Another Install BBQ/Party

longgone

Once again.... here it is .... B) [root@localhost dale]# cat /etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapvga=normaldefault=linuxkeytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/drake/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk-i686-up-4GB label="Mandrake-10" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/drake/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk-i686-up-4GB.img append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent" vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label=linux root=/dev/hda1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="quiet devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi" vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label=linux-nonfb root=/dev/hda1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-enterprise label=linux-enterpris root=/dev/hda1 initrd=/boot/initrd-enterprise.img append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label=failsafe root=/dev/hda1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdd=ide-scsi" read-onlyother=/dev/fd0 label=floppy unsafe[root@localhost dale]#

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• teacher

• Peachy

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good to me Dale . . . . So now:

# /sbin/lilo

There should be NO errors . . . . . and only then reboot into Mandrake 10 ;)B) Bruno

Here are the results ....[root@localhost dale]# /sbin/liloAdded Mandrake-10Added Mandrake9 *Added linux-nonfbAdded linux-enterprisAdded failsafeAdded floppy[root@localhost dale]#

LOL . . . dunno how you did get the "Added Mandrake9" . . it was not in lilo when you posted it B) :D :D . . . . . Great: Reboot . . . . . . crossing fingers ;)B) Bruno

:D :D B) Bruno,,,,Went back to Lilo and made the change .... well ... will try the reboot .. and maybe who knows I might find a way into the web from 10 ..... B)

;) :D B) Bruno,,,,,,To you, a tot of rum, a pint of beer, you be da man, here here ...... posting from 10. boot up went without a hitch . ... filled in the asked for info after getting into the GUI .... crossed all crossable appenditures ... set up the network connection ... an by golly ... here it is .... eeeyyaaaaa.......... now what else can I tear into :D B) :lol:

HURRAY !!!!!!!Great Dale . . .Absolutely GREAT !! . . . . YES !! B) :DPlease show me

$  df -h

To know what other partitions are in use by Drake 10B) BrunoPS: Before you reinstall XP . . . you have to either make a bootdisk for Mandrake 9.0 . . . or a backup of the MBR on floppy . . !!!

This is what it say (at least for now) B) :D [root@localhost dale]# df -hFilesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1 2.0G 191M 1.7G 11% //dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part6 9.7G 35M 9.6G 1% /home/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part5 3.9G 1.8G 1.9G 49% /usr[root@localhost dale]#I notice also that using the clipboard is a bit different in 10.0 than 9.0 ... this one 10.0 wants double buttons I guess

DaleI added a line later in my last post you might have missed:

PS: Please . . Before you reinstall XP . . . you have to either make a bootdisk for Mandrake 9.0 . . . or a backup of the MBR on floppy . . !!!
Okay now we know for sure that on hdb there is:hdb1 = /hdb5 = /usrhdb6 = /homeI will make a note for future help with installs . . . and yourself: note this down on a piece of paper and stick it on the monitor . . you will need this on moments you can not access the same info on your computer.B) Bruno

:D :D Bruno,,,,,I have a boot floppy for Mndrk 9.0 at the moment, should I also make one for 10.0 (just in case). I think I shall wait till the new DVD Rom arrives it should be here next Tuesday. After I install it than I shall take a crack at the reinstall of XP. Of course in the mean time, I could always try another distro ...... B) oh what to do .. B) .... Thank you for :1. Patience2. Helpand3. Perserverance

I just installed Mandrake 10 Official and bought Mandrake's update subscription and have a fully operating Mandrake 10 machine. I like what I see so far. Had or have a periodic problem with my serial scroll optical mouse but a reboot generally takes care of it. Sound works right from the start not like ver 9.1. I like the KDE deskstop and its Kontact program. I am just using the GUI in Linux still and find that it is quite intuitive. Install took around 30 minutes while I read a book. Very smooth process. I was a standard member at Mandrake but let it lapse because I couldn't get Bittorent to work and rarely could use their mirrors for a complete download of usable CDR's. Made a bunch of coasters and then decided to buy CD's from Linux Central. Everything works fine and I'm still supporting Mandrake through subscription fee of around 25USD. This gave me access to the bugfixes and security fixes available so far. B)

Helping you was a pleasure Dale !!No you do not really need a bootdisk for Drake 10 . . . you are using the Lilo of 9.0 . . so to restore lilo to MBR after the install of XP we only need to boot 9.0 and add XP to Lilo and restore it to the MBR again . . . . . simple job ( only 3 lines to add to Lilo B) ) . . . :D :DHave Fun with your Drake 10 . . . . . . ( Did you know you can make the taskbar transparent in KDE 3.2 ? . . . The look and feel section is a great place to start tweaking the appearence of your desktop :D )B) Bruno

I just installed Mandrake 10 Official and bought Mandrake's update subscription and have a fully operating Mandrake 10 machine.  I like what I see so far.  Had or have a periodic problem with my serial scroll optical mouse but a reboot generally takes care of it.  Sound works right from the start not like ver 9.1.  I like the KDE deskstop and its Kontact program.  I am just using the GUI in Linux still and find that it is quite intuitive.  Install took around 30 minutes while I read a book.  Very smooth process.  I was a standard member  at Mandrake but let it lapse because I couldn't get Bittorent to work and rarely could use their mirrors for a complete download of usable CDR's.  Made a bunch of coasters and then decided to buy CD's  from Linux Central.  Everything works fine and I'm still supporting Mandrake through subscription fee of around 25USD.  This gave me access to the bugfixes and security fixes available so far.  B)
Glad all went well for you Rob . . . . and supporting Mandrake is a good thing !! ( though you can get the updates for free ):D Bruno

Hummmmm ..........  transparent  ...    might  just have to  have a  look at that  ...  soon  as  I figure it out    :D
I will let you find out yourself Dale . . . . that is the fun of the game :D . . . . . :DDo not forget the updates ( for you on dial-up do the bug-fixes first B) )B) Bruno

:P :o :o (oh no!!!)Bruno,,,,,Updates,,,,, might those be the updates I should have gotten during the installation but I couldn't since I could not hook up to the web???? Also to where should I direct my quest for these ... maybe .. mandrakesoft.com ... or is that way off base.

Hi DaleWe always have to do the updates again after the install . . . simply go to the MCC --> Package Management --> Updates and it will present you a list of mirrors to get it from . . . just pick a mirror from "The Netherlands" ( nluug ) and start with getting the bug-fixes . . . . you can do the security updates another day . . . . . ( on dial-up the security are less important then the bug-fixes ):P Bruno

:rant: Bruno,,,Okay, I shall do that .... before that though, I have a question (don't I always) about this "form manager" that is in the tools drop down menu. In windows, if I want to enter information, email address or other wise, all I had to do was double click on the specific item and if it was recognized it was automagically filled in. How can I also accomplish this in Mandrake or I would guess it would apply to all Linux distros, of course maybe not...Why should I use the "Netherlands"..... are they fastest?????

Use the Netherlands because they have huge servers there with lots of connection capability. That makes them the fastest around. I have tried the different ones and always come up with the nluug site being the fastest. It is not because we have Bruno here :rant: but because they really are the fastest and they always seem to have the latest!Try right-clicking in Galeon. There are a wealth of options there. You can also go in and set it to where you type whatever you want to go to a web page. You can set it up so ATL takes you to this part of the forum. Explore a little bit and you will be happy with the results. I woudl give you exact commands but I am forced to type this from Firefox as they won't let me install Drake here at work.Julia :)

:rant: :) Teacher,,,,I sort of figured that was the reason Bruno recommended them, I have seen that same line of thought throughtout the forums. That shall then be where I go, BTW, since I really am lousy at d/lding anything using Linux, I can guarantee I will need help, but I will come back later for that.Thanks for the tip on Galeon, does that also apply to "Red Lizard" (Mozilla), since that is what I am in right now. I still need to get Galeon all set up first.

My right click on Firefox (related to the Mozilla) does not have near the options I get with Galeon. Once you get in the habit of right clicking you really get spoiled.To download your updates:Star --> Configuration --> Configure Your Computer --> Software Tab --> Updates --> Click on the bug fixes to select that option and then go down to your list and check the top button that says select all and then the update button. It is really that simple! Julia :rant:

:rant: :) Teacher,,,,Sounds simple enough (now it remains to be seen if I can do it), that will be the challenge. I have great problems with the whole d/l process in Linux, to be exact say I find a software item I want to d/l (i.e. Java, Flash Player, etc etc) I click on said software and a window opens up asking me if I want to open it using an "application or do I want to "save to disk", well I am totally lost, out to lunch, in the dark about the "open using an application" part so I save to disk. It is after the software is d/l to the disk where it really gets dark, in the off chance I can find it (usually it is in "home") then comes the part about installing it, that is where it just all goes to pot. That is where I need great amounts of patience and instruction on/in so that I can just be almost like using XP, not quite point and click, but maybe that with a couple extras steps involved.

DaleI don't think you will have those problems here because those questions will not be asked. Instead it will simply do it. You will find the software tab on Configure My Computer to be the easiest way to install anything you want in Mandrake. It takes care of all the dependencies and anthing peculiar about the install!Julia :rant:

:rant: :) Teacher,,,Posting from Mndrk 10 ..... just did the downloads and installs for all the bug fixes ... went just as you said ... HOWEVER ....I should have payed closer attention to how many there were there (56) ... I might have done them in smaller batches than all at once ... oh well ... live and learn ....But I think you might have misunderstood me ... when I was refering to the "use application" or "save to disk" (unless I am going to say something I have not run across here yet), in RH and Mndrake 9.0 when I would some software that window would open up and usually I let it save to disk, It was after it was d/l to the disk and time to install it where I have the problems and as of yet to this date ... I still have not made a successful installation of a software program I have d/l from a web site.

Hi DaleI picked out this quote:

well I am totally lost, out to lunch, in the dark about the "open using an application" part so I save to disk
Dale you always save it to disk . . to install it later. But I would advice you to only use the MCC --> Package manager for installing software . . because then you know it is specially made and packed for Mandrake 10.0 Official . . . . Even Flash is now available there . . . . The only thing is that you have to be online while installing, so the dependencies can be resolved automatically. ;)B) Bruno

PART 2Dale . . about the browser plugins . . . . if you have them in drake 9.0 you can just copy them over from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins . . . . . OR I can send them to you ( 1.8 MB ) and all you have to do then is copy them to that directory . . . . that makes it all much simpler.Note you have to install 2 extra libs from CD to make them work: libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm and libstdc++2.10-devel-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm . . . . . if you can not find them on CD look here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=ST&f=14&t=6632 ( 3rd post ) there are links where you can download them . . . . after that just clicking on the files will install them ;)B) Bruno

Breuno,,Okay, that is good to know for 10.0, but I would still have the installation situation in Slack or whatever other OS I put in. I started out in RH and since then have been in Mandrake an Slack. But I have never (except once) gotten a software program that I d/l'd from the web to install. I know it is just me not knowing the steps to take to get it installed.

DaleAbout the packages . . . they come in many dirfferent forms . . and all of them have their own way of installing . . 1). The easiest is the URPMI you do in the MCC2). Then there are the "normal" RPM packages . . generally they have to fit your distro and then you do

rpm -ihv package_name.rpm

form the directory you saved them in. It will warn you if there are missing dependencies and which ones they are . . in that case yopu have to go out on the Net and look for those and install them first before doing the RPM-command again.3). Slack and deb packages . . . for these there is an installer program like the one in the MCC that does the installing for you.4). Tar-Balls . . . . these are the worst and generally the most difficult . . they have to be compiled from source. And the big problem is that it most of the times compiles well on the computer of the one who made them . . but you almost have to have the same configuration as him to complile it without encountering any problems. . . It can be done though, but can take days before you have cleared out all the obstacles on the way.For all 4 . . see the Software section in The Tips . . . ;)B) Bruno

B) :hmm: Okay, so URPMI is good, but it is mainly for Mandrake, yes - no , and Slack/Debian have there own that is similiar to the MCC one.Now that leaves, say Fedora with its own situations/problems as well as all them other critters too. I guess this is what makes it a challenge to the gray matter, can't let them brain cells sit around and stagnate. :lol: :lol: