• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• teacher

• Peachy

Top Posters In This Topic

An add-on question here .... I would like to set up a Mozilla mail account ,, with Mandrake 10.0, but, I cannot find the icon to the mail set up wizard anywhere. It was in the lower left corner along with the navigator and the composer now they are the only two there ... I have gone through all the items at the top and I find nothing there either ... HELP ....

I guess you will have to look for "mozilla-mail" in the MCC and install it Dale :D . . . . . Suppose it did not get installed by default.;) Bruno

Ohhhh ..... Okay I will try that but here is a new developement .. I was in Galeon configuring/tweaking (for lack of better description) and now I have between the .... file edit view go etc etc etc line and the address line 4 evenly sized blank fields. It would be as if I were adding a tool bar in but there is nothing in them and I for the life of me have not been able to get rid of them and during this tweak process I managed to delete the primary tool bar the one with the back, forward, refresh and stop icons. When I said I knew just enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be a genius, I was not pulling your leg.

Bruno....Tried what you said about MCC ... got response to use CD3 and then I get the error that it cannot read the signatures on it and it won't install from the CD ... not sure if that is a CD error or the hardware ... Have a new DVD Rom enroute ETD Tuesday. I guess I can wait until it is installed, if that is the problem, if it is the CD any suggestions, is there a downloadable version available ???

Hi Dangerous Dale ( DD ) :D :DFirst Galeon: if you look at the left of those empty toolbars you see a "handle" with three dots in it . . rightclick on the handle and choose "hide" . . . :DThen Mozilla mail . . . I would not care about the missing signatures if you really want Moz-Mail. . . does it not install either if you ignore the message ?B) Bruno

Bruno .....Nope, I get the first warning that tells me the signatures are missing (cannot read the bytes) and it asks if I want to continue, I click on yes, and in less than 3 seconds another window opens up and tells me it cannot install (the entire path? of the program) and it goes no further than that.

Hi DD :DOkay, let us see if we can find another source, go to the MCC --> Software Management --> Media Manager . . . . and post me what sources are listed there ( active and non active ).:D Bruno

Bruno ,,, Okay, wait a bit, am in Galeon at the moment, did what you said but that takes out everything. All those blank lines, the address bar the back, forward, refresh, stop, icons ... all I am left with is the very top of the window .. file edit etc etc

Bruno,,,,, For some unknown reason (probably me) I could not get it to copy/paste so here is what is listed:all four installation CD's are listed and each is checked, update_source listed and checked, contrib listed and checked, flash listed and checked and that is all that is there a total of 7 entries.

Okay we have to add the "Thacs" one . . . . .remember the Tip I linked you to yesterday with all the sources ??Thacs has Mozilla 1.7 !! :D . . . . so once the source is added you type "mozilla-1.7-0.rc2.1thac" and "mozilla-mail-1.7-0.rc2.1thac" . . and install those . . . Here is the source . . . . FIST you have to close the MCC . . and then in a root-console:

urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.0/RPMS with hdlist.cz

Let me know how it goes . . . . B) Bruno

Edited by Bruno

Bruno...Before I attempt this, Mozilla has 1.7 rc2 out according to the Mozilla home page. Am I going to d/l that one or rc1 ??????

This is what I got :::[root@localhost dale]# urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.0/RPMS with hdlist.czadded medium thacs.rpmsexamining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 3 (x86) (cdrom3).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 4 (x86) (cdrom4).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.contrib.cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.flash.cz]retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "thacs.rpms"... http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.0/RPMS/hdlist.czfound probed hdlist (or synthesis) as hdlist.cz...retrieving doneexamining hdlist file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.thacs.rpms.cz]writing list file for medium "thacs.rpms"performing second pass to compute dependenciesexamining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1)"examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2)"examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation CD 3 (x86) (cdrom3).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation CD 3 (x86) (cdrom3)"examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation CD 4 (x86) (cdrom4).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation CD 4 (x86) (cdrom4)"examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.contrib.cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "contrib"examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.flash.cz]examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.thacs.rpms.cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "thacs.rpms"found 0 headers in cacheremoving 0 obsolete headers in cachewrite config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg][root@localhost dale]#

Great . . so that was successful . . . . now open the MCC again and search for the mozilla packages from thac . . . and install them :DDon't go wild because there are many more mozilla packages . . only install those two and if needed the dependencies ( You have to be online :D )B) Bruno

Bruno......Yes,,,,,, "Big Red Lizard" 1.7 rc2 installed and running, and so is the companion mail prrogram (138 backed emails) sheeeesshhhh. .....Thank you, Thank you very much ..... now on to the next project ... fixing Galeon @#@#%$#%^%$##$% :D

Great Job DaleNow fixing Galeon . . . you know what could help ?? Deleting the .galeon directory in your /home/dale and after that starting Galeon fom the menu . . it will recreate the .galeon directory and you can have a fresh start !To see the .galeon directory you ave to "view" --> "view hidden files" in your /home . . ;):D Bruno

Bruno........Due to unforseen circumstances ( :D B) ), Galeon is just going to have to wait or go by the wayside. I deleted it from the home directory, which in turned removed it completely from the menu and the computer. I started the steps all over again and by golly I got this error message .... in order to install the Galeon that is on disk 2 it needs to have "Big Red Lizard" version 1.6 on the machine. Ya know, for some strange and unknown reason, I just do not feel like removing 1.7 reinstalling 1.6 and then installing Galeon and then re-installing 1.7 which in turn just might make Galeon not work, so for now I leave well enough alone.

Hi DD ;)Ooooo man . . that is just bad luck . . . . what a story, you just upgraded to 1.7 and now you need 1.6 to reinstall Galeon . . . What can I say ? . . . . . Speechless . . . :D Bruno

Bruno.............What can you say, apples and oranges are surely not the same as mangos and tangerines ...... in the coming future Galeon will get up dated to "Big Red Lizard" 1.7 also. Now when is a different story and if it is announced where I can see it is a third story. "Onward into the valley of Linux I shall proceed" ... to cause grief, concern, and what ever else comes to mind.

;) For all......This is not a problem post, it is a FYI, I just attempted to d/l and install AVG 7.0 "trial version", the d/l went fine and it does give the option of "open using an application","save to disk", or "open using normal application". I decided to be brave and use the last one since the 7.0 version can also be d/l for Linux too and as RPM (according to the site). All went well the d/l came, it asked if I wanted to install, click yes, it continues on "initializing installation" and then to my surprise another window opens up and says that it needs installation disk $4 to continue. I did that but due to this suspect .. hdc .. unit I got the error .. missing signature ... grrrr ... new hdc on the way .... but ..... in summary .. disk #4 does have some use after all ( :lol: :lol: ), so if anyone wants to give that a shot and see if it works for them ... I would be interested to know your results.Thanks :whistling:

Hi DaleWhy would you install a AGV trial version when there is really no need for AV software in Linux ?? . . . Why install a AV scanner that scans for Windows viri on a Linux box ??Please read: AV Software, and why you don't need itAnd if after that you still want an AV scanner, take F-Prot . . reliable and free ( not only for trial ) :whistling: :lol: Bruno

<_< :) Can someone venture an answer as to why the CD creator program (Mndrake 10.0) keeps coming on at the bottom it says system check ????? .... I have not used it so I got no idea why it is doing that/

Because there is a blank CD in the CD-ROM when you boot ? . . . Or you did shut down the system with one in it and now it tries to "restore the last session" every time you boot . . . . . Best you can do is log out and at the login screen choose shutdown . . . then boot up again . . . . ( If that does not help disable the "autorun" on blank CDs in Menu --> System- -> Configuration --> Hardware --> CD properties . . and try the logout/shutdown procedure again )If even that does not help let me know and we will temporary disable the "restore last session":blink: Bruno

Bruno,,,,Ahheemmm .....no CD in either unit. have not shut down with a CD in either unit will do the last one in a bit .....

Hi DaleIt took me a while to find the setting ( buried deep in Kcontrol ), but here it is: Menu --> System --> Configuration --> Configure your desktop . . . will give you the Kcontrol . . . then: Components --> Session Manager . . . here you see that the box "restore previous session" is ticked . . . change this to "Start with an empty session" . . . . . . reboot and after that put the setting back to it's original position :blink: :DB) Bruno

Bruno ,,,,Okay I shall remember that, I rebooted three times now and it has not come back. but I will keep track of that. Now, how do I get back to KDE ... I clicked on the change sessions in the menu to see if I could get to GNOME just to check it out, now I cannot get back to KDE and I have done one restart and that did not do it then I did a total shut down and that also did not do it. And lastly here. I have tried several times to print out just certain portions of posts here, I highlight them as in copy and paste, but I cannot get them to print. what am I not doing here.