SuSE 9.1 d/l

quint

Well lookee here:

Departing from its past practice of not providing ISO images for free download, SUSE has released a complete, bootable, and installable ISO image of SUSE LINUX 9.1 Personal. You can find it on SUSE's main FTP server or one of its mirrors, although there is no news about the release on SUSE's own web site. This is a great way to try out SUSE LINUX 9.1 and see its capabilities, before upgrading to the Professional edition via FTP or purchasing the full boxed versions (which includes commercial software). Download from here: SUSE-9.1-personal-x86.iso (700MB) or try one of the official SUSE mirrors.
suse.png(click >---^)Enjoy... ;)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• teacher

• nlinecomputers

• ross549

nlinecomputers

Has anyone found out what SuSE's offical policy is now about redistributing SuSE? I own 9.0 and I downloaded off of a private FTP server 9.1 but I've never been 100% sure if that was legal. In the past you could copy it only for non-profit situations and non-organized functions. A friend can give a copy to a friend but you can't sell a copy(not even for a simple cost of material's charge) nor could LUGs hand out copies to it's members.

Hi NathanSUSE did put out this version on the mirrors themselves . . so they started the free distribution . . Looks okay to me ;)B) Bruno

nlinecomputers
Hi NathanSUSE did put out this version on the mirrors themselves . . so they started the free distribution . . Looks okay to me ;)B) Bruno
Yes I would tend to agree but it would be nice if they put it in writing someplace. A LUG I am a member of got a warning a couple years back about selling copies of SuSE to it's members. We even offered to give it away free but they didn't like that either. Friend to Friend was ok but nothing organized nor anything for anykind of cash exchange. So I like to have that firmly in writing before we do that again....I note that they put up Personal but not Professional. I wonder if that is because it has some items that aren't fully GPL'd(or some other Open Source license) or they are simply not providing that as a means to get you to buy a copy.

Hi NathanThis version does not contain any commercial software:

This is a great way to try out SUSE LINUX 9.1 and see its capabilities, before upgrading to the Professional edition via FTP or purchasing the full boxed versions (which includes commercial software)
So I think there is the crux ;)B) Bruno

SuseThis is a great way to try out SUSE LINUX 9.1 and see its capabilities, downloading now , it looks similar to a version of the desktop and server which were part of a set of two CD's in a magazine I purchased, Version 9.0. I did do an ftp 9.1 install on the desktop and made the necessary changes in Mandrake lilo for a multi boot As to Mandrake 10 on my lap top back reinstalling it , what ever the problem was I hope I dont make the same mistake again Thanks for the suggestions BrunoCharlie

This is pretty cool..got it d/l'd and installed on the PB.. 166mmx w/92 Mb shared RAM..had to do the text install...but KDE and network..internet,,etc.all work..Old Dog computer hanging in therelspci0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 430VX - 82437VX TVX [Triton VX] (rev 02)0000:00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II] (rev 01)0000:00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371SB PIIX3 IDE [Natoma/Triton II]0000:00:08.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c764/765 [Trio32/64/64V+] (rev 44)0000:00:11.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)dhcppc6:/home/barryb # uname -aLinux dhcppc6 2.6.4-52-default #1 Wed Apr 7 02:08:30 UTC 2004 i586 i586 i386 GNU/Linux :) :w00t:

I have the CD ready burned and checked . . . . . will do an install tonight, hope it behaves better then previous versions :DB) Bruno

Well, surprise surprise . . . . . . SUSE 9.1 personal seems to like my hardware ! . . It installed without a glitch . . smooth as a baby . . . ( I had loads of issues with 8.2 and 9.0 )So I am back in the race . . SUSE added to the list of distro's again !! :DOnly one detail bugs me . . . my rootpassword is 8 characters/numbers . . and it accepts only 6 . . this is confusing to have a separate password for SUSE then all my other installs ;(:D Bruno

One request please:Who can send our friend longgone a copy of this CD of SUSE personal 9.1 ?? . . He is on dial-up and can not find it at the CD services he usually orders his CDs . . :D Bruno

nlinecomputers
Only one detail bugs me . . . my rootpassword is 8 characters/numbers . . and it accepts only 6 . . this is confusing to have a separate password for SUSE then all my other installs ;(
One anoyingly stupid setting in SuSE is the pasword settings. I'm in my windows box now but if you go into YaST and into the security section you have the option to change the passwords from MD5 hashed to something stronger. Let me reboot and look at it. I need to patch the kernel on this box anyway....BRB!

nlinecomputers

Ok Bruno. I was misthinking it is MD5 that you want to use not DES which is the SuSE default.If you goto Yast/Security and Users/Secuirty SettingsYou will be prompted for the security level which I set to custom. Next screen is where you configure the passwords, the next is how CNTL-ALT-DEL and shutdown behavior of KDM, next is failed logon settings, then default ID numbers, and then file permissions. On this page you probalby want to enable Magic Keys so that your elephant raising works as it is off by default in SuSE.

Thx . . will check that out right away ! . . . The skinny elephants is a good tip too B) . . . . :DB) Bruno

NathanSuccess . . this was a breeze . . . changed my rootpassword right away . . man this is muchy better !Thanks again !B) BrunoPS: Changed the hostname too . . . . did not like the "linux" . . . . it is on the "uranus-box" so the hostname has to be "uranus" B)

HI JamesBefore you draw the wrong conclusions about the hostname I chose: My computers are named after planets: Jupiter ( The wise and clever one ), Uranus ( the distant and newly discovered one ), Mars ( the small warrior ), Mercurius ( the tiny one ) B) :DMaking new partitions can be a bit tricky, it depends a bit on your setip how tricky it is. You should prevent that the existing partitions get renumbered, because if they do all the distros you have installed up to now could become un-bootable. My advice, before you start, is read This and start a new thread listing the setup of partitions you have now ;)B) Bruno

Well, I got this CD installed....My impressions are mixed. There is not much software here at all. I cannot install gaim due to dependency problems.Now I need to modify LILO so I can get my Drake back... :PBruno, could you post the relevant section from your drake? Thanks!

Sure Adam:

image=/boot/suse/vmlinuz-2.6.4-52-default        label="SUSE"        initrd=/boot/suse/initrd-2.6.4-52-default        optional        root = /dev/hda8        vga = 0x317        append = "splash=silent desktop resume=/dev/hda5 showopts"

;) Bruno

What ?? This is from the Drake Lilo . . . . to boot SUSE ( I only ever use the Drake Lilo . . . it is the best !!! :D )( Did you not make a bootdisk for Drake before doing this ?? )B) BrunoPS: You want this ??????

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk        label="MDK-263-7"        root=/dev/hdb1        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"        read-only

Man, . . Adam, . . my friend, . . . use your brains and start using the Drake LIlo . . :) :D ;)

( Did you not make a bootdisk for Drake before doing this ?? )
Umm.... well....... must have slipped by. I really don't know how that could have happened. :huh: Thanks for the entry. I adapted it for my kernel (I use the 4GB one). You are awesome Bruno! ;) :D :) :D B)

( Did you not make a bootdisk for Drake before doing this ?? )
Umm.... well....... must have slipped by. I really don't know how that could have happened. :)
Why oh why do I not believe thqt line? Somehow I think you did a "teacher" and were lazy and just did no bother. :D ;) Julia :)By the way, I visited the "Ross Farm" today in Nova Scotia. I did not know your farm was quite so old-fashioned. :DRoss Farm

"My impressions are mixed. There is not much software here at all. I cannot install gaim due to dependency problems"Is it possible to change the upgrade/install source from the cd to a ftp web site ?????? Would solve all problems in instaling programs"By the way, I visited the "Ross Farm" today in Nova Scotia. I did not know your farm was quite so old-fashioned. Ross Farm "Hope Teacher you enjoyed your visit , I know the weather wasn't too goodCharlie

Why oh why do I not believe thqt line?  Somehow I think you did a "teacher" and were lazy and just did no bother.  :D  ;)
:o :o :o :o :o teacher.... I am shocked that you would think that I would bend the truth..... :o :o :o :o :o charlie, I have not yet really checked into changing the install source. There is quite a bit of software missing that I use, and i think it might take some time toget it all downloaded and installed. :(