Thanks Bruno

Stryder

Stryder:Open a console ( there is a little icon of a monitor right next to your ¨start button¨ )You will get a prompt, type:< su > ( without the < > )and hit enter and when you´re asked; give your root password.Then :< cd /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/tulip >The long name will come inside your prompt, then:< insmod tulip.o > or if that gives an error < insmod tulip.o.gz >here I´m not sure but Peachy knows this better than me:< depmod -a >< cd >< ifup eth0 >< netconfig > to configure your networkcardIf all went well:< ifconfig > will show you the eth0 and loyou should be able to see traffic there and your connection should be UPIf the connection is OK we will change /etc/modules.conf in the next post I start writing right now ! :) Bruno

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Stryder

• Peachy

• GolfProRM

What is X? I know Windows lingo inside and out.....but when it comes to Linux, in the words of Sgt. Shultz...."I know NOTHING!!!" :)
"Shuuultzzz!!!"X is short for X Windows or in Linux, the XFree86 Window system. Your GUI. The equivalent to the Windows desktop interface. :) If you are in graphical mode, then you are using X!

Stryder, hope you´re still there,Editing your modules.conf:< su >< emacs /etc/modules.conf > This will bring up the emacs-editor, there will already a few lines in it, do not change those !Add the line: alias eth0 tulip ( eth zero ! )and safe the file with < Ctrl+x > < Ctrl+c > < y >And you´re done !:) Bruno

Stryder if the command < ifup eth0 > does not work ( in the first text ), try < ifconfig eth0 up > ( eth0 is your NIC ) :) Bruno

1. When I type the insmod tulip.o.gz command it just says "already there" or something to that effect.2. When I type i fup eth0 it says something to the effect of something IP something then looks like it is searching or configuring but never does anything....it stalls just like uisng the graphical interface auto config.

Stryder:Looks like the driver is installed then.What does < ifconfig > tell you ?does < ifconfig et0 up > not work aswell ? :) Bruno

Stryder:Another idea:< ifconfig eth0 down >and then < ifconfig eth0 up >< ifconfig >:) Bruno

Both of the commands you gave me had the same result....it just sat there with a solid cursor like it was trying to do something but never did. I have re-installed 3 times.On boot up, when it gets to eth0....it pauses for a solid minute, maybe two before it goes throught the rest of the boot up process. Not sure if that gives you any clue. It almost seems like it is not getting a signal from the router. Or the router has not assigned the NIC an IP.

On boot up, when it gets to eth0....it pauses for a solid minute,
A solid minute is long but mine pauses to ! Are you sure you use DHCP ? Looks like the NIC does work after all, but cant find an address or something.Did you put up a software firewall ?I dont know if LilBambi is on-line perhaps she could have a look here, I¨ll send her an PMNetworking is just not my strong point. :) Bruno

Stryder,I home now, making dinner, I will be checking in and out while the chicken's roasting in the oven :) How are you getting your IP address? Please detail your network setup for broadband. Bruno may be correct. It looks like the card is working, but it's not getting a packet from your ISP.

Guest LilBambi

Stryder --Try this to see whether your card is actually UP.From a commandline or terminal as su or root:"netstat -i" sans quotesit should show two lines of a 'table' of info, under Iface it should say: eth0 loIf both are there, the card is up.Than try, pinging a known host, like your ISP.ping www.domainname.comSee what you get.if you don't get anything, try:ping your ISP's IP address or another known good internet server's IP address:ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxSee what you get.Please report back.

when I use netstat -i nothing happens. The tables show up, but then it just sits there no info filled in. Just a solid cursor under iface.

My broadband connection is cable, behind a linksys 4 port router set up using dhcp.
What subnet are you using for your internal LAN? 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.0.0? You may want to statically assign an IP address to eth0 like this:ifconfig eth0 192.168.x.xAlso, double-check that the tulip driver is bound to the NIC by typing this at the console:/sbin/lsmodtulip should be one of the line if it is loaded.

Can you type ifconfig > /root/ipinfo.txt and post the contents of the ipinfo.txt file sitting in /root?

Thanks everyone, but I have had all of this that I care to deal with. The exact same NIC works perfectly in Mandrake 8.0 but not in 9.1. Makes no sense. I just spent an hour with Lilbambi doing IM and nothing worked. So after spending 8 hours just trying to get a NIC to work I give up. Time to run home to mama....again.

I guess with NIC prices rock bottom, it wouldn't hurt to try another NIC. The ones I've had success with include SMC EtherPower II, Intel EtherExpress 10/100 Pro, D-Link 530TX+, or any RealTek 8129/8139.

In addition to peachy's suggestions, NetGear FA311 is the one I have, and it was immediately recognized; I have installed Mandrake 9.1 twice, and each time never had to configure a thing. I have a totally generic machine that I built from "good deals". :rolleyes: Also, have it and an old Win98 machine (/w another NetGear FA311) hooked to a NetGear RP614 router - didn't have to configure that either. Best of good fortune with your install; wish I could be of more help.

Stryder, my friend, I´m sad . . . . I´m in tears ! Are you really giving up ?No, Stryder I can´t believe that, I do understand you´re pissed-off big time. You did have a very hard time getting your connection to work.But after a good night sleep, some coffee in the morning, maybe some toast with nice French cheese, ( Oh, no not French, Mandrake is French ) or English marmalade . . . you´ll step outside, the sun on your face ( slightly pale from the agony getting on-line ), you will make a nice little walk on this Saturday morning. By pure coincidence you will spot a shop where they sell cheap generic NIC´s. You will feel brave again Stryder, you´ll feel the energy flowing and pulling out your wallet you will tell the guy in the shop: ¨give me such a nice 3com 3c905 card ! ¨ True it will cost a bit more than the cheap ones, but you will walk home with some real quality, a real gem in your hands.Stryder, don´t leave us, we did appreciate you being here so much ! B) B) B) BrunoPS: Stryder I don´t have any stocks from 3com, so any other NIC will do fine.

Hehe, thanks Bruno.I am not giving up entirely. I want to learn Linux and I am gonna. Might just do a reinstall here in a few minutes and try some more while the kid is still asleep. I moved another computer upstairs so I can easily talk back and forth instead of constantly re-booting into Windows or running up and down stairs to try and talk back and forth. Walk me through manually setting up the NIC during install?

That´s the spirit Stryder !Perhaps, still because of the NIC problems: get yourself another card ! B) Bruno

Hey!!! What an idiot. I just remembered I got the 5 disk Suse 8.0 boxed set downstairs still in the wrapper. I think it is time for Suse install. And awayyyyy we go!!!

You´re a STAR Stryder ! A real warrior !Bet you´ll be up in notime.Get your partitions set up right though, it looks like the new SuSe makes only one, it´s adviceable to have a seperate /home partition next to your / partition, that way you can always keep your personal settings even with swopping distro´s ! B) Bruno

Thanks Bruno, I really mean it. Can not express enough how much I appreciate you, LilB and peachy. You guys are the best!!!! Starting right .....now.

Hi girls and guy'sjust logged on at work this afternoon (after checking on the satellites) and had to check out how Sryders Linux adventure is going. Sounded a little scary in places. B) B) you "guys" just know these commands and stuff off the top of your head?? B) staying tuned.....

Ok Bruno, so you are saying I need to set up a / and a swap and a /home. I made a 6.3gb partition for this install. How should I divide it up?

Stryder:Keep it simple:2G for / ( will give you enough space for aditional programs )4+G for /home500MB for swap B) Bruno