rakemup

Game on Linux

V.T. Eric Layton
7 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

What a waste of harddrive space ;)

Meh... I've got 1.64 TeraBytes of it to waste. ;)

sunrat
6 hours ago, securitybreach said:

What a waste of harddrive space ;)

Some things just won't run in VMs or Wine. For me it's Phoenix RC Flight Sim, iZotope RX, and Digico don't have Linux driver for its UB MADI audio interface.

I checked out Ace Combat 7 on Steam/Proton, it's rated platinum but costs $AU90 or $AU110 for the Deluxe edition. That's like first release A list game price even though it's been out for a year. I already have it on Win so it's a pass from me on that one.

But that's off-topic. I tried out Linux Air Combat last night and it works nicely nicely. The ole joystick still works although it drifts a tiny bit to the right. No biggy, and can recalibrate.

securitybreach
1 hour ago, sunrat said:

Some things just won't run in VMs or Wine. For me it's Phoenix RC Flight Sim, iZotope RX, and Digico don't have Linux driver for its UB MADI audio interface.

I checked out Ace Combat 7 on Steam/Proton, it's rated platinum but costs $AU90 or $AU110 for the Deluxe edition. That's like first release A list game price even though it's been out for a year. I already have it on Win so it's a pass from me on that one.

But that's off-topic. I tried out Linux Air Combat last night and it works nicely nicely. The ole joystick still works although it drifts a tiny bit to the right. No biggy, and can recalibrate.

Well I was kidding about the "waste of space" but I know what you mean.

abarbarian

Dishonored 2

Reprise your role as a supernatural assassin in Dishonored 2 – the follow up to Arkane Studio's first-person action blockbuster and winner of more than 100 'Game of the Year' awards, Dishonored. Play your way in a world where mysticism and industry collide. Will you choose to play as Empress Emily Kaldwin or the royal protector, Corvo Attano? Will you make your way through the game unseen, make full use of its brutal combat system, or use a blend of both? How will you combine your character’s unique set of powers, weapons and gadgets to eliminate your enemies? The story responds to your choices, leading to intriguing outcomes, as you play through each of the game’s hand-crafted missions.

This is working well so far on my Arch set up. I followed advice from the Proton site, where it gets a SILVER rating,

PROTON_NO_ESYNC on launch options. Disable VSync and Adaptive Resolution ingame to improve performance.

I did try at the start to go stealthily but have reverted to killing every thing that moves and taking great delight in doing so, maybe because I am playing as Emily. 🤣

securitybreach
1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

Dishonored 2

This is working well so far on my Arch set up. I followed advice from the Proton site, where it gets a SILVER rating,

I did try at the start to go stealthily but have reverted to killing every thing that moves and taking great delight in doing so, maybe because I am playing as Emily. 🤣

That looks cool, I may have to buy that one. I just added to my steam wishlist.

abarbarian
40 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

That looks cool, I may have to buy that one. I just added to my steam wishlist.

You should really give the first game a go before you try 2.

Dishonored Wiki

350?cb=20120522210822

Story

"Revenge Solves Everything"
—Marketing tagline
Set in the plague-ravaged city of Dunwall, Dishonored follows the story of Corvo Attano, the last bodyguard to Empress Jessamine Kaldwin. Framed for her murder and the abduction of her daughter, Emily, Corvo is falsely imprisoned by the Empress' Royal Spymaster and usurper, Hiram Burrows.

Six months later, on the eve of his execution, Corvo escapes confinement with the help of a shadowy group of loyalists who seek to eliminate those involved in the assassination of the Empress and restore Emily to the throne. He is further assisted by an enigmatic god called the Outsider, who grants him Supernatural Abilities for reasons equally mysterious.

Corvo takes on the role of a feared and infamous assassin as he pursues members of the coup one by one - but whether he is out for justice or revenge is another question. Dishonored features multiple endings, which are dependent on Corvo's actions and player choice throughout the course of the game.

Awards

Won / Received

Spike TV - Video Game Awards 2012

• Best Action/Adventure Game[2]

The PC Gamer - Game of the Year Awards 2012

• The Singleplayer Shooter of the Year[3]
  • The Best NPC Barks of the Year (Spoof award)[4]

The Edge Awards 2012

GameSpot's Best Games of 2012

• Action/Adventure Game of the Year[6]
  • PS3 Game of the Year[7]
  • XBOX 360 Game of the Year[8]

Machinima - Inside Gaming Awards 2012

• Best Environmental Design[9]

IGN - Best of 2012

• Best Overall Action Game[10]
  • Best PC Action Game[11]
  • Best Xbox 360 Action Game[12]

Game Informer - Top 50 Games Of 2012

Official Xbox Magazine - Game of the Year Awards 2012

• Best Original Game[14]

The Escapist - Jimquisition Awards 2012

• Outstanding Game of the Year[15]

Yahoo! Games - Best of 2012 Awards

• Best Action/Adventure Game[16]

Forbes - The Best Video Games Of 2012

• Game of the Year[17]

CNET - The Top 11 Games of 2012

• #1 Game in the Top 11[18]

Mirror Online - Top 10 Video Games of 2012

• #1 Game in the Top 10[19]

CNN - The 10 best video games of 2012

• #1 Game in Top 10[20]

Eurogamer Readers' Top 50 Games of 2012

• #1 Game in the Top 50[21]

About.com

• #1 Game in the Top PC Games of 2012[22]
  • #1 Game in the Top 10 Xbox 360 Games of 2012[23]

Ars Technica's 2012 Games of the Year

• Game of the Year[24]

Buzz Focus - Reader’s Choice Awards: Best Video Games of 2012

• Best Action/Adventure[25]
  • Best Game on PS3[26]
  • Best Overall Game[27]

zConnection’s Best of Gaming 2012

• Game of the Year[28]

BAFTA Awards - Games in 2013

• Best Game in 2013[29]

I know it is old but what a game 😋

securitybreach

Thanks but the first one is too old for me to want to play.

sunrat

Sounds pretty dark. I really want to try Untitled Goose Game.

• Haha 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach

I have been playing Fallout 4 for about 2 months now:

maxresdefault.jpg

• +1 1

abarbarian
On 2/15/2020 at 1:26 PM, securitybreach said:

Thanks but the first one is too old for me to want to play.

The games are pretty much the same. Graphics in D2 are obviously a tad better and gameplay a tad smoother. If you like D2 you probably would like the original. AN they are only 7 years old for goodness sake.. 🤣

securitybreach
13 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

The games are pretty much the same. Graphics in D2 are obviously a tad better and gameplay a tad smoother. If you like D2 you probably would like the original. AN they are only 7 years old for goodness sake.. 🤣

Well looking at videos of gameplay, the textures are quite blocky. Some old games look great as it depends on their engine and if the textures have been updated or not. For instance, GTA V is like 5 years old but the only way you can max it out is by buying a $1500 GTX 2080.

securitybreach

I recently got an overclocked GTX 1070 8GB and figured I could max out GTA V, well it locked up my system..

• Sad 1

abarbarian
5 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Well looking at videos of gameplay, the textures are quite blocky. Some old games look great as it depends on their engine and if the textures have been updated or not. For instance, GTA V is like 5 years old but the only way you can max it out is by buying a $1500 GTX 2080

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhLcm3uPCME

Can not see this blockiness you mention here. Maybe the vids you saw were badly done. 😎

securitybreach
1 minute ago, abarbarian said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhLcm3uPCME

Can not see this blockiness you mention here. Maybe the vids you saw were badly done. 😎

That is a newer addone for the game:

The Brigmore Witches DLC

securitybreach

abarbarian
2 hours ago, securitybreach said:

That is a newer addone for the game:

Ah ha I got all the DLC free with the game. That video you show looks ok to me though the guy is running all the way through. 😎

securitybreach
Just now, abarbarian said:

Ah ha I got all the DLC free with the game. That video you show looks ok to me though the guy is running all the way through. 😎

Ah ok, cool.

abarbarian
Posted (edited)

There are any number of game lists and the one below is a tad long in the tooth. I posted it as all the games have been thoroughly tested by dedicated linux gamers. There is a main list and the comments section gives more up to date games not included in the list.GOG.com's forums are the source.

The Judas does this run in wine thread

an example from the comments,

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_judas_does_this_run_in_wine_thread_v1173/page3

😎

Edited by abarbarian
  • Thanks 2

abarbarian
Posted (edited)

G.O.G. had a sale recently and I dove in and bought,

Shadow Tactics Blade of the Shogun

for a mere £8.59 which is quite a saving. Best of all you can download the game and install it and play offline. No internet connection needed to register or play which is a lot more friendly than the Steam version. The game download is not tied to the pc you used to download it so you are free to install it on any pc.

I thought it might be a pain to install and get running but it turned out all I needed were two cli commands and I was up and running. Mind you it did take me half a day to find the relevant information and the two extra files needed for the install. I did do quite a lot of reading around the subject though which took up some of the time.

Once I had the three necessary files, 3.5 GB in total, and cd'd into the game folder this was all I had to do,

Start the building process from the directory where you have the three files:

$ sh ./play-shadow-tactics.sh

Wait a couple minutes, the building will end by giving you the commands to launch as root to install the game. It should be something similar to:
		Arch Linux:

# pacman -U /some/path/to/game_package.pkg.tar

Debian:

# dpkg -i /some/path/to/game_package.deb
        # apt-get install -f

The game runs very well nice and smooth, no lag or juddering. Graphics are luverly and you really do feel as though you are sneaking around a shoguns castle whilst a battle is in progress. Gameplay is at a gentle pace allowing you plenty of time to think and check out your surroundings. If the opposition spots you your as good as dead as they react and move pretty darn quick.

You have four characters to control but only one at a time, so far I have met two and they both have different skills so I guess the other two will have different skills too. I am looking forward to playing the rest of the game and it should fill in quite a lot of the time I am likely to spend in lockdown.

I can recommend this as a quality game which is easy to install and runs well on a penguin powered pc. An best of all it is yours to keep and do as you please with it.

I have two other G.O.G. games that install and run nicely on a penguin box one weighing in at 4 GB and one at 4.5 GB's. Thye are,

Full Throttle Remastered

Grim Fandango Remastered

Both of these games are gentle paced and fairly old with slightly improved graphics but give excellent quirky game play.

😎

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

abarbarian

There has never been a better time to play games on LinuxLinux gaming hasn’t just improved, it’s evolved.

It's thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic that I, like so many of you, have had to rapidly adjust to a life lived almost entirely at home.

It's not an ideal situation, but I've had some real consolation—there has never been a better time to play games on Linux.

The above article has loads of info and some videos and it is dead right about now being a good time to play games on linux. As there are a ton of free games available like the excellent one below.

Total War: SHOGUN 2 FREE on STEAM

There is also.

What's free on the Epic Games Store right now?

Epic Games Stores are giving away a free game every week in 2020. I wish I knew about this earlier as I missed out on Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun which runs very well on linux.

The Epic games offered are not to be sniffed at, Just Cause 4 and Assassin's Creed Syndicate are two I would have liked but sadly missed the chance. They both play well on linux despite being Windows games.

An also G.O.G. are giving away free games,

GOG is offering 27 free games to help you relax at home

Ok they may be oldies but some of them are really neat.

Ok so some of the free games are Windows titles but many of them are perfectly easily playable through proton.

Enjoy

😎

• Agree 1

securitybreach

Nice :thumbup:

abarbarian

Blade Runner

In 1997 Westwood Studios released a title that won universal praise from gamers and critics all around the world, along with accolades like AIAS’s Adventure Game of the Year award. Set in the same time and universe as the 1982 classic science fiction film by Ridley Scott, Blade Runner video game is now making a big comeback on modern computers.

Shame on me as soon as I saw the article telling me that the game was available I logged on to G.O.G and bought the game an paid full price for it. Which makes it unique in that it is the first game I have ever paid full price for.

I do not use G.O.G Gallaxy as I prefer to download the game and install it myself. At the moment I am trialling Lutris and GameHub for my linux game collection and the G.O.G. community very helpfully provide scripts to make this an easy peasy task.

https://www.gog.com/forum/blade_runner/playit_install_blade_runner_on_linux

The actual files download page with instal instructions,

https://www.dotslashplay.it/en/games/blade-runner

I installed the game in both Lutris and GameHub but could not get it to start Spent some time checking that I had done things correctly but nothing worked. Then I came across this article,

You can now return to the world of 1997's Blade Runner, as it's up and restored on GOG

This gave helpful hints on how to get the game up and running on an Arch based pc. Great I thought just what I need. So I tried out the hints,

On my Manjaro installation I had to install the packages:

sdl2_net
libcurl-gnutls
libsndio-61-compat (from AUR)

and do the symlink to fluidsynth to make it run.

On Manjaro I did need to install some extra SDL2 packages like "sdl2_net", and additionally since GOG package for Ubuntu the library name for "libfluidsynth.so.1" from FluidSynth did not match up. Creating a link between what it wants and what the Arch package has will make it work. Like so:

ln -s /usr/lib/libfluidsynth.so.2.3.0 /usr/lib/libfluidsynth.so.1

I had two of the packages already on my Arch rig and as the guide seemed to have some logic to it I followed the instructions. All to no avail, the blasted game still would not run. So I installed the Arch ScummVM package and whoope the game I had installed in Lutris and GameHub both worked .

I have a feeling that if I had installed the ScummVM package and the three extra packages on my Arch I would not have needed the symlink.

As to the game. Well yes it is pretty blocky but the overall feel takes you into the Blade Runner world, at least it does for me. So far I have only investigated one crime scene, the multiple deaths of real animals, and am now trying to decide my next action.

In my humble opinion if you are a Blade Runner fan this is a must have time waster.😍

Anyone interested in further details just pm me.

Blade Runner is getting an Enhanced Edition from Nightdive

I'll be buying this version too if it ever hits the streets. 😋

• Agree 2

securitybreach

Neat :thumbup:

abarbarian

Overcooked is free for the week on the Epic Games Store

Overcooked is free on the Epic Games Store for a week—and if that sounds familiar, it's because we said exactly the same thing on July 4, 2019, the first time that Overcooked went free on the Epic Games Store.

"Given the situation in the US, and the rest of the world right now, we will be rescheduling the ARK in-game celebration until Thursday, June 11," it wrote. "We understand that our community has much anticipated the Ark in-game party and the launch of Crystal Isles, and we're looking forward to sharing all we have prepared for you next week. We felt it would be inappropriate to celebrate milestones during the present time as there are bigger things afoot, and that outweighs any plans we otherwise had. We believe now is the time to be respectful and hear the voices of others."

And while it's not GTA5 or Civ 6, Overcooked is quite good: It's a local co-op game for up to four players about cooking and chaos that we said "is hands down one of the best couch party games ever made." It's also been close to a year since the first Overcooked giveaway, and the EGS audience has grown considerably since then, so there's very likely a large number of users who missed out on it the first time around. 

Well done Epic for their sympathetic evaluation of the present BLM situation, an for giving away a free game every week. 🤩

securitybreach

Doesn't that counter the whole situation? "Here, stay at home and play this free game for a week instead of going out.". It's not like these things really pull in new customers. Instead it'll be people who will grab the free copy and beat it before the end of the week.... ah, this is co-op only so nothing to beat really beside another player. I may still download and play against the computer.