cup in the morning . Then later in the day I started getting a dull ache in the kidney region. So for the past two weeks I've been having pint mugs of Indian or Ceylon tea instead of my beloved coffee.. Big difference ,no pain or aches. Still getting the adrenalin lift ,maybe not so intense , but nontheless a lift.

Still got the desire for a good cup of coffee though .

Cluttermagnet

As a change of pace, I brew Assam tea from a plantation in India. It is pretty

darned good. Reminds me the most of that Indian restaurant style tea. The

Indians definitely know how to make good tea. Taught the British, they did.

Addicted an entire nation to it, they did. Talk like Yoda, I do... Oh, a few

drops of stevia in mine for enhanced flavor. Honey is slightly better but I'm

cutting down on sugar...

David

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of cooking shows and I noticed that a trick a lot of them used was to add instant coffee to chocolate recipes to enhance to the chocolate flavor. So it occurred to me that maybe the reverse would also work. Added just a 1/4 teaspoon of cocoa powder to a cup of coffee and really liked the results. I guess a lot of "coffee purist" might object but if you're going to put milk and sugar in your coffee, which I do, then why not a touch of chocolate?

• Like 1

I always put coffee in my chocolate cake. I used instant before drip style coffee makers were so prominent. Now I use brewed coffee. It makes the batter very runny and the resulting cake is very moist. (I hate dry chocolate cakes).

I may try adding some cocoa to coffee. I do like Arby's jamoca shakes which is the same principle coffee and chocolate.

• Like 1

The flavor you guys are talking about is called "Mocha", a mix of coffee and chocolate or cocoa.

When served as a beverage, "Caffè mocha" generally includes milk and sugar as well.

There's also a variety of coffee bean called mocha, but that's different.

Edited by Pete!
  • Like 1

Well after almost 20 yrs drinking nothing but coffee I started getting gut pains after the first cup in the morning . Then later in the day I started getting a dull ache in the kidney region. So for the past two weeks I've been having pint mugs of Indian or Ceylon tea instead of my beloved coffee.. Big difference ,no pain or aches. Still getting the adrenalin lift ,maybe not so intense , but nontheless a lift.

Still got the desire for a good cup of coffee though .

Sounds like you just need to give your stomach lining a chance to rejuvenate and the same for your kidneys. I believe it takes ten months for your body cells to replace themselves if treated with respect. Give it a moth or so of coffee free living and then you should be able to have smaller mugs of coffee but less frequently with no upsets.

Green tea is a good alternative as is rooibosh. Bancha tea is super though one cup a day is my limit. :breakfast:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/271452-health-benefits-of-bancha-tea/

Overview

Bancha tea is a Japanese green tea that provides antioxidant benefits due to its polyphenols. Antioxidants help reduce damage caused by cell-damaging free radicals in your body. It can be consumed alone, or steeped along with ginger and umbeoshi plum, says Amy Rost, author of “Natural Healing Wisdom and Know How.” Consult a doctor before adding bancha tea to your diet, especially if you are consuming it for health purposes.

The health warning is for folk who are thinking of taking bancha pills or very strong regular brews. Normal consumption will cause no harm.

• Like 1

There was a time when I added a spoonful of drinking chocolate to the mug of coffee. After about six months the waistband on the Levi's started to get very constricting.

So that had to stop.

There is a lovely tea called Earl Grey. But the very best of it can only be got from Fortnum and Masons. It is flavoured with bergamot.

It also supposedly help skin conditions and reduces anxiety. etc etc.

There was a time when I added a spoonful of drinking chocolate to the mug of coffee. After about six months the waistband on the Levi's started to get very constricting.

So that had to stop.

There is a lovely tea called Earl Grey. But the very best of it can only be got from Fortnum and Masons. It is flavoured with bergamot.

It also supposedly help skin conditions and reduces anxiety. etc etc.

I think you are talking about something like Hershey's Chocolate Syrup which is almost pure sugar. I'm talking about cocoa powder. Big difference.

Drinking chocolate can also be a powder, like Nestle's Quick. It however contains sugar (it might contain powdered milk too I'm not sure because we don't have any in the house) so it is different than cocoa powder. Cocoa powder is powdered cacao beans. It is like Dutch Chocolate.

Drinking chocolate can also be a powder, like Nestle's Quick. It however contains sugar (it might contain powdered milk too I'm not sure because we don't have any in the house) so it is different than cocoa powder. Cocoa powder is powdered cacao beans. It is like Dutch Chocolate.

When you're talking about a cup of coffee that already has cream and sugar, then cocoa powder furnishes only the chocolate flavor. On the other hand, to enhance to flavor of Nestle's Quick, I add instant coffee powder. And, because of my medical condition, I drink a lot of Nestle's Quick as a dietary supplement.

BTW, I just checked the ingredient of Nestle's and it does contain both milk whey and soy.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a newspaper article that is a few years old that says coffee can help stave off Alzheimer's. That's my defense when questioned about drinking too much coffee. :teehee:

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

https://www.ebuyer.com/821281-keurig-k150-single-cup-k-cup-pod-coffee-maker-k150-coffee?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=211853879733&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5LiGg4fR2AIVpbvtCh0nMw0HEAkYAyABEgIfvPD_BwE

Treated meeself to one of these just before Christmas as they were being sold so cheaply. They do make a decent cup of coffee. Bought a set of refillable filter cups so that I can use whatever coffee I like which. These make for a very cheap cup of coffee as the proper prefilled pods are darn expensive over here.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I'll stick with my $12 Mr. Coffee from Walmart. It makes 12 cups. That way I don't have to keep going back and making a mugs' worth every 10 minutes or so like I do when I'm at my niece's house. Her pod-type single cup brewer costs $350. For what the pods cost to make 3 mugs' worth, I could by two BIG cans of Chock-Full-O-Nuts, a 100 filters, and the d^mned Mr. Coffee maker. ;)

• Like 2

I'll stick with my $12 Mr. Coffee from Walmart. It makes 12 cups.
You and me both.

We use 2 - 12 cup Mr. Coffee coffee makers. Mine has the flavored coffees and my husband's has the decaf.

His uses the auto shutoff after 2 hours. Mine is very old and doesn't have bells and whistles. I turn it off anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours then reheat the coffee in the microwave until it is time to brew another

pot in a day or 2.

We went to a dinner at a relative's home. It took forever until everyone was served coffee with dessert. By then my nephew and I were ready for a 2nd cup. (We hesitated to ask for a 2nd cup). The poor hostess spent all her time running back and forth from the kitchen to the dining room.

Edited by zlim
  • Like 2

I have an Oster.

https://www.amazon.ca/Oster-Stainless-12-Cup-Programmable-Coffee/dp/B00B9I765Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515861553&sr=8-3&keywords=oster+coffee+maker

I usually make about 8 cups at a time. The coffee maker uses the typical basket filter.

I used to be real fussy about my coffee blends when I worked in the coffee plant. Today I'll drink anything pretty well as long as it isn't stale. Most middle of the road drip blends are 100% Arabicas anyway. If you want to get a nice custom blend go 60% Colombia/40% Guatamala. That used to be the old Yuban formula back in the 1970s.

• Like 1

I buy my coffee at Trader Joe's and get a dark roast in two different varieties: one from Guatemala and one blend from Nicaragua, Peru and somewhere in Mexico I've never heard of. I mix them in a 3:2 radio before grinding. I'd never use the pods--I use a Mr. Coffee-like drip coffee maker from Cuisinart, mainly because I read an article from a doctor at Harvard's School of Public Health that said that coffee that wasn't filtered through paper filters would boost your LDL cholesterol. Before that I used a cafetiere.

I found some reusable pods for about £1 each and they are easy to use and clean.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reusable-Filters-Brewers-Refillable-Ohuhu/dp/B072X8SV37/ref=pd_sim_201_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VM3GHN4JDC4VT22BTZ0Z

An I normally use Taylors Coffee as they do a decent range, different sterengths and flavours. I notice that Waitrose have them at half price at the moment, but my nearest Waitrose is 100 miles away.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/taylors-degraves-ground-coffee/816132-600892-600893

:breakfast:

• 3 months later...