Interesting Stuff You Saw on the I-net Today

crp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
abarbarian

At a Beverly Hills mansion, where an electric truck is your only source of power

As sunset fell across the Hollywood Hills, the chief engineer from General Motors flipped a breaker and disconnected the five-bedroom home from the grid. The lights went out, and less than 20 seconds later, GM’s home system powered it back up, pulling just 5kW or less from the fully charged Chevy Silverado EV parked in the garage.  

This was no temporary solution, either. GM executives promised that the mansion could run for three to four days at that level of consumption before fully depleting the battery. When I left at around 9:30PM, the charge on the Silverado EV had only dropped by 1 percent. 

😎

Bookmem
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, abarbarian said:

So what? It has long been stated that the batteries from an EV that had lost too much range, could still be used for home power outage backup. So naturally a fully functional one would work. But why tie down your EV to do it when you can purchase a MUCH cheaper home backup?

Edited by Bookmem

abarbarian
2 hours ago, Bookmem said:

So what? It has long been stated that the batteries from an EV that had lost too much range, could still be used for home power outage backup. So naturally a fully functional one would work. But why tie down your EV to do it when you can purchase a MUCH cheaper home backup?

Seems pretty neat to me.

If you had a disaster that cut power to your home and you had a EV sat in the garage that could give you power for several days that seems a good deal to me.

I have a 5 Kw battery hooked up to my solar panel and it would not even power the home for a day never mind a few days an it was not exactly cheap either.  🤔

My neighbor did the same thing with his diesel powered pick-up truck and an inverter. It didn't power everything, but it kept his refrigerator running, plus a few lights during a three day outage... I suspect an inverter is a lot less expensive than the cost difference between his truck and an equivalent EV.

I suspect he had some power to spare, because he offered to let me plug in my refrigerator.

• +1 1

Bookmem
On 5/22/2024 at 10:47 AM, abarbarian said:

Seems pretty neat to me.

If you had a disaster that cut power to your home and you had a EV sat in the garage that could give you power for several days that seems a good deal to me.

I have a 5 Kw battery hooked up to my solar panel and it would not even power the home for a day never mind a few days an it was not exactly cheap either.  🤔

Apples and Oranges. A 5Kwh battery with inverter, is less than $1,000 U.S. That truck cost $50,000 or more. If you can afford that truck, you can also afford a backup system for your home that also allows you to use the truck for other things during an emergency.

sunrat

Energy is finite and everything has a cost. Lithium batteries don't last forever, and using electric car battery to power a home will shorten the amount of driving lifetime.

Fuel for a vehicle is expensive and dirty, so only ok for emergencies.

A bunch of solar panels with battery storage is currently the most efficient and cost-effective particularly in an area with a decent amount of sunshine.

abarbarian

From the article I posted about.

Before the event, GM Energy installed a bidirectional charger, which the company calls the GM Energy PowerShift Charger, as well as its own V2H Enablement kit, which includes a power inverter, a home hub that includes a computer system that manages the loads through the house, and a backup battery. The full kit retails for $12,699, but buyers can opt for the individual components at the same price. 

These backup power systems essentially provide microgrids for communities and homeowners looking to insulate themselves from blackouts due to extreme weather resulting from climate change.

🤔

Probably more than what you wanted to know about audio file formats 🙂

sunrat
2 hours ago, crp said:

Probably more than what you wanted to know about audio file formats 🙂

Excellent video! Every music listener should watch. I use almost exclusively FLAC and OggVorbis for music files, with a few mp3s but they are less efficient and don't sound as good. I just finished going through my music collection and deleting dozens of low-quality mp3s because they sound bad.

ExplainingComputers has a great presentation style, all facts and no BS. He's been making videos for 16 years. And now I scrolled through his channel and have another 8 videos to watch. 🙄😁

4 hours ago, sunrat said:

ExplainingComputers has a great presentation style, all facts and no BS.

Every once in a while he throws in a joke.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2024 at 7:22 PM, Corrine said:

Lightning bolt hitting and decimating a large tree in Augé, western France yesterday.

Does anyone see a bolt?

Bookmem
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, sunrat said:

Elvis Presley "That's All Right", allegedly the first rock n'roll song, was recorded 70 yeas ago today. Older than me by a few weeks!

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/Spotlight-Thats-All-Right-Elvis-Presley-by-Tony-Plews.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That's_All_Right

Rock Around the Clock predates that by a couple of years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Around_the_Clock but even that isn't the first. There were bands playing Rock in New Orleans in the late forties. It just wasn't called Rock and Roll.

Edited by Bookmem
  • Like 1

sunrat
2 hours ago, Bookmem said:

Rock Around the Clock predates that by a couple of years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Around_the_Clock but even that isn't the first. There were bands playing Rock in New Orleans in the late forties. It just wasn't called Rock and Roll.

When it comes to music history, one can split hairs about genres down to an atom thick. Genre descriptions are fuzzy in their nature.

What I meant by "allegedly the first rock n'roll song" was referring to one writer's proposition in Rolling Stone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_rock_and_roll#Views_on_the_first_rock_and_roll_record

genre-trouble.jpeg.ddb2bbd79e97df3b234a733716a59818.jpeg

Bookmem
4 hours ago, sunrat said:

When it comes to music history, one can split hairs about genres down to an atom thick. Genre descriptions are fuzzy in their nature.

What I meant by "allegedly the first rock n'roll song" was referring to one writer's proposition in Rolling Stone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_rock_and_roll#Views_on_the_first_rock_and_roll_record

genre-trouble.jpeg.ddb2bbd79e97df3b234a733716a59818.jpeg

You are right in that there is no real agreement on the start of Rock and Roll except for the DJ that coined the phrase. But I was a freshman in HS in 1953 and pretty much grew up in the era and don't recall anyone at the time claiming Elvis was the first. 

sunrat
1 hour ago, Bookmem said:

You are right in that there is no real agreement on the start of Rock and Roll except for the DJ that coined the phrase.

It's probably more about when the name was first used than the first song.

From that link I posted:

Pushing the date back even earlier, blues researcher Gayle Dean Wardlow has stated that "Crazy About My Baby" by Blind Roosevelt Graves and his brother, recorded in 1929, "could be considered the first rock 'n' roll recording".

• 2 weeks later...

I am not putting this in 'the funnies' because I think this is scary. What if it was doing drug dosage?

maybe the 8 years due to it was working well and they just waited for the general signage changes?