Another Install BBQ/Party

longgone

RedHat and Fedora have YUM as a package installer . . . . . . there is one for every taste Dale ! And all that to avoid compliling from source . . . ;)B) Bruno

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• teacher

• Peachy

Top Posters In This Topic

AAhhhhhh ....Am I correct to assume (?????) that they come with easy to follow instructions on how to use/not abuse them ??????

Sure Dale . . . . Absolutely simple to use . . . . ( YUM works kind of like Swaret in Slack ) . . . . . . B) :DB) Bruno

Bruno.....You mean I was correct ... I was just making a SWAG at it too ..... B) duh ... not bad .... on to 10.0 now. I realize that you are on a broadband connection but you might be able to help with this or someone who is on dial-up. Every time I connect I go through the "new connection" procedure in the MCC which is about 10 steps. Am I missing something here so that I might reduce it to maybe 3 or 4 at most?

LOL . . Dale . . . here are the main YUM commands:Updating:# yum check-update# yum updateSearching/Installing/removing software# yum search galeon# yum info galeon# yum install galeon# yum update galeon# yum remove firefox :w00t:You see it is really as simple as you thought B)( Yum was originally made by YellowDog Linux )This is the rep about it: * Multiple Repositories * Simple Configuration File * Correct Dependency Calculation * rpm-consistant behavior * comps.xml group support, including multiple repository groups * Simple interfaceNow the net-connection: Is kppp not installed ?? . . . . if not do install it and after that your connection should be just 2 clicks away . . . ;):hmm: Bruno

Bruno.......I am going out on a limb and say I am pretty sure it is installed. During the installation process when it is doing the network configuration process after I select connect via modem and click that choice, it tells me that pkg kppp must be installed and to put disk 1 in the machine for that, which I did so I think that should have taken care of it. Now is there is someplace else I have to go then I need guidance how to get there (please no trash talk).

:D :D Welllll...... Mandrake 10.0 updates ... done ... bug fixes first ,,, security fixes next ... nothing left .... now other things to take aim at. :'(

Hi DaleIf kppp is not in the menu under "Internet"--> "Remote Access" . . . And is not started when you type "kppp" in a console . . . . Then have a look in the MCC --> "Software Manager" --> "Install" . . . . what happens if you type in kppp ? Do you get to see the package:

Name: kdenetwork-kpppVersion: 3.2-17mdkSize: 1676 KBMedium: Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2)
If so, install it and after that it should appear in the menu ;):ermm: BrunoPS: I think it only installed ppp during install because that one is on CD1

:o :o Bruno,,,All is good, did as you said, to me remote access did not compute (remote = someplace else). Thank you again. :P

:P :o Yes one solved, so many more to go .... Java, a download accelerator, Galeon, and another one I can't remember at the moment. Two are tarballs too (Galeon is one), Java I selected the self extracting version ,,,

Galeon is available in the MCC Dale !! . . . . Add the "contrib" source ( if you have not done it before ):P Bruno

:w00t: :w00t: Bruno...Well I have not done it before, so .... where do I add "contrib" at to do this and since this will install Galeon is there a command I need other than delete to remove the one I downloaded that is sitting in my home directory (I guess it is a directory) at the moment.

Hi DaleYes you can just rightclick and delete the one you downloaded to /home . . . After that open a console and do "su" and after that paste the next line ( one line ) in the console and press Enter:

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.nluug.nl//pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/official/10.0/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

After that process is done open the "MCC --> Package Management --> Install" and type galeon in the searchbox . . . it will come up with the file :w00t: . . and install it :DB) Bruno

:w00t: :w00t: [root@localhost dale]# urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.nluug.nl//pub/os/Linux/distr/Ma...0/contrib/i5886 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.czadded medium contribexamining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 3 (x86) (cdrom3).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 4 (x86) (cdrom4).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]computing md5sum of existing source hdlist (or synthesis)retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "contrib"... ftp://ftp.nluug.nl//pub/os/Linux/distr/Ma...base/hdlist2.czfound probed hdlist (or synthesis) as ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz...retrieving doneexamining hdlist file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.contrib.cz]examining pubkey file of "contrib"......imported key 78d019f5 from pubkey file of "contrib"performing second pass to compute dependenciesexamining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1)"examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2)"examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation CD 3 (x86) (cdrom3).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation CD 3 (x86) (cdrom3)"examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation CD 4 (x86) (cdrom4).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation CD 4 (x86) (cdrom4)"examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.contrib.cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "contrib"found 0 headers in cacheremoving 0 obsolete headers in cachewrite config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg][root@localhost dale]#

Yep that is correct Dale . . . . now close the console and open the MCC --> Software manager --> Install . . . and type "galeon" in the searchbox . . . and install it ;):w00t: Bruno

:w00t: :w00t: Yeah,,,,,It's there on the menu ,,, guess I should start to set it up ... can I do Java the same way and also "application/x-shockwave-flash" or is them not a doable deal that way ??????

Hi DaleDunno about Java . . but the flash YES there is . . . . But first please read this and I will serach for the source of macromedia . . :There is a very important Tip about Softwaresources in Mandrake:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=257Please read it twice and memorize the NOTES I added . . it is very very important !! . . .With all those additional sources you have up to 100GB extra software to your disposal . . . but if they are all "active" you get too much choices . . so load them and make them non-active for normal use . . only if you can not find the package in the regular MDK sources you make the additional ones active . . . . hope I did explain this clearly enough . . :w00t: Bruno

Hi DaleHere is the info for Flash plugin: this is the code to paste in a root console:

urpmi.addmedia flash http://macromedia.rediris.es/urpmi/mandrake/10.0/RPMS with synthesis.hdlist.cz

After that you open the MCC and search for: flash-plugin-7.0.25-1 . . and install it ;):w00t: Bruno

:w00t: :w00t: Okay ... I shall read all up on that. At the moment only reason I feel I should get the Shockwave is that I went to the web site of the mainboard mgfr of the mainboard in my other machine to see if it was or is still available or if there is a comparable replacement and there is a little icon on the page that tells me to view whatever is under it I need that Shockwave flash installed.

The info for flashplayer is above your post . . I think we crossposted :DB) BrunoPS: There is a chance you do need other libs to make flash work once installed . . . but try it first this way

You can ignore that bad signature on this one . . that only means it is not officially packed by Mandrake ( which it is indeed not ) . . so go ahead with the install . . . . . will not hurt the system ;):o Bruno

Hummm.....Okay, on this down load I did of galeon what happened to that home page that they had with the picture of the earth and that big hose like a vacumn cleaner hose on it. Up in the URL line in had portal on my machine but that is about all the info I have about it.

Installed the flash d/l and it works on the web page that I was trying .. so good to go there what is the command to see which version of Mozilla I have with Mndrk 10.0 , logically it should be 1.6 I would think

Hi DaleGlad the Flash plugin works :)For the version of Mozilla . . it is really simple, open up the browser and from the menu-bar: Help --> About . . . ;)As far as Galeon goes: This is an older version you are talking of . . but also on the "My Portal" page ( where all your bookmarks will be ordered neatly ) there is a Hoover and Globe you can click on to get to the site of Galeon . . . And you can click on the "spinner" to get to the same site too :DB) Bruno