• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• BarryB

• quint

• havnblast

Top Posters In This Topic

ok..have I missed something of has the HDinstall changed?.....But looks great as liveCD...BTW kelly have you tried the Mepis 2004.5 b03...Pretty cool :D

ok..have I missed something of has the HDinstall changed?.....But looks great as liveCD...BTW kelly have you tried the Mepis 2004.5  b03...Pretty cool :D
Hi Barry,It's basically the same, but there are now three install options (when using: "knoppix-installer"); seems quicker. It's very nice, easy to configure, but I much prefer "Overclockix 3.4" and "Mepis 2004-05-b03"...they both offer more programs, utilities, graphics ("Overclockix"), etc. But - YMMV. :bounce:

Hi QuintYea...I tend to like Mepis alot...I have it installed on a couple systems and tend to run the 2.6.5 kernel most the time, in some ways I think it has moved past Knoppix(but not in all ways) I think the issue on the Knoppix install, just may have been a memory failure (mine that is..as in how to.. :D .)

havnblast
ok..have I missed something of has the HDinstall changed?.....But looks great as liveCD...BTW kelly have you tried the Mepis 2004.5  b03...Pretty cool :'(
No I haven't I have been trying not to change things around here as much - trying to stick with what I got and making them work, but I don't see that happening now with Knoppix out.Mepis runs great on the 64?

Hey KellyActually I don't run Mepis on the 64..trying to stay true to my word and keep it 64 bit os only....But I do have it on a few or systems...and like knoppix it's a good stable debian distro

havnblast

Got the live cd going of this and it's working great - Overclockix you think is better Quint?At least Gaim works - YAY!I don't know, think I will just go back to Knoppix and stay there - at least I can update it and get what I need to work in it. Always end up going back to it anyway. Overclockix has always been nice, but is a little to much graphical for me and I am sure that the programs Knoppix is missing I can just install them.Can't believe they didn't do Firefox tho

KellyYour with Knoppix like I am with Mepis on some of my system...I change them around but still come back to Mepis..others seem to have a Drake thing...a few like SuSE..

Got the live cd going of this and it's working great - Overclockix you think is better Quint?
Hi Kelly,Maybe not better...I just like the "eye candy", all the "extra apps, utilities, etc.", better. You are correct, though, if there's something you want/need, you can easily install it. It all comes down to what we "Peguin-Lovers" like best. ;) :D I really enjoyed adding "Knoppix 3.4" as my 29th distro...though I must use a bootdisk. :D

Right, got me the Knoppix 3.4 . . . . . . but do have a few remarks:The default boot is the 2.4.6 kernel . . . not the 2.6 ! . . . And giving the linux26 parameter at boot ( info tucked away at F3 ) it stops booting at the probing of the SCSI:

porbing SCSI megaraid.0 segmentationfaultprobing SCSI a100u2w.0  . . . . . . .
So if I have to boot a 2.4 kernel, I can just as well use the Knoppix 3.3 that I have already HD installed :(Questions:1). Is there an FTP download for Overclockix and does it do a better job on the 2.6 kernel ??2). Does Overclockix have a HD install option too ?? And has anybody tried it ? ( Quint ? ):thumbsup: Bruno

I am waiting for them to have a decent download time. The Knoppix disk works fine. I have a copy at both work and home but I want the overclockix as well. Julia :thumbsup:

Have Knoppix on 2.6 now . . . bootoption: "linux26 noscsi" was the logical step . . . but I hesitate to do a HD install of this edition . . . Will rather wait for Overclockix ( if it can be installed to HD ):thumbsup: Bruno

Right, got me the Knoppix 3.4 . . . . . . but do have a few remarks:The default boot is the 2.4.6 kernel . . . not the 2.6 !  . . . And giving the linux26 parameter at boot ( info tucked away at F3 ) it stops booting at the probing of the SCSI:
porbing SCSI megaraid.0 segmentationfaultprobing SCSI a100u2w.0  . . . . . . .
So if I have to boot a 2.4 kernel, I can just as well use the Knoppix 3.3 that I have already HD installed :(Questions:1). Is there an FTP download for Overclockix and does it do a better job on the 2.6 kernel ??2). Does Overclockix have a HD install option too ?? And has anybody tried it ? ( Quint ? )B) Bruno
Hi Bruno,Yes, "Overclockix 3.4" has an install icon on the desktop...it takes all of 7 minutes to install. :thumbsup: The "2.6x kernel" required me to do "extra" configuring, but maybe that was my inexperience. ;) It's what I use exclusively, when in "OC". As far as I know, there still is no "FTP d/l". :(I did also experience a problem /w "Knoppix 3.4", when I tried the "2.6x kernel" from the "LiveCD", but not after I did the hdd-install. :) (I also had "extra" configuring to do.)P.S.: In "Overclockix", there is a good set of instructions for the "2,6x kernel". (Installation.)

Bruno got this from the Overclockix site..Easy Debian and Knoppix style installation scripts - /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall and also newer /sbin/knoppix-installer have been reworked slightly to function with Overclockix 3.4. The original Knoppix 3.4 Cebit CD requires adding these installers and their templates. But they are included and ready to go in Overclockix 3.4. Some minor tweaking is required to use both kernels after installing, and instructions for doing so are provided on the CD.Hard Drive installation requires about 2GB for the root filesystem but I recommend a little more, and a 128mb+ swap partition is optional. Some minor tweaking is suggested post-install to make the OS more secure and to fix some minor quirks. These scripts use the Lilo bootloader and are dual-boot friendly with an existing windows installation.(added)Yikes...Quint..you've been there and done that... :thumbsup: You distro maniac you!!

Yikes...Quint..you've been there and done that... :thumbsup:  You distro maniac you!!
Still wishing to have a PC for each distro.............................................like you!!! ;) :)

Thanks Quint and Barry !!Well, that makes the decision easy: I will patiently wait for Overclockix FTP and do the HD install once I have downloaded it, and replace the Knoppix 3.3 on hdb12 . . . Great news !!:thumbsup: Bruno

Oh I wish....... :) BTW, haven't had the tweek issues with the 2.6 kernel in Mepis..did you have any? I like the Knoppix cd, haven't installed yet...will have to follow Bruno and give Overclockix a shot too...(Good thing I increased my CDR supply)Also wifes says I'm spending way to much time in the garage now :thumbsup: ;)

Barry, along with "Mandrake 10.0 Official", "Mepis 2004-05 b03" is the "most trouble-free distro" I've tried...and it's still a "beta"!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quint: what installer is better ?

/usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall and also newer /sbin/knoppix-installer
:thumbsup: Bruno

Quint: what installer is better ?
/usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall and also newer /sbin/knoppix-installer
B) Bruno
< /sbin/knoppix-installer > :thumbsup: All I ever use anymore (with the Knoppix types). Reason: whenever I tried the other, it wouldn't just let me pick any partition on either hdd, without making me use "cfdisk" to delete/re-create, my desired partition. :thumbsup:

Great . . . it is noted down Quint ! Thanks . . . . . now only the ISOs . . :thumbsup: :DB) Bruno

Hey Bruno..you ought to give the Mepis beta a shot too :thumbsup: (Shameless Plug..I know)
Is it Live ?:thumbsup: Bruno

Hey Bruno..you ought to give the Mepis beta a shot too :thumbsup: (Shameless Plug..I know)
With No Hesitation !!Yes, it is. :thumbsup: