SuSE 9.1 d/l

quint

Is it possible to change the upgrade/install source from the cd to a ftp web site
So far I have just downloaded suse RPMs from http://rpmseek.com/search.html?hl=com and click on the file and select "Install with Yast". Almost as easy as apt-get.I would like to configure Yast to use ftp servers as some packages have dependencies . Can Yast be set up like apt, to automatically find and retrieve dependencies?ps.the Suse install was pretty fussy about where it went. It wouldn't let me pick the partition I wanted to use, until I selected the "expert" partitioning opyion Then it was easy! :P :'(

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• teacher

• nlinecomputers

• ross549

nlinecomputers
Can Yast be set up like apt, to automatically find and retrieve dependencies?
In theroy yes. The reaility is no. YaST was only recently GPLd so no one but SuSE could make a YaST repostory. I suspect that we will soon be seeing YaST repositories. In the mean time I would use APT-GET for SuSE. http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/

nlinecomputers
can suse 9.1 read NTFS drives, because I know the 9.0 bootable version could not.James
Since when? Mine does. Both 9.0 and 9.1 Perhaps it was only a limitation of the live CD to prevent you from accidently harming your Windows data.

http://linux.about.com/b/a/093777.htmFree Download of SUSE 9.1 Personal ISOSUSE has changed its controversial policy of not providing free ISO images, as commonly practiced by Linux distributors. SUSE released a complete, bootable and installable ISO image of its LINUX 9.1 Personal distribution. SUSE Linux is a great distro that has been widely adopted by large public organizations and this very welcome news! The download sites can be found at distrowatch. Chris :thumbsup:( * Post merged by Bruno )

I installed it tonite the personal version that is.I must say I like the minimalist approach not too many applications but at least one for each task.I was unable however to locate an email client;kmail icon is a deadlink and couldn't find any email client on the Cd.Other than that I rather like this version. :teehee:

Got an email on July 1 from Novell saying my SUSE package has been sent! I installed SUSE 9.1 Personal on the type of computer that Linuxdude32 (Jason) will be using to teach his Linux course this fall. Must say that I like this version, too. It's got a bit of everything to teach a beginner's Linux course. :teehee:

Looks like we are all in great company. Ross459 and I both got our emails the other day! Time to watch for the mail and decide where to play.Julia :teehee:

Looking foward to seeing Groupwise for Linux!
Since we use Novell Groupwise at work I am looking forward to this as well. I did discover that when I run a live CD on a Novell system it works great. I don't know how I connected to the Internet because I don't remember logging into Novell. :DJulia :teehee:

Julia,You don't need to log on to the Novell network to get your local box onto the Internet. As long as you have a connection to the network you will have Internet access. The Novell client logon is only to authenticate you to a Novell server so that you can access your home directory, shared network drives, GroupWise, etc.

Come to think of it I did not try to access those things while on the live CD. I think I will set up a junk computer in the fall and see what happens at school.Julia :'(

I think I will set up a junk computer in the fall and see what happens at school.Julia :)
L'enseignant ingénieux. ..fortunate étudiants. :'(

L'enseignant ingénieux. ..fortunate étudiants. :'(
QuintYou always come up with the greatest sayings. I am afraid it is just a case of the curious teacher!Julia :)

linuxdude32
Only one detail bugs me . . . my rootpassword is 8 characters/numbers . . and it accepts only 6 . . this is confusing to have a separate password for SUSE then all my other installs ;(
I received a warning because my password was more than eight characters (always are) but it said it would truncate it. Now, I still enter the password fully but it ignores anything past eight characters. Have you tried the full password after the install to see if yours does the same thing, Bruno?

linuxdude32
Got an email on July 1 from Novell saying my SUSE package has been sent! I installed SUSE 9.1 Personal on the type of computer that Linuxdude32 (Jason) will be using to teach his Linux course this fall. Must say that I like this version, too. It's got a bit of everything to teach a beginner's Linux course. ;)
Awesome, Peachy! I'll have to swing by this week and take a look at it. My wife is trying out Linux again. I'm setting her up with Win4Lin so she can do some things in Windows and doesn't have to learn everything all at once. A couple of snafus: SuSE released a kernel update that prevented the machine from booting afterward B) , there was no sound when she used gaim (kopete didn't support AIM group chat which she needed) and gimp doesn't have a gallery function like Paint Shop Pro, but I showed her how to use Konqueror as an image browser. She hates OpenOffice.org (much too slow at loading) so I set her up with Abiword which she has used under Windows XP for a few months. The other thing is that some webpages she has made look radically different under Konqueror but haven't tried them in Firebird or Mozilla yet.

Well, I got this CD installed....My impressions are mixed. There is not much software here at all. I cannot install gaim due to dependency problems.
Hi Adam,Yes you can...I was fooling around with my 9.1 install (from the d/l), and in YAST, there is a place to change/add sources - well, I just entered all the pertinent info from one of the "ftp mirrors" that I used from the FTP-Install, and ;) ...worked like a charm. :lol: Hard to believe all that's there! :D Had just received notification that my "Novell package" was sent on 6/28/04...so I figured this install was "expendable". B) HTH.

Have you tried the full password after the install to see if yours does the same thing, Bruno?
Yep, sure I did . . and it did not work the way you described ( did not accept the full password, but only worked with the first 6 characters ) . . . . Anyway the problem is solved: Nathan posted the solution a few posts later on page 1 of this thread !!:( Bruno

Yep, sure I did  . . and it did not work the way you described ( did not accept the full password, but only worked with the first 6 characters ) . . . . Anyway the problem is solved: Nathan posted the solution a few posts later on page 1 of this thread !!:) Bruno
When you're doing the Suse personal install at the point where it asks for the root password there's an advanced option button click and you can change the default algorithm from md5 at that point.It then accepts passwords longer than 8 letters.I saw from Nathan's post that you can do it after but this seems a little faster for me. :(

nlinecomputers

Speaking of my post: What the heck happened? Why am I suddenly the ghost of Bruce Lee? (Reread the entire thread. Stuff is missing....)

Hi Adam,Yes you can...I was fooling around with my 9.1 install (from the d/l), and in YAST, there is a place to change/add sources - well, I just entered all the pertinent info from one of the "ftp mirrors" that I used from the FTP-Install, and  :( ...worked like a charm. :P Hard to believe all that's there! :P Had just received notification that my "Novell package" was sent on 6/28/04...so I figured this install was "expendable".  :) HTH.
Interesting....I really did not spend much time playing in 9.1.... I thought it was just too bare to be really useful. I will have to try this and see how it works. :D

nlinecomputers

Where is the envious smiley on the fourm? :D Did it come with docs or it is just the CDs. Let us know about number of connections allowed if you find out. That was fast. Novell trying to impress people. :D

Got mine yesterday too..man for the "Cost" this is alot..I like the inclusion of SuSe 8.2 pro , also the 1st 2 DVD are broken down into iso's...9.1 is not

nlinecomputers
Number of connections?The kit is basically just 3 DVD's. DVD3 is 9.1 Pro. :P
Novell in the past has given out copies of it's server products as demos that were limited to two users or two connections. I am currious if that same limits apply here on the groupwise server or is it a full copy because it is linux based.