My IT Certification/Continuing Education Saga

V.T. Eric Layton

I removed this method of subnet analysis because I found that it was faulty. I'm still having trouble grasping this simple concept. It's starting to deteriorate my confidence. The ability to subnet and analyze existing subnets is a BIG part of this certification exam.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• Temmu

• abarbarian

• amenditman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please note my new sigline image...     I passed.

Yup. That alphabet soup needs to add up to $$$ for it to be worthwhile.   I already have A.S. (Associate of Science - Computer Engineering Technology), C.E.T. (International Society of Certified Ele

Aren't we all.

abarbarian

I removed this method of subnet analysis because I found that it was faulty. I'm still having trouble grasping this simple concept. It's starting to deteriorate my confidence. The ability to subnet and analyze existing subnets is a BIG part of this certification exam.

You need to chill man. Relax and watch some movies.

http://www.savevid.com/video/subnetting-in-6-easy-steps-part-1flv.html

How to do TCP/IP Subnetting in your head. All you have to do is remember 6 questions

http://www.savevid.com/search?q=+Subnet+Analysis%2C+Part+&c=1

Could not find part one.

Anyways waht you waiting for ? Go get the popcorn and chill with the above movies. :breakfast:

ross549

Don't worry Eric,

I've had several people try to explain to me how to calculate a subnet. All have failed. I think there is a principle at work that most people accept that I am not aware of- and this seems to be the stumbling block. Once I figure it out, subnetting will make perfect sense to me.

For what it's worth- have you tried sitting down with your instructor and discussing the topic? Maybe you could go through it a couple times and he/she could point something out to you in order to help.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, I have it now.

I was told by a few networking dudes that learning subnetting takes five stages (like the stages of grief ;) ):

1) Total mindblowing incomprehension

2) A partial understanding, but still getting it wrong

3) Frustration with your stupid head and its inability to understand simple arithmatic

4) The EPIPHANY moment when you realize what you were missing

and finally

5) Understanding and kicking one's self in rear area for being so thick headed in the first place

That's about how it went for me. Now the trick is increase my speed. That just takes practice, practice, and more practice. I've been doing 15-25 subnetting questions a day for the past few days. It's helping with the speed thing. :yes:

-------

As far as the rest of the CCNA thing goes... we're just a week or so away from our first examination - ICND1 (for those who are going the 2-test route). The sample tests I've been taking are telling me that there's a WHOLE LOT that I still need to digest in just a short period of time. The confidence level (read as cockiness) of my classmates and myself has diminished greatly since the first week of class. We're making inroads to understanding, though.

I look at it this way:

Even if I wash out and fail the test, I'll be MUCH more prepared for it the next time. Also, I've learned tons of carp about networking that I had always been interested in, but was too lazy to pursue. I could probably pass the CompTIA Network+ test and the A+ with no tribbles at all thanks to this cram CCNA course and my prior hardware knowledge. I intend to take them soon, also... even if they're not too valued by industry anymore.

This theory knowledge and certifications with the accompanying alphabet soup after your name are just a means to an end. They're your passport to better job opportunities and higher pay. They're not something that you will be using daily on-the-job once you actually have that job. I learned that in my electronic career. I learned hours and hours of physics, electronics, engineering principles, advance mathematics, etc. to gain my degree. However, not once in my entire career in electronics did I whip out my Texas Instruments TI-30 calculator to figure current flow through a circuit. I just used a meter to check it. ;)

TI-30

220px-TI-30_LED.png

I'm wasting study time here. :(

Later...

V.T. Eric Layton

Go for it, Adam. It just takes time. The books (many, many of them) are available used online for a pittance. If you're disciplined enough for self-study, you'll be able to learn a heck of a lot just reading through a book or two. You'll have to buckle down to some more intense study to pass the tests, though. Cisco tests require more than rote memorization, as with the some other cert tests. With Cisco, you better have an understanding of how something, like TCP/IP works, not just know it's acronym. ;)

OK, my break from studying is just about over. I just finished two detailed chapters on TCP/IP, involving the actual run up and down the TCP/IP stack from signal to application and back down to signal, along with all the devices involved and what they needed to do for everything to work properly. It's actually pretty darned amazing how this is done.

I'm now off to use my Cisco SIM app to troubleshoot a WAN that I designed and implemented last night (homework). I have one leg of the WAN (the factory) that isn't able to communicate with the home office or the warehouse. Can't have that. The boss is not happy. It should be an easy fix. I have it narrowed down to a mis-configured router.

Here's what it looks like, if you're interested...

th_sim-07_week-4_lab-ver2_zps92005751.jpg

Later...

ross549

I am working on my Bachelor's degree right now (A generic Tech Management one) and am taking a break due to the birth of the formula-slurper. :) Once I get back into school, it will take my time up again. One of my next classes is project management, which will require me to become familiar with Microsoft Schedule +. That means I need to have an installation of Windows 7 around here that I can use. Lucky me- I don't have a PC strong enough to do it, so I will be dual booting my Mac. This is something I never thought I would be doing, but I do have plenty of space on the SSD to run WIndows, so I should have a very fast OS to play with.

Ain't technology grand?

Adam

• Like 1
V.T. Eric Layton

I hope MS Schedule + is an improvement over MS Project. I HATED that latter app. I had to learn it back in '92 when I was p-managing for my brother on a 400 home dev here in the Tampa area. I did not like MS Project at all. I ended up trashing it and using Timberline (by Sage) instead.

There's only so much time in the day to learn all we want to learn. Have fun learning what you can. :yes:

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, it was a bad weekend (sick kitty). I totally was not able to concentrate at all on my studies. MUST knuckle down NOW!

V.T. Eric Layton

I didn't actually miss any CCNA stuff. The class I missed yesterday was the resume lady's class. The problem was that I could not concentrate to study this past 4 days. Everything I read was basically Greek tragedy... in the original Greek. I'd read an entire chapter in the book and then realize that I couldn't remember a single word of it because only my eyes were reading; my brain was off worrying about my kitty. :(

The first exam is next week. I'm NOT at all ready for it. I'm still consistently scoring in the 65% range on sample tests. *sigh*

This ain't no guess and gimme certification, that's for sure. WARNING to anyone pursuing CCNA -- It ain't easy-peasy.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, we are tentatively scheduled to take the 1st part of the CCNA (CCENT - INCD1) exam on the afternoon of Monday the 18th of February. I don't think any of the eight of us is comfortable with our confidence level regarding being able to pass this thing at that time. :(

Time to CRAM! CRAM! CRAM! :yes:

ross549

Cram in doses. Take breaks every couple hours. Don't overdo it- you'll just burn out.

My initial electronics training was 12 hours a day for four months. I had to pace myself.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

My electronics training was 6 hours a day for five days a week for 18 months (AS degree). Oh, and lightened my pockets by about $4000. FUN! :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... yeah... I'm too old jaded for Anthony Robbins/Zig Ziglar psycho-babble... but I appreciate the cheering section. :yes:

• Like 1
abarbarian

Yeah... yeah... I'm too old jaded for Anthony Robbins/Zig Ziglar psycho-babble... but I appreciate the cheering section. :yes:

Well I intended to post a small section from the vid the above pics came from. Spent a day trying to cut a section to post and the link below is the best I could do. Avidemux was a washout for me. I ended up using vlmc which did not alow me to use the english audio or the subtitles. Well at least I could not manage to find out how. So I posted the pics.

Anyways here is the clip.If you do not speak Japanese you should get it from just the pictures. :breakfast:

https://mega.co.nz/#!csRjgDga!apVl1Hhr-6177J36JJXGyE0RKv8zC2iUYhVL32ZMRaw

abarbarian

No can play that vid. Wants me to do all kinds of stuff before it'll let me see it. :(

Well it is a download link. Downloads fine in Chrome,Iron but needs a add-on in FF and apparently it do not like Safari. :shifty:

abarbarian

I was trying out the new Mega service which is still in beta. I can not log into the account I made or the second one I made. I can download all the links I have given folks. Some folks can download but otheres can not. I'm a bit puzzled.

Maybe, just maybe the fact that I gave my user name as "kimdotcom" is what is causing the wierdness :whistling:

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, the first part (ICND1) of the Cisco cert exams (CCENT) was finally scheduled for Wednesday the 21st. However, after the class took a practice exam today, the instructor decided to postpone the testing till further notice. Just as well, it will give me more time to study for the combined test. I've decided to go for broke on this.

The first and second test = the CCNA cert. Each test is 50 questions in 90 minutes. However, the one-shot CCNA test is also 50 questions in 90 minutes. I feel that if I'm going to attempt to pass this thing, I may as well shoot for the whole kit and kaboodle at one time. The tentative schedule for the CCNA one-shot exam is 5 March.

We'll see how things go, I s'pose.

Don't let nobody tell you that CCNA is easy to achieve. They'd be lying to you.

Anyways here is the clip.If you do not speak Japanese you should get it from just the pictures. :breakfast:

https://mega.co.nz/#...C2iUYhVL32ZMRaw

Couldn't even get to the link here -
Please update your browser

Warning: You are using an outdated browser that is not supported by MEGA.

I get that sometimes, it's latest Iceweasel that gets Mozilla's security updates patched by Debian but they don't bump the version number.

Just an FYI, the 21st of February is a Thursday. Also, the 21st of March is a Thursday.

Wow, you don't see that every year! Oh, wait......... you do, except for leap years. :shifty: :whistling: :D

Eric, the rest of the class must be dumbasses if they have to postpone the test to catch up to you. ;)

• Like 1
abarbarian

Sunrat you are not the only one having problems. however from Arch 64 with FF I can access the link,get the same warning box,say thanks bot no thanks to upgrade,then download the file. So I do not know what your problems are. Sorry can not help.

Eric best of luck with the exams. :shifty:

• Like 1
V.T. Eric Layton

Just an FYI, the 21st of February is a Thursday. Also, the 21st of March is a Thursday.

Go for it, you can do it!

Aww... h3ll, I can't even read a calendar right. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

Eric, the rest of the class must be dumbasses if they have to postpone the test to catch up to you. ;)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :hysterical: