~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
May it please dear God that we might see,
Even if we only live for week after,
Gráinne Mhaol and a thousand warriors –
Routing all the foreigners!
Chorus

One of my favourite Sinead O'Connor songs. It’s about the death of Colin Roach, a 21-year old black man living in Hackney, London. He was riding his scooter home when he was pursued and stopped by the police who thought that he had stolen the moped. He was arrested and later died in police custody. Sinead wrote this song to protest against police racism and brutality. This is a devastatingly beautiful song.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/12/magazine/maneskin-rock-band.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-gb

""You should know, though, that even though their music has been heard most often through phone and laptop speakers, Måneskin sounds better on a soccer field. That is what tens of thousands of fans came to the Stadio Olimpico on an eyelid-scorching Thursday to experience: the culturally-if-not-personally-familiar commodity of a stadium rock show, delivered by the unprecedented phenomenon of a stadium-level Italian rock band. The pyro — 20-foot jets of swivel-articulated flame that you could feel all the way up in the mezzanine — kicked in on “Gasoline,” a song Måneskin wrote to protest Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. From a thrust platform in the center of the field, David poured his full emotive powers into the pre-chorus: “Standing alone on that hill/using your fuel to kill/we won’t take it standing still/watch us dance.”

The effect these words will have on President Putin is unknown. They capture something, though, about rock ’n’ roll, which has established certain conventions over the last seven decades. One of those conventions is an atmosphere of rebellion. It doesn’t have to be real — you probably don’t even want it to be — but neither can it seem too contrived, because the defining constraint of rock as a genre is that you have to feel it. The successful rock song creates in listeners the sensation of defying consensus, even if they are right in step with it."

😎

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

If you are a fan of Yes, I highly recommend getting the Steven Wilson mixes set. They reveal a lot of intricacies which the original versions fall a little flat with. IMO, the way they should have sounded in the first place.

In 2013, in addition to his many recording and remixing projects, Steven Wilson remixed a sizeable chunk of the Yes catalog. Interestingly, he didn't proceed chronologically, but by using an inner aesthetic that has become his trademark through previous projects with King Crimson and Jethro Tull. In 2013, he completed 1972's Close to the Edge, in 2014 he did a stellar job on 1974's Relayer (arguably never properly heard until this mix) and 1971's The Yes Album. The following year it was 1972's Fragile and in 2016, 1973's double-length Tales from Topographic Oceans. These high-resolution remixes were previously available only on Blu-Ray and DVD (while the conventional CDs contained 16/48 resolution mixes).

In commemoration of Yes' 50th anniversary, Rhino has boxed and re-released all of these titles on vinyl. According to Wilson, they have used the 24/96 hi res, DVD-A/Blu-Ray mixes for each LP. The outer housing of the package features artwork created specifically for this set by original album artist Roger Dean -- whose work has been synonymous with the band's identity for more than 40 years. Additionally, two of these albums – Close to the Edge and Tales from Topographic Oceans -- feature brand-new cover art, while the remaining three covers were reworked by Dean.

• Like 1

Wow, this song is so powerful. I confess to tears towards the end.

Steven Wilson - Routine

Hmmm, seems I changed a couple of privacy settings the other day and now I can't work out which one has disabled Youtoob embedding. 🤕

V.T. Eric Layton

This one above embedded fine. There's something about your link that either the board software or YouTube itself is not allowing embedding.

V.T. Eric Layton

NOTE: I copied the link to your video above directly for YouTube, and it does NOT embed for me, either. However, three of four other random links, including the one I just posted above, work fine.

6 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Hmm... and now, suddenly (no changes made), it works.

It's definitely something I did in Firefox. I just edited my post above in Chromium, deleted and repasted the link, and voilà! there it's embedded. Tried the same in FF, no dice.

Tested in a new profile in FF, embed works. Note to self - keep a record of config changes in future. 🙄😁

Damn new-fangled technological BS, this never happened when we used pencils.

• Haha 1