Another Install BBQ/Party

longgone

Bruno,,,In order, as far as I know I can not add onto the menu that is listed, nor is there anywhere that I can see to make my own selections by adding it in ... so I shall wait on that one then.I did the mkdir and all for getting Mepis ready to be booted, when I tried to make the cp commands it gives an error that there is not file or directory for that ?????? I have not yet changed LILO to reflect Mepis yet ... does that have anything to do with the errors ???? Morning toooo .... :D

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• teacher

• Peachy

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi DaleLet me know when you are ready and we will do the copy and lilo together step by step, so I can see what is wrong . . I suppose this part was okay:

mkdir /boot/Mepismkdir /mnt/Mepismount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/Mepis

So do only the last command again and show me

ls /mnt/Mepis

:D Bruno

Bruno,,,,Before I do the ls /mnt here is what happens when I try to do the cp commandsPassword:[root@localhost dale]# cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.26 /boot/Mepiscp: cannot stat `/mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.26': No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]# cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.6.4 /boot/Mepiscp: cannot stat `/mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.6.4': No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]#

Yep . . but Dale . . those are the wrong kernels !!! the Mepis ones do not have "-ide" in the name !!Do "ls /mnt/Mepis/boot" and you will see the correct names and can copy and paste them into the command !B) Bruno

B) ;) Bruno,,,This sort of leads me to think that maybe the mkdir cmds did not take[root@localhost dale]# ls /mnt/Mepis/bootls: /mnt/Mepis/boot: No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]#

Okay,, that is a possiblity too, if I re-enter the mkdir cmds, will it overwrite the previous ones if they are there or will it be duplicates ... also here is some more cp mnt info[root@localhost dale]# ls /mnt/Mepis/bootls: /mnt/Mepis/boot: No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]# cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.4 /boot/Mepiscp: cannot stat `/mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.4': No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]# cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26 /boot/Mepiscp: cannot stat `/mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26': No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]#

Ask and ye shall receive ..... B) [root@localhost dale]# ls mountls: mount: No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]# mount/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw)none on /proc type proc (rw)none on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)none on /dev type devfs (rw)none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620)/dev/hda7 on /home type ext3 (rw)none on /mnt/cdrom type supermount (ro,dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0)none on /mnt/cdrom2 type supermount (ro,dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0)none on /mnt/floppy type supermount (rw,sync,dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0)/dev/hda6 on /usr type ext3 (rw)/dev/hdb1 on /mnt/Mepis type ext3 (rw)[root@localhost dale]#

And you are 100% sure Mepis is on hdb1 ??( /mnt/Mepis is mounted . . so we are on the right track )do

ls /mnt/Mepis

B) Bruno

B) This is not the only lost and found I know of .....[root@localhost dale]# ls /mnt/Mepislost+found/[root@localhost dale]#

That means Mepis is NOT on hdb1 !!! . . . . better check what partition Mepis is on and first:

umount /mnt/Mepis

B) Bruno

Bruno ,,, Here it is ....[root@localhost dale]# ls /mnt/Mepis[root@localhost dale]# umount /mnt/Mepisumount: /mnt/Mepis: not mounted[root@localhost dale]#do you think that maybe a reinstall might just clear this all up .... I checked the MCC >mount points >hard drives> and there is a Linux OS mounted on hdb, it does not say if it is Mepis or not, but it shows one being there. On hda it shows Mandrake as having root, swap, usr and home partitions.

No . . no reinstall is needed !

[root@localhost dale]# umount /mnt/Mepisumount: /mnt/Mepis: not mounted
Dale . . this is VERY weird !!Let us try again: do just:
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/Mepisls /mnt/Mepisls /mnt

And show me the result of ALL the commandsB) Bruno

Here it is .................[root@localhost dale]# mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/Mepis[root@localhost dale]# ls /mnt/Mepislost+found/[root@localhost dale]# ls /mntcdrom/ cdrom2/ disk/ floppy/ Mepis/[root@localhost dale]#

Hi DaleNow let me see:

fdisk /dev/hdb

Then press P . . and post me what you see . . then close fdisk by pressing Q;) Bruno

Bruno,,,[root@localhost dale]# fdisk /dev/hdbThe number of cylinders for this disk is set to 7476.There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,and could in certain setups cause problems with:1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)Command (m for help): pDisk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 7476 cylindersUnits = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System/dev/hdb1 1 255 2048256 83 Linux/dev/hdb2 256 1530 10241437+ f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)/dev/hdb5 256 765 4096543+ 83 LinuxCommand (m for help): q[root@localhost dale]#

Hi DaleI am curious what is on hdb5 . . . . . let us have a look

sumount /dev/hdb5 /mnt/Mepisls /mnt/Mepis

;) Bruno

Bruno,,,,,,[root@localhost dale]# mount /dev/hdb5 /mnt/Mepis[root@localhost dale]# ls /mnt/Mepisbin/ dev/ home/ lost+found/ opt/ root/ tmp/ var/boot/ etc/ lib/ mnt/ proc/ sbin/ usr/[root@localhost dale]#

Ask and you shall receive ..........[root@localhost dale]# ls /mnt/Mepis/bootboot.0300 config-2.4.22 map mepis.bmp* vmlinuz-2.4.22boot.0345 mandrake/ memtest86.bin System.map-2.4.22[root@localhost dale]#[root@localhost dale]#

Does look like Mepis . . but it has a strange kernel . . . . . wonder what it is . . . We will see what disto boots from it :

cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22  /boot/Mepisumount /mnt/Mepis

:ermm: Bruno

PART 2Then add this to LIlo

image=/boot/Mepis/vmlinuz-2.4.22        label="Mepis"        root=/dev/hdb5         vga=788         read-only

And run

/sbin/lilo

and reboot into what is called Mepis on your boot menu . . and tell me what disto you get . . :ermm: Bruno

[root@localhost dale]# cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22 /boot/Mepiscp: cannot stat `/mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22': No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]# umount /mnt/Mepis[root@localhost dale]#and here are the results.....

Ho ho . . this is not possible Dale . . . see you post here:

[root@localhost dale]# ls /mnt/Mepis/bootboot.0300 config-2.4.22 map mepis.bmp* vmlinuz-2.4.22boot.0345 mandrake/ memtest86.bin System.map-2.4.22

and now you give the command:

cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22 /boot/Mepis

and suddenly the file you had in the "ls" above would not be there anymore ??again:mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/Mepisls /mnt/Mepis/boot ( if you see the same as before . . then: )cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22 /boot/MepisB) Bruno

Ho ho . . this is not possible Dale . . . see you post here:
[root@localhost dale]# ls /mnt/Mepis/bootboot.0300 config-2.4.22 map mepis.bmp* vmlinuz-2.4.22boot.0345 mandrake/ memtest86.bin System.map-2.4.22

and now you give the command:

cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22 /boot/Mepis

and suddenly the file you had in the "ls" above would not be there anymore ??again:mount /dev/hda5 /mnt/Mepisls /mnt/Mepis/boot ( if you see the same as before . . then: )cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22 /boot/MepisB) Bruno

This post first Dale !!:ermm: BrunoPS: Seeing the kernel, they did not send you the latest version of Mepis . . . but it still should be working . .

Bruno,,,Before I reboot, is this result any cause for concern ????????[root@localhost dale]# kedit /etc/lilo.conf[root@localhost dale]# /sbin/liloFatal: open /boot/Mepis/vmlinuz-2.4.22: No such file or directory