• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• BarryB

• quint

• havnblast

Top Posters In This Topic

Just add a Bruno user first and make sure it works..then remove knoppixAdd: We are talking a knoppix right? I just used the knoppix installer and it ask for my user ame and root pw

That used to "irk" me about installing "Knoppix", until (using "knoppix-installer" option) I selected "As Debian", at the installation "choice" screen...there was no user "knoppix", after the install completed.

Well I am trying this on Overclockix . . . . Had to edit the file /etc/init.d/xsession to change the user from knoppix to bruno or it would not startx at all . . still get no login screen . . boots directly in bruno now . . .Quint if you use the "debian" install option in Overclockix do you get a decent login then ?B) Bruno

Well I am trying this on Overclockix . . . . Had to edit the file /etc/init.d/xsession to change the user from knoppix to bruno or it would not startx at all . . still get no login screen . . boots dirsctly in bruno now . . .Quint if you use the "debian" install option in Overclockix do you get a decent login then ?:thumbsup: Bruno
The usual "KDE / Gnome" log-in, but in "OC" you have those fascinating wallpapers! B)edit: In "OC", there was a third choice (it's listed first), and that's what I tried...also, no user "knoppix", and no "disappearing username / password). :D

Quint . . are you saying I loose the wallpapers and Icons and all if I do the "Debian" install in Overclockix ??B) Bruno

Thanks Quint . . . doing a reinstall ! B) ( Really annoyed by the "knoppix" install ):thumbsup: Bruno

Sorry, Bruno, I misunderstood...in "OC", you will still be able to select any of the "backgrounds", for the log-in screen, also. B)

Thanks Quint . . install is finished . . am logged in as bruno . . . Looks GREAT !!! . . Very happy now . . . . . man, was that a pain that "knoppix" :DB) Bruno

havnblast

Yea I don't know why they changed that - this is the first version I have seen that B) So far no problems installing Nvidia or Java or flash or Kscreensaver - working great - did the distro upgrade and we are rockin

Kelly . . you should really really try Overclockix !! . . Man, this is sensational, much cooler then Knoppix . . superkaramba and all the cool apps are included !B) Bruno

Overclockix has always been a favorite. Here I have it sitting on my drive and can't run it yet because I am on a slow download!Julia B)

Overclockix has always been a favorite.  Here I have it sitting on my drive and can't run it yet because I am on a slow download!Julia :thumbsup:
Julia how slow ? am on dial up 4.62 kb/s started at 3.00p.m. only 42 hours to go B) beat that.

Oh Man! I blew out Mepis and installed overclockix...everything seemed ok..but no KDE..did I miss something? have gnome and the other window managers, but no KDE...anyway reloaded mepis(also tried SuSE 9.1 Pro on the same box..took abit to get sound working)LiveCD works well..I take another look at the install when I get back friday

Julia how slow ? am on dial up 4.62 kb/s started at 3.00p.m. only 42 hours to go :) beat that.
I would not even want to try to beat that. Right now I will be done with all 4 downloads in less than 4 hours. Too long for DSL. Oh well. It is too late in the day for a new project anyway. ;)Julia :)

Oh Man!  I blew out Mepis and installed overclockix...everything seemed ok..but no KDE..did I miss something?  have gnome and the other window managers, but no KDE...anyway reloaded mepis(also tried SuSE 9.1 Pro on the same box..took abit to get sound working)LiveCD works well..I take another look at the install when I get back friday
LOL . . Barry . . I blew Overclockix by updating it . . . . :) . . . Will have to reinstall this evening ! . . . Anyway found the trick to make karamba work on the HD install, so that will be quickly restored :DB) Bruno

lol...Bruno, at least I don't feel so alone...I have to remind myself that Knoppix,Mepis and Overclockix are from the "SID" Debian..and therefore "by Debian standards"not ready for prime time"..so I don't get upset if I blowout a distro with a "upgrade" :worthy: :luck: When I think about it ..it's upgrading one unstable version with newer more unstable updates... :) :clap: See, We linux users are perfectly normal :) :D .... :flowers:..

Oh Boy :huh: ;) What have I done NOW --->>> Knoppix,Mepis and Overclockix are from the "SID" Debian..and therefore "by Debian standards"not ready for prime time".Installing mepis in place of MDK 10 ;) :P :D Colin :P

I have noticed with Knoppix that it will not hold my NameServers in the Net Config - Holds my IP and Gateway but not the name servers - I have to reenter them in every time - changes back to some weird numbers on reboot