Another Install BBQ/Party

longgone

YES !! This is of great concern . . . . . you missed a few posts Dale !! . . see my 2 posts above your last post !!:ermm: Bruno

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• teacher

• Peachy

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruno,,,,,I am not sure what is wrong but I have made all the posts, I made the change to LILO, I went back and checked it, I inserted it as the first one on the list if that makes any difference I am not sure. Here is what I have so far, but I have not tried to reboot yet. am waiting to get phase one straight first .... :ermm: B) Password:[root@localhost dale]# cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22 /boot/Mepiscp: cannot stat `/mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22': No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]# umount/mnt/Mepisbash: umount/mnt/Mepis: No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]# kedit /etc/lilo.conf[root@localhost dale]# /sbin/liloFatal: open /boot/Mepis/vmlinuz-2.4.22: No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]# cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22 /boot/Mepiscp: cannot stat `/mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22': No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]#

DaleHere are all the commands again we start all over . . . . . but at the first errormessage you get you have to stop and report back, because ignoring the error massage is no good !! ( in your post above it is full of error messages . . . . . )

mount  /dev/hda5  /mnt/Mepiscp  /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22  /boot/Mepisumount  /mnt/Mepis

:ermm: Bruno

Bruno,,,,,A question,,,, why are we all of a sudden using hda .... Mepis is on hdb ... Mandrake is on hda ... did I miss something here ?????

Sorry my mistake !!

mount  /dev/hdb5  /mnt/Mepiscp  /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22  /boot/Mepisumount  /mnt/Mepis

:ermm: Bruno

Okay ... step one[root@localhost dale]# mount /dev/hdb5 /mnt/Mepis[root@localhost dale]# cp /mnt/Mepis/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22 /boot/Mepis[root@localhost dale]# umount /mnt/Mepis[root@localhost dale]#

Step II[root@localhost dale]# /sbin/liloAdded MepisAdded linuxAdded linux-nonfbAdded linux-enterpris *Added failsafeAdded floppy[root@localhost dale]#

Good . . now try to boot into Mepis . . . . . But Dale . it is late here . . have to go to bed . . if you get troubles booting we will troubleshoot it tomorrow !Hope it boots without troubles though . . . ;):lol: Bruno

;) :lol: :D :lol: :) Bruno,,,,,All is good, rebooted into Mepis and all is good, rebooted back into Mandrake to make this post. Thank you, next, getting the internet to work in Mepis, and am curious as to why the hdb only shows two partions, hdb1 and hdb5, I realize that hdb2 is extended but I tried to make two partitions within the extended, but I guess it did not work......

;)  :lol:  :D  :lol:  :) Bruno,,,,,All is good, rebooted into Mepis and all is good, rebooted back into Mandrake to make this post.  Thank you, next, getting the internet to work in Mepis, and am curious as to why the hdb only shows two partions, hdb1 and hdb5, I realize that hdb2 is extended but I tried to make two partitions within the extended, but I guess it did not work......
hdb2 and hdb3 can only be primary partitions. Even if you don't have them and you create an extended partition, Linux will always label the extended hdb4 and the first logical as hdb5.

Bruno/Peachy,,,,,First Peachy,,,, thanks for the info ,, that will make it somewhat easier to replace the unit, BTW how long does it take to burn a DVD disk anyhow ???
I burned 4GBs of data from my work hard drive to a 4x DVD+RW disc. Took about 15 minutes with Easy CD Creator 6.

Peachy,,,,,I know that hdb 1 - 4 will be primarys or hda or hdc or howmany ever hd's you have. What I tried to do was set up hdb1 as the root / partition, and made hdb2 an extended and tried (think I failed though) to make two partitions within the extended but I only got one (hdb5)Was the data you burned video data or just binary data. I thought that it took forever to burn a DVD movie to a DVD disk.

It was a data DVD. Yes, a movie will take as long as the movie runs, typically.You can't make hdb2 an extended partition. Linux shouldn't let you, any way. :lol:

Hi DaleHappy that Mepis did boot . . . . . man, this was confusing: thinking it was on hdb1 . . and it was on hdb5 . . . . LOL . . . . :DAbout the net connection: could you go online while Mepis was Live ??:lol: Bruno

Bruno/Peachy,,,,Bruno,,,Nope, could not make a web connection with Mepis either way, live CD or installed on hard drive. On Slack and Mandrake in the network configuration section it lets me pick the type of modem/ttys whatever it is on, which in my case on this machine is ttys4 or a pci modem. I did not have that option available in Mepis as it only goes to ttys3. I am fairly sure it has to be done through a consol to establish the initial setup or at least I have been led to believe that. I just have no idea how to do that.Peachy,,,I see now, I was under the impression that if you were d/lin a DVD from the web it took hours (connection speeds and all), but thought if you had it in hand it would be much faster. Now that you have said it will take as long as what the movie is, it all comes clear. You should have lots of time on your hands if you want to copy (Matrix) movies.

Hi DaleFor the modem issue: What if we make a symlink from /dev/ttys4 to /dev/modem . . . that would make it possible to use the default /dev/modem in your kppp config . . . To do that issue the following commands ( we first have to remove the old link )

$ su< password ># rm  -rf  /dev/modem# ln  -s  /dev/ttys4  /dev/modem

The only thing with this is that I hope that the Mepis kernel sees your modem also on ttys4 like Mandrake and Slackware does . . . there is a big chance it does though.For more info on modems, here is a good Modem-How-TO:Linux PPP HOWTO: https://secure.linuxports.com/howto/ppp/These two chapters seem the most relevant:KPPP - The KDE PPP Dialer: https://secure.linuxports.com/howto/ppp/ind...wrap=c264%2ehtmSetting up the PPP connection files: https://secure.linuxports.com/howto/ppp/ind...rap=c1034%2ehtm:lol: Bruno

:( :( :( Bruno,,,,,Thanks for the links, I shall check them out, but first (baddddd news). I was in MCC making the linux choice the boot from instead of linux-enterprise (BTW what is the difference between the two) and in the course of this I inadvertently deleted Mepis from the boot up menu ... :o :o ... after much work and going back through prior posts here I have Mepis back on the menu but when I boot into it I get to the following two lines in the boot sequence and then it stops ... any suggestions other than bad and derogatory ones ;) :) warning: unable to open an initial consol.kernel panic: no init found. try passing init=option to kernelthose two lines sort of lead me to believe that when I need to do something in Lilo but what and where is the question.

Hi DaleI'm in tears ;) . . why did you do that in the GUI and not on the commandline ? . . . :o :o :DPlease post me

cat /etc/lilo.conf

( I want to see the full file :) ):( Bruno

:) ;) Bruno,,,,Well ,,, because that is the only place I know how to do it from ..... and here is what the cat saysPassword:[root@localhost dale]# cat /etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapvga=normaldefault=linuxkeytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz label=linux root=/dev/hda1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="quiet devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi" vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/Mepis/vmlinuz-2.4.22 label=Mepis root=/dev/hdb1 vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label=linux-nonfb root=/dev/hda1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-enterprise label=linux-enterpris root=/dev/hda1 initrd=/boot/initrd-enterprise.img append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label=failsafe root=/dev/hda1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdd=ide-scsi" read-onlyother=/dev/fd0 label=floppy unsafe[root@localhost dale]#FWIW ... I did make one change I used hdb1 where root is at instead of hdb5 ... if that is the cause I will change back but it confuses me on that point

Yep indeed you spotted the cause already:

image=/boot/Mepis/vmlinuz-2.4.22 label=Mepis root=/dev/hdb5 <------------------------------------------------ has to be hdb5 vga=788 read-only

Also fro clarity I would make another change:

[root@localhost dale]# cat /etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapvga=normaldefault=linux <---------------------------------------------------------Change to Mandrakekeytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuzlabel=linux <------------------------------------------------------------Change to Mandrakeroot=/dev/hda1initrd=/boot/initrd.imgappend="quiet devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"vga=788vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/Mepis/vmlinuz-2.4.22 label=Mepis root=/dev/hdb1 <--------------------------------------------------------- hdb5 vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label=linux-nonfb root=/dev/hda1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-enterprise label=linux-enterpris root=/dev/hda1 initrd=/boot/initrd-enterprise.img append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label=failsafe root=/dev/hda1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdd=ide-scsi" read-onlyother=/dev/fd0 label=floppy unsafe

This change has to be made on 2 places . . . . It will show "Mandrake" in your boot menu . . and it makes Mandrake the default boot ;);) Bruno

;) :) Bruno,,,,Whewwwww..... thank the big Linux gurus it was small, but now how come it has to be hdb5 when root is hdb1, the only reason I ask is I am pretty sure when I was installing it I made the choice to boot from root (but a lot has gone by since then too) ...I tried once to change that linux entry to Mandrake but it did not make any difference, but I was only changing one. I will make the change on both this time. Two minor questions before I move on to another installation attempt ... :o :o :( (oh no) first, what is the difference between linux and linux-enterprise (on the selection menu) and second how do I remove a program from linux ....

Hi DaleI Hope you did

/sbin/lilo

to write the new Lilo to MBR after the changes . . . Then: hdb1 . . . it is fully empty ! We saw that yesterday, there is only a directory "lost and found" . . and that directory is default on every Linux partition if it is empty or not. . . . So you can safely install something new on hdb1 !! ;)Removing software is different in every distro . . in Mandrake you do it in the MCC --> Package Management --> Remove . . . You have to make that change to "Mandrake" on two places . . because the first time it tells Lilo what is the default boot . . and lilo has to find it somewhere down the list . . . . . . if it can not find a match it will report an error.The enterprise kernel . . for that I will have to see

ls -al /boot

and then I can tell you ;);) Bruno

Bruno,,,Yes I did the /sbin/lilo (only after you reminded me though) and it shows Mandrake only once but does also show it as the boot to selection too, which is what I was after ... and here is a bunch of info from the ls -al /boot[root@localhost dale]# ls -al /boottotal 3680drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jun 1 06:10 ./drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 4096 Jun 1 05:35 ../-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 May 29 04:15 boot.0300lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Jun 1 05:35 config -> config-2.4.19-16mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 44145 Sep 20 2002 config-2.4.19-16mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 40685 Sep 20 2002 config-2.4.19-16mdkenterprisedrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 29 04:15 grub/-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 127944 May 29 04:15 initrd-2.4.19-16mdkenterprise.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 124480 May 29 04:15 initrd-2.4.19-16mdk.imglrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 33 May 29 04:15 initrd-enterprise.img -> initrd-2.4.19-16mdkenterprise.imglrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23 May 29 04:15 initrd.img -> initrd-2.4.19-16mdk.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Jun 1 05:36 kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.4.19-16mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 441 May 29 04:19 kernel.h-2.4.19-16mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 441 May 29 14:49 kernel.h-2.4.19-16mdkenterprise-rw------- 1 root root 222720 Jun 1 06:10 mapdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 31 16:16 Mepis/lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Jun 1 01:49 message -> message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 147089 May 29 04:15 message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 147089 Jun 1 01:49 message-textlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 May 30 15:49 System.map -> System.map-2.4.19-16mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 490852 Sep 20 2002 System.map-2.4.19-16mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 506655 Sep 20 2002 System.map-2.4.19-16mdkenterprise-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 May 29 04:15 us.kltlrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 20 May 29 04:15 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 880346 Sep 20 2002 vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 952945 Sep 20 2002 vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdkenterpriselrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 30 May 29 04:15 vmlinuz-enterprise -> vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdkenterprise[root@localhost dale]#that appears to be quite a lengthy list .... ;) :) :o which distro shall I try next ... before I forget .. you said that hdb1 is empty ... that is strange because I selected that for the / root partition when I was setting Mepis up ... someplace this install went all to pot.... my original intent was to have 2gb as / root on hdb1, make hdb2 into an extended and have 4gb as usr and 6-8 gb as home. Obviously that did not work out right.

Hi DaleWhat version of Mandrake is this ?? It is not 10.0 Official from what I can see . . . . Now the enterprise kernel has the same version number as the default one . . but I would keep it in the bootmenu . . if ever something drstic happens to the default you can always try to boot the enterprise one . . ;) . .so keep it as backup/fallback :DThen: indeed the Mepis install did not use hdb1 like you wanted but did put everything on hdb5 ( this is why iot took us so long to do lilo yesterday, because we could not find /boot on hdb1 :) ). . . . well no real damage done, only that hdb1 is perhaps a bit small for a "normal" distro . . . . but you could put D Snall Linux there . . or VectorLinux if it is not the SOHO version ( If it is SOHO do not install KDE ) . . . . .I suppose the "/sbin/lilo"did report no errors . . and that you did try to boot Mepis . . ???:o Bruno

Bruno,,,,No errors to report on the /sbin/lilo ... it looks just fine ... did not try to boot it yet as was waiting to find out about the enterprise thing and also why it had to be hdb5 .... I guess I could start all over on this and get it straight that way ... ;) :) maybe in a week or two .... now to try that sym link and see if I can get the web to hook up in Mepis ,,,, hopefully my next post will be from Mepis ...

Crossing my fingers Dale !!And I would not reinstall Mepis . . just use hdb1 for something else . . . . ;);) Bruno

PART 2Here is some info about the enterprise kernel:

The Enterprise kernel was developed to allow the 2.2.16 kernel large memory access and other Enterprise features. If you require Enterprise  capability, we strongly suggest using the 2.4.X series of kernels,  which have native large memory support.
And
"Enterprise" kernel delivers SMP (Symmetric Multi Processing) and Hi-memory support (above 1024 MB) for high-end servers.
How many MB of memory do you have ?;) BruHno