Thanks Bruno

Stryder

I´ve got 2 extra here ! :huh: ;) :D BrunoPS can´t you rip one out of your other computers ? Do a switch ?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Stryder

• Peachy

• GolfProRM

They are all the same....I bought 10 of them at the computer fair for $50 about 2 years ago. 5$ a piece was too good a price to pass up.

Still stryder,If you´re really brave. . there might be something wrong with the one in there right now, take one of the other 10 and try MDK 9.1 again . . . $5 a piece . . that can hardly be quality ! :huh: Bruno

It works fine in Windows, no problems what so ever. As far as quality, they were the Linksys LNE 100TX. Still factory boxed. Same nic at Best Buy at the time was $20 a piece, so I do not think that is the problem.I will go get a new one sometime this week and give it a whirl.

if you live close to Barrie, i have like 6 extra NICs lying around B) by the way, my SuSE 8.2 didnt auto detect my NIC but i just picked closest match and it works just fine now. some folks have all the luck B)

Stryder,did you try the FTP of SuSE 8.2? i read lots of reviews on the net about diffrent distros, and many many blasted 8.0 and even 8.1 for being rough to install, freeze on some installations, tricky hardware detect, but the old and the new 8.2 are like night and day. 8.2 is getting tons of good reviews, and from mine and bjf123's recent installations, it seems very troublefree.we both had the 5 CD sets, but i first tried the 8.2 LIVE EVAL CD that boots up from CD, and auto-detects hardware. This way, you can test to see if everything, graphics and NIC are all good to go. and if its all good, try the full FTP install. if its the FTP install that you found problematic, i dunno, wait for new version of Mandrake distro, or try Knoppix (lots of people like that one it seems) or look around shady corners of the net for ISOs for the 5CD version. B)

Hey Bruno & LilB, I was able to manually configure the NIC in 9.0, but it asks for a Host Name. What do I need to put in there?

GREAT ! Stryder !Not giving up are you.Anything you like Stryder, mine is drake ! B) BrunoPS sorry it took so long, I got distracted B)

Is there a way to uninstall and reinstall the NIC? Yes, I am assuming. How?P.S. No need for sorry.....Just glad that you can help when you can.

Hi Stryder,Why what happened ? No connection ? Did you try a reboot after install and config ? Sometimes that helps.I once had a NIC gave only lo, could not ping anything, but was right coonfigured ! A reboot did the trick.Uninstall:The NIC program comes as a .gz file I would not know how to uninstall it.The only thing you can do is install it again and re-configure, that would overwite the config files.B) Bruno

Hey Bruno & LilB, I was able to manually configure the NIC in 9.0, but it asks for a Host Name. What do I need to put in there?
Anything you want. If you don't put anything there it will default to 'local.localdomain'.

Is there a way to uninstall and reinstall the NIC? Yes, I am assuming. How?P.S. No need for sorry.....Just glad that you can help when you can.
As root user at the console type:ifconfig eth0 down and then/sbin/rmmod <name of NIC driver>and then edit the /etc/modules.conf file to remove the alias line for eth0

Guest LilBambi

Thanks peachy! That should work great.Was getting the homemade chili on to simmer, and didn't make it back in here to check for Stryder's question. B)

Thanks again for all the help guys. I went down and dusted off the Linux box, Mandrake 8.0 runs just fine on it with the same NIC. So does Suse 7.3. I am kinda **** bent on using Mandrake 9.1. So gonna have to go and get a new NIC if I want to run it on my main PC. Thanks again everyone. We have only hit the tip of the iceberg. I got a fire lit under my butt, so the quest for knowledge is on!!! B)

so the quest for knowledge is on!!!  B)
That´s like music in our ears Stryder ! We will be waiting for you and the new NIC ! B) Bruno

All right, going to get a NIC here in a little while. What NIC is gonna work. I went to Mandrakes site and nothing was listed as "tested". My current NIC is listed as "known" but does not work. I just want to make sure I get one that is not going to give me a hassle. Can't take 3 days in a row of it.....well I could, but it would really suck!!!!

Hi Stryder,Good plan ! About the NIC´s: Quint reported the ¨NetGear FA311¨ to work in 9.1, I use the ¨Sis 900¨ and the ¨3com 3c905¨, my rule is; as long as Linux is clearly marked on the box ( and it´s not a brand new model ) it should work.They say that every NIC is O.K., but I doubt that statement !Good luck ! B) Bruno

Stryder:Just saw that, but YOU can NOT ping anywhere . . . . give me some time to read more.In the mean time, here is a complete list of supported NIC´s, supported by Mandrake:Supported Ethernet Cards 3Com 3c501 - (avoid like the plague) (3c501 driver); 3Com 3c503 (3c503 driver), 3c505 (3c505 driver), 3c507 (3c507 driver), 3c509/3c509B (ISA) / 3c579 (EISA); 3Com Etherlink III Vortex Ethercards (3c590, 3c592, 3c595, 3c597) (PCI), 3Com Etherlink XL Boomerang (3c900, 3c905) (PCI) and Cyclone (3c905B, 3c980) Ethercards (3c59x driver) and 3Com Fast EtherLink Ethercard (3c515) (ISA) (3c515 driver); 3Com 3ccfe575 Cyclone Cardbus (3c59x driver); 3Com 3c575 series Cardbus (3c59x driver) (most PCMCIA cards should be detected); AMD LANCE (79C960) / PCnet-ISA/PCI (AT1500, HP J2405A, NE1500/NE2100); ATT GIS WaveLAN; Allied Telesis AT1700; Allied Telesis LA100PCI-T; Allied Telesyn AT2400T/BT (“ne†module); Ansel Communications AC3200 (EISA); Apricot Xen-II / 82596. Cabletron E21xx; Cogent EM110; Crystal LAN CS8920, Cs8900. Danpex EN-9400; DEC DE425 (EISA) / DE434/DE435 (PCI) / DE450/DE500 (DE4x5 driver); DEC DE450/DE500-XA (dc21x4x) (Tulip driver); DEC DEPCA and EtherWORKS; DEC EtherWORKS 3 (DE203, DE204, DE205); DECchip DC21x4x “Tulipâ€; DEC QSilver's (Tulip driver); Digi International RightSwitch; DLink DE-220P, DE-528CT, DE-530+, DFE-500TX, DFE-530TX. Fujitsu FMV-181/182/183/184; HP PCLAN (27245 and 27xxx series); HP PCLAN PLUS (27247B and 27252A); HP 10/100VG PCLAN (J2577, J2573, 27248B, J2585) (ISA/EISA/PCI); ICL EtherTeam 16i / 32 (EISA); Intel EtherExpress; Intel EtherExpress Pro. KTI ET16/P-D2, ET16/P-DC ISA (work jumperless and with hardware-configuration options); Macromate MN-220P (PnP or NE2000 mode); NCR WaveLAN; NE2000/NE1000 (be careful with clones); Netgear FA-310TX (Tulip chip); New Media Ethernet. PureData PDUC8028, PDI8023; SEEQ 8005; SMC Ultra / EtherEZ (ISA); SMC 9000 series; SMC PCI EtherPower 10/100 (DEC Tulip driver); SMC EtherPower II (epic100.c driver). Sun LANCE adapters (kernel 2.2 and newer); Sun Intel adapters (kernel 2.2 and newer); Schneider and Koch G16; Western Digital WD80x3; Zenith Z-Note / IBM ThinkPad 300 built-in adapter; Znyx 312 etherarray (Tulip driver); B) Bruno

Stryder,According to that bug-report the bug is fixed after RC2, so your ¨final¨ should not be affected. B) Bruno

Thanks Bruno. No way around it I guess.....gonna have to brave the jungle of wires behind my desk.....it is scary back there!!!

Just a bit of info... I've got a $6 Zonet 10/100 card in my machine and Mandy had no problems with it... Stryder, it wouldn't be too hard to find a real cheapie, and I'd bet it would work... here's the info on the one I own...http://www.ditcorp.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId...EN3200&Cc=&tpc=The cheaper cards are going to have less things going on, which means that Linux will work with them better B)

Bruno, heading out the door right now. Keep your fingers crossed. Hopefully my next post will be via Mandrake 9.1!!!

Guest LilBambi

Well, it looks like Stryder is already out the door ... but that d-link and ether express that Peachy mentioned have been a breeze to work with in Mandrake.With all the installs we have done in RedHat, Mandrake and freeBSD, we had good luck and bad luck with cheapy NICs depending on the chipset, at least for out of the box installs. Going with at least a name brand really helps your odds quite a bit. The generic RTL based cards are a real crap shoot. :lol: