• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• Temmu

• abarbarian

• amenditman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please note my new sigline image...     I passed.

Yup. That alphabet soup needs to add up to $$$ for it to be worthwhile.   I already have A.S. (Associate of Science - Computer Engineering Technology), C.E.T. (International Society of Certified Ele

Aren't we all.

a couple of successful people:

colonel sanders was 70 when he pitched his chicken to a hundred different investors before finally landing a sponsor.

edison failed 1,000 times before he got the light bulb right.

but, who knows, eric, you may pass on the first go.

Guest LilBambi

Yep! Apparently never to old to succeed late in life! Which is good news for many of us, eh?

Alan Rickman, made it big after he was 46 in acting! Might remember him as Hans Gruber from Die Hard, and Professor Snape in Harry Potter. Turned out to be one of the best bad guys in film too. (and he's only #5 in a list of 5 late bloomers)

10 People Who Changed Careers After 50 And Succeeded - quite the list

Top 10 Late Bloomers (almost totally different list!):

I often hear people say, “Oh, it’s too late for me to change anything.”, or “I always wanted to do this, but I’m too old for it now.” Ironically I hear statements like this from people, who are only 40 or 50 years old! I listen to these sad claims and think, “What are you talking about?! It’s never too late. Not even if you are 90!”

and finally ...the list of 50 Famously Successful People Who Failed At First

Those are some amazing stories of success late in life, multiple successes in life, and success after earlier failures.

If at first you don't succeed, fry, fry...an egg. errrr, sorry that was my Dad's silly one. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! :yes:

V.T. Eric Layton

So, if I try a thousand times to pass this test, I'll finally succeed at 70. Is that what y'all are sayin'?

:hysterical:

New test date for the 1st exam - 28 February (next Thursday).

One person in the class managed to get a passing score on today's practice exam. I scored the same as the one on Thursday (failed) and a few others scored worse than previously.

I'm going back to the basics. I'm going to start the 1st book from the beginning and re-read the entire thing. We have been forced to digest too much data in a short time. I have a rickety foundation on which to build the latter data. I need to get back to the basics.

abarbarian

Hey !!! they built Rome in a week. :228823: Don't tell us you can not bone up on one poxy exam and pass it in a week. :Muahaha: An they did not even have computers :Laughing:

V.T. Eric Layton

smilies-45939-1.png

Well, I'm back to planning on taking just the first part of the CCNA exam (on the 28th). I just don't have the time to learn everything needed for the combined exam. Also, I found out a few things today...

The tests cost $150.00 each. The grant will pay for both the ICND1 and the ICND2 OR the combined CCNA test. They will pay for NO retakes. If I fail at any stage, retesting is on me. I KNOW I cannot pass the combined CCNA at this time. I have serious doubts that I'll be ready to pass the ICND1 next Thursday, for that matter. I want to try to pass the ICND1 so that they will pay for the ICND2.

Anyway, that's where I stand at the moment. :(

ross549

Keep working! I know you can do it!

In the meantime, rate my soldering! I was moving a jack on a bass guitar amp. Hartke did not want to give me the part number for the jack, so I used one that would normally be used for an effects loop. Since we don't do that, I figured why not permanently borrow the jack?

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/8677_10151433271823744_69254322_n.jpg

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Remember the rule... shiney solder = good, dull solder = bad. ;)

Keep working! I know you can do it!

Oh, I'll get it... just maybe not the first time around the block. :yes:

abarbarian

smilies-45939-1.png

Well, I'm back to planning on taking just the first part of the CCNA exam (on the 28th). I just don't have the time to learn everything needed for the combined exam. Also, I found out a few things today...

The tests cost $150.00 each. The grant will pay for both the ICND1 and the ICND2 OR the combined CCNA test. They will pay for NO retakes. If I fail at any stage, retesting is on me. I KNOW I cannot pass the combined CCNA at this time. I have serious doubts that I'll be ready to pass the ICND1 next Thursday, for that matter. I want to try to pass the ICND1 so that they will pay for the ICND2.

Anyway, that's where I stand at the moment. :(

You have taken on a huge task. Stay positive and good luck for next Thursday. If you need a resit I'm happy to chuck in $10 in the pot to get you there. Drinks would defo be on you when we meet though :beer:

amenditman

Interesting Eric. Why is dull solder bad? Too hot when I made the joint?

Adam

I had always heard it was too cold and is a weak connection. Dull because you haven't burned off the flux.

You want the physical parts touching so that electrons flow directly, not through solder which is just there to hold the connection together.

Edited by amenditman
V.T. Eric Layton

@ Adam...

Dull often means a cold solder joint. It's not written in stone, but it's a quick way to visually check solder joints. Sometimes, poor quality solder (too much lead, not enough tin/antimony) can also display dull, gray-ish solder joints.

And speaking of flux... never use acid core solder for electrical or electronics. I'm sure everyone here knows that already. Rosin core solder is fine, but not even necessary when using a quality solder. Keep your solder guage (thickness) as thin as you can. It heats, melts, and spreads much faster and more evenly than thicker guage solder.

Keep your iron at the right temp with a clean and well "tinned" tip. Have your wet sponge handy for cleaning, also. The best after soldering board cleaner is tuolene, but it's carcinogenic and doesn't play well with plastic parts. It sure does make that board look factory-fresh after you've desoldered or soldered on it, though.

@ abarbarian...

Thanks, mate! :)

• Like 1
V.T. Eric Layton

Making progress on this thing, folks. I'm going to be living, eating, dreaming, defecating it for the next 6 solid daze. I WILL pass this test. My sample test scores have improved immensely in the past day or so. I'm just a hair's breath under the passing mark. However, I understand where I'm weak and why I'm making errors. That's progress!

I can't keep my eyes open any longer tonight, though. tired.gif

Goodnight all...

V.T. Eric Layton

Today is our last official day of CCNA class. We're off this next week to study on our own. The first test (ICND1 - Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices 1 - CCENT level certification) is Thursday the 28th at 1330hrs, so you know where I'll be that day. I'll be kicking that test's arse! ;)

I will be the proud owner of this new sig bar after that...

certs_bar-sofar_zps5fd9ece6.png

Remember... it's a work in progress. Eventually, if all goes well, it'll look like this in the coming weeks/months...

certs_bar_zps3affb5e1.png

I'm hoping, anyway...

Sometimes, life gets in the way of dreams and goals. I'll be working on it, though. :yes:

Well, gotta' run...

V.T. Eric Layton

I passed a full (50 questions/90 minutes) sample examination tonight with a score of 89% (80% required to pass), and a half (25 qs in 45 mins) sample examination from a second test provider with an 81% (still passing). I'd like to be doing consistent 90+, but that ain't happening.

Of course, tomorrow I'll be dealing with a different environment and different questions and types. I'll have to spend a lot of my alloted time just reading the questions to make sure I'm comprehending what I need to be comprehending to properly answer the d****d questions. :angry2:

Wish me LUCK! :th_run-around-smiley: