Thanks Bruno

Stryder

Thanks Teach....it was aggravating, but turned out to be a simple solution. Even if the the solution found us instead of us finding the solution.You are in very good hands for getting through your install. Bruno, Peachy and LilB are the greatest. I never would have done it without them. Thanks again everyone. I really mean it, you guys are the best. Having a big steak dinner tonight to celebrate.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Stryder

• Peachy

• Prelude76

Stryder,Sorry I did not get any email notifications !! ( get 130 a day but not these ! )I think Ryan answerd your questions already !I´m making a post in the ¨Tips for Linux Starters¨ : ¨NIC configuration Stryder´s way¨, A simple how-to: DO NOT INSTALL ! :) :) Bruno

The phoenix install was fine. Why can't all Linux software be so easy. I still can not get updates. Every mirror says it may be down or have a broken link. It connects to Mandrake just fine to get the list of mirrors, but will not connect to the mirrors themselves. ANY.

The Last mirror in the US section is the one that's worked for me... Don't remember which one it is though... just the last one in the list of US sites...

above snd-cs46xx snd-pcm-ossprobeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsialias eth0 8139tooalias sound-slot-0 cs46xxprobeall usb-interface usb-uhcialias ieee1394-controller ohci1394Two things. How do I update security fixes and such and how do I install Phoenix....
The 8139too module is the correct driver for the D-Link DFE-530TX. That's the driver that Red Hat automatically installed in my Red Hat 8.0 and 9.As for Phoenix, just tar -xvzf the .gz tarball (I put mine in the /usr/local/phoenix directory). Go to a terminal and then create an alias that points to the phoenix executable file, something like:alias firebird='/usr/local/phoenix/phoenix &'Then from a terminal window, type firebird, or create an icon specifying the path to the phoenix executable.

Welcome Volunteer !I see this is your first post, thanks and welcome to ¨All Things Linux¨, look forward hearing about your experiences installing Linux ! :)  Bruno
Bruno, I installed Mandrake 9.1 today. I still have to manually install my USB ethernet card. I anticipated this and already ordered two NICs, just in case. I need to install a second NIC in my gateway PC that runs Win98 and two-way satellite software (Starband).I wonder if the Starband software will run in Wine? :D The install was so smooth. I need to play with it now. I like to check everything out.Bruno, thanks for all the good work you're doing in the forum. You might set a record for new linux recruits! :) Ken

Welcome Volunteer !I see this is your first post, thanks and welcome to ¨All Things Linux¨, look forward hearing about your experiences installing Linux ! :)  Bruno
Bruno, I installed Mandrake 9.1 today. I still have to manually install my USB ethernet card. I anticipated this and already ordered two NICs, just in case. I need to install a second NIC in my gateway PC that runs Win98 and two-way satellite software (Starband).I wonder if the Starband software will run in Wine? :D The install was so smooth. I need to play with it now. I like to check everything out.Bruno, thanks for all the good work you're doing in the forum. You might set a record for new linux recruits! :) Ken
VolunteerI see you´re doing great; the install finished, bravo !If you have any questions, just start a thread and I will sure pick it up !For your Starband look here: http://www.google.nl/search?q=starband+Lin...ogle+zoeken&lr=AnytimeB) Bruno

Stryder, are you updating ???Do not install all the packages at the same time, take little groups of 5 or 7 at a time. ( just a bit safer ):D Bruno

Stryder, are you updating ???Do not install all the packages at the same time, take little groups of 5 or 7 at a time. ( just a bit safer ):) Bruno
Now where's the fun in that? :D Using broadband, I had no problems doing all 48 at a time... granted, had it crashed, I would have had to start all over again, but never had problems :)

Guest LilBambi
Sryder,I will raise a statue for you, right here on the Linux square ! You´re a true example, a real Linux-warrior !!:) Bruno
Awesome! Way to go Stryder!So glad the answer finally found you! :)And I agree .... you deserve a drink and a toast! :D :) :) Chalk another one up for Mandrake ... how they can manage to have the easiest installer, but have it randomly fail on the stupidest things!I had a very similar problem with a Mandrake installer for an earlier version, and it was a matter of not installing a single package that finally allowed me to install the system. Go figure!

Stryder, are you updating ???Do not install all the packages at the same time, take little groups of 5 or 7 at a time. ( just a bit safer ):D Bruno
Now where's the fun in that? :D Using broadband, I had no problems doing all 48 at a time... granted, had it crashed, I would have had to start all over again, but never had problems :D
I know, RyanSome people like to live dangerously !But my good friend Stryder had enough problems as it was ! :D Bruno

And I agree .... you deserve a drink and a toast!  :D  :D  :D
Hi Fran,Did you do a little dance aswell on this good news ? :D Bruno

All the installs went fine.....although I did do them all in one big download. Did not see your post until after I already did them. I have not been back in Windows since. I am not dropping Windows completely. But I can see a future where Windows will be used mainly for very specific needs only. I can not believe the difference from 8.0 to 9.1......it is a major jump. Linux is closing the gap very quickly.

StryderYou can´t imagine my joy over this success ! :P It took a few posts, but now that we are there . . . . . Mandrake 8.0 and 9.1 are worlds apart there you are right.One more advice: ANACRON ! If you have your computer not standby 24/7 you do need anacron ! Look in the starters tips, page 1, ¨CRON-JOBS¨ post dd Apr. 22Nothing beats a smiling face looking at the monitor ! :P :P :P Bruno

Stryder --Just knew you would love it if you could just get it going!  B)
You were so right about that. I also really love KDE 3.1. It looks very nice. I never tried Linux until Mandrake7.x, Messed with it for a few days and said no thanks. Then I tried Mandrake 8.0 when it came out, along with a few other distros at that time and thought it was better but still not what I wanted to use on a daily or even semi-regular basis. But now....I am really liking this. And like I said elsewhere, knowing I have somewhere to turn for help is such a huge difference maker. The OS is greatly improved, but just having good help available is such a relief. It inspires you to jump in there head first with no reservations. Thanks again to all of you.....not only for the help, but for being the people you are. I was getting so bored with Windows....I feel a whole new world just opened up to me.

Guest LilBambi

Stryder --I heard that! You are so right!Also, as you saw with the rather odd installation bug that you ran into, (that BTW doesn't seem to crop up with all Mandrake 9.1 installations) things can be very different not only for different Distros, but for different hardware as well.Having a real source of help and encouragement along the way is often all one needs to get past these troublesome experiences so you can get on to really enjoy and learn.Although there is much to like about WinXP, there is so much more to learn and experience!You have just begun a truly wonderful adventure.Enjoy! B)

Stryder --Just knew you would love it if you could just get it going!  B)
You were so right about that. I also really love KDE 3.1. It looks very nice. I never tried Linux until Mandrake7.x, Messed with it for a few days and said no thanks. Then I tried Mandrake 8.0 when it came out, along with a few other distros at that time and thought it was better but still not what I wanted to use on a daily or even semi-regular basis. But now....I am really liking this. And like I said elsewhere, knowing I have somewhere to turn for help is such a huge difference maker. The OS is greatly improved, but just having good help available is such a relief. It inspires you to jump in there head first with no reservations. Thanks again to all of you.....not only for the help, but for being the people you are. I was getting so bored with Windows....I feel a whole new world just opened up to me.
Wonderful sentiments, for sure...you said it all. :unsure: