Thanks Bruno

Stryder

Guest LilBambi

Stryder --I am going to ask a couple obvious questions, just to make sure we covered a few points, please bear with me here:1. Have you tried the new D-Link on the Windows side of things since this is a dual boot system?2. Did you check what IRQ and IO address it is using in Windows against what it is reporting for Linux? Maybe there is some sort of conflict.3. Did you do a complete reinstall including re-partitioning so it wouldn't remember any of the old settings?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Stryder

• Peachy

• Prelude76

Guest LilBambi

Stryder --OK ...1. great!2. you can do that in the GUI under HardDrake, which I think is part of the Mandrake Control Panel (remember my knowledge of Mandrake is 8.2 or older). It lists all kinds of Information on the system devices. It is I think the Hardware area we were talking about the other day. Might be good to check, just to be sure. Dualbooting can get interesting with some devices. If the settings are totally different, you might want to move the Windows ones to the settings that Mandrake uses since you know Windows better. Than reboot into Windows to make sure no other conflicts with the Mandrake settings. Then reboot to Mandrake. But see #4 before wasting too much time here.3. Great4. Darn, I was really hoping you would hook it up direct with the cable modem for the install with the new card. That would be the next thing I would try, just to be sure.Good luck! Hopefully one of these things will work for you.

Stryder I don´t get it, nobody on no forum I visited before, I checked today, has reported problems like these. with RC2 yes, but not the final. Do you remember what mirror you used ? So I can have a look there . . . you never know you might have a corrupted or old version . . . and did you do the checksum on your downloads ?<_< Bruno

Stryder,Do< su >< cat /etc/modules.conf > /home/stryder/modules.txt > ( first > is real )< /sbin/ifconfig > /home/stryder/ifconfig.txt >< /bin/netstat -i > /home/stryder/netstat.txt >This will put three textfiles in your home directory ! Click on them, copy the content and paste them in a post.<_< Bruno

Guest LilBambi

Don't forget to copy the files from your /home/stryder/ that Bruno was talking about to a directory on the mount point for your Windows partition because you won't be able to see the Linux side once you get into Windows to get to the Internet on that dualboot system.Then you can post it while you are in Windows here.Or copy the files to a floppy and go to one of our other machines if that's easier for you. :o

Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate your time and efforts. Maybe sometime down the road I will get the itch to try again, but after 3 days of not being able to simply get a NIC (2 known compatible NICs) to work, I give up. In the 8-10 years I have spent seriously involved in computers I have never seen anything as ridiculous as this.

Stryder, I might have something here:Fist uninstall the current driver: < su >< /sbin/rmmod via-rhine.o > This installs it back into the modules dir for you< install -m 644 via-rhine.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/net/ >To test this puppy:Load the module with a command such as < /sbin/insmod via-rhine.o full_duplex=1,0,1 > ( type carefully ! )< depmod -a >< cd > ( come back to the home directory )< netconfig > ( to configure your networkcard )< ifconfig eth0 up > ( will put your connection up ) ( ifconfig eth0 down to kill it )If all went well:< netstat -i > will show you the ¨eth0¨ and ¨lo¨Now try to ping a welknown host like your ISP< ping www.internethost.com >you should be able to see traffic there and your connection is O.K. ( you can stop it witn Ctrl+c )If not, a reboot, after editing your modules.conf ( see next part ) sometimes helps.Now new still have to edit your modules.conf for the modules to be loaded at boot:< su >< emacs /etc/modules.conf > NOTE: There will already be a few lines in modules.conf, do not change those ! Only add the linesalias eth0 via-rhine.ooptions driver full_duplex=1,0,1 debug=0and safe the file with < Ctrl+x > < Ctrl+c > and < y >That should do it !PS : I just was typing this as your post came in !!! :o Bruno

Give it a rest for a few days Stryder, had I read your message before I would not have posted mine !I feel just as beaten as you are !:o Bruno

Ok Bruno, since I am doing another new install, is there anything you would suggest to do to manually configure the NIC? I am at the summary part of the install right now.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!For what ever reason, telling it to not configure during set up worked. I got internet connection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruno,What's the Mandrake equivalent to Red Hat's network configuration tool? In Red Hat, you can manually set the all the network parameters from one tool, including specifying the driver, base address, IRQ, IP (static or DHCP), hostname and then activating/deactivating the NIC.

Amazing!I can only surmise there's a bug in the install routine and that kernel's hardware detect works fine!

Sryder,I will raise a statue for you, right here on the Linux square ! You´re a true example, a real Linux-warrior !!:) Bruno

Stryder,Do you mind posting your /etc/modules.conf ? Just to be sure your connection will be there at your next boot !Do this:< su >< cat /etc/modules.conf >modules.text >Then click on your home icon, click on the textfile modules.txt to open it.copy the text and paste it on the forum.:) Bruno

above snd-cs46xx snd-pcm-ossprobeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsialias eth0 8139tooalias sound-slot-0 cs46xxprobeall usb-interface usb-uhcialias ieee1394-controller ohci1394Two things. How do I update security fixes and such and how do I install Phoenix....

You will want to keep that for later reference Stryder !LOOKS GOOD !!!!But it uses another driver than usual for your card, see there was our problem.Save it Stryder, in a safe place. This is essential info !You will have connection at your next boot, no worries.:) Bruno

Way to go Stryder. Glad to see you could do it!Now what did Peachy call it " Another happy Penguinista!!!! "You are giving me high hope for my future install of Mandrake. :)

Mandrake Control Center -> Software Management -> Mandrake Update... that will do the updates for you..to install Firebird/Phoenix, unzip the tarball into a phoenix folder and then run the phoenix file... no compiling or anything... it will then create a profile for you in your /home/stryder/.phoenix folder. You can then create shortcuts to the phoenix file on your desktop.. You can also make a shortcut in /usr/bin if you want to run it from console with command <phoenix> (without brackets)