Game on Linux

rakemup

abarbarian
2 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

BTW Heroic Games Launcher is a good epic alternative for Linux since Epic doesn't offer one: https://heroicgameslauncher.com/

It's in the AUR on arch

I run Epic games through Lutris. Well I run one Epizoic game through Lutris. I bought Red  Dead Redemption 2 in the sale as They gave me an extra discount for some reason so it only cost me £13. To be truthful I am finding it a bit like watching paint dry at the moment. An I seem to die a lot. 🤔

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
abarbarian

Free Stars: The Ur-Quan Masters (open source Star Control 2) now available on Steam

Free Stars: The Ur-Quan Masters, which is an open source version of the classic Star Control 2, has managed to get a Steam release from Pistol Shrimp Games. The developer team includes both of the original designers Paul Reiche and Fred Ford and they're currently working on The Ur-Quan Masters 2.

The second video on the steam page is a real hoot and like travelling back in time.

The game was originally made in 1992 and open sourced in 2002.

The Ur-Quan Masters - home site

The project started in August 2002, when Toys For Bob released the partially ported sources of Star Control 2 3DO version to the fan community. Our goal is to port this wonderful game to current personal computers and operating systems. It is and will remain 100% free of charge, and anyone can contribute to the project and thus help make it even better. For more information, look at our info page.

Welcome to The BonePit

Here you will find The Ur-Quan Masters HD MEGAMOD, a mod that takes the best of the Ur-Quan Master's mods and rolls them up into one big "Mega" mod. Building upon the latest Ur-Quan Masters source code I've made an expansive mod which includes HD-mod, HD-Remix, Nic's Extended mod, and my personal mods which range from quality of life changes and extra modes to making the HD portions of the game look more faithful to the original design. Though not everything is going to be perfect and a few things will still stand out. I believe classic Star Control II fans will favor this version over the previous incarnation of the HD-mod.

The above is the version available on Arch

uqm-megamod 0.8.2-3

Lots of extra packages for Arch

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages?O=0&SeB=nd&K=+The+Ur-Quan+Masters&outdated=&SB=n&SO=d&PP=50&submit=Go

The Ur-Quan Masters HD MegaMod - GitHub

09%20The%20Dilrats.png  03%20The%20Ur-Quan%20Warning.png

😋

• Like 1

abarbarian

Dungeons & Dragons 50th Anniversary – my memories of the grandaddy of gaming

As the fountainhead of interactive entertainment celebrates its golden jubilee GameCentral reminisces on five decades of old school role-playing.

March 2024 will see Dungeons & Dragons turn 50,

Last year saw what many would call the most faithful video game adaption of D&D so far, with Baldur’s Gate 3. Video games have been trying to recreate D&D, both officially and unofficially, for decades, with some of the very earliest video games being directly influenced by it. In fact, it’s almost impossible to imagine modern video games without the influence of tabletop games.

Dungeons & Dragons Turns 50! See How We're Celebrating Our Gold Anniversary

Festivities kick off in March with a free tournament-style adventure you can play at your local game store, conventions, or at home with your friends. We're also giving you a sneak peek at upcoming books and brand partnerships. To help you sport your love of D&D, you can download a special 50th anniversary wallpaper for your desktop or mobile device that highlights the kind of stunning art you'll find in the 2024 core rulebooks.

LUz6Wzc.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
abarbarian

Humble's Heroines Bundle Features 8 Female-Led Games For $15

Humble is celebrating International Women's Day with two variations of the Humble Heroines bundle, a package of games featuring female protagonists. To lean into the celebration even further, the charities associated with these bundles are dedicated to helping women programmers and game developers. The deal features either 8 games for $15, or 5 for $10.

😎

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
abarbarian

This is what started me on this adventure. Did not realize it was a on-line game or how  many hoops I would have to jump through to make it work.

Trouble is I can not resist a freebie especially as I have paid for Prime.You just have to get your moneys worth don't you. 😋

th?id=OIP.5ErJIf7A5JKRN994-qYyzgHaEK%26p

Claim a free copy of Fallout 76 with Amazon Prime

For a limited time only, get a code to redeem the full Fallout 76 game on the Microsoft Store. This offer is for PC only.

Prime members may claim one game code for Fallout 76 from April 11, 2024, to May 15, 2024. The code will be eligible for redemption on the Microsoft Store until June 14, 2024.

Logged into Amazon got the game, easy peasy. Never read the blurb.

Fallout 76

Fired up Heroic and, what !! no game, but other Amazon games are there. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Back to Amazon, read the blurb. Darn it I need to sign my life away to Microsoft.

Over to here,

redeem-a-gift-card-or-code-to-your-microsoft-account

Which took me to here,

login.microsoftonline.com

Which finally got me here,

Redeem your code or gift card

Whew that was long trail. OK now back to Heroic, what no game !! Stuff this I'll try Lutris, what no game. Hmmmmm.

As I have some Amazon games and may get some more in the future. I thought I would use the Amazon Games App through Lutris. Thinking that my Fallout 76 was not a steam game I could not install and run it through steam (I was wrong in this assumption).

https://lutris.net/games/amazon-games-app/

Darn it !!! it works but only shows the same Amazon games as Heroic does, no good for me but it may be of use for other folk. What to do ?

Lutris has a Fallout 76 install file but it is for steam. Stuff it I'll give it a go.

https://lutris.net/games/fallout-76/

Use the plain steam version, the top entry.

th?id=OIP.2Zlw3fZ-TZCDFvj9zkCdbwHaEK%26p

Whoopee !!! it works. Well it installs and you can start the game. Then it asks you to log in to the Bethesda site. Darn I have no Bethesda account.Drat another hoop to jump through. Over to Bethesda and make an account.

Back to Lutris or Steam, both work to launch the game. An Bethesda refuses to log me in. Darn I am sure I gave the right details, manually and painfully, as Copy + Paste does not seem to work. Darn still no log in. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Seems you have to link your Bethesda account with Steam though the site,

https://bethesda.net

Then the game will work.

th?id=OIP.29iy9aNrZrDgRI28sdUsCgHaEK%26p

So far have only had a few hours in as am still getting used to it and it took a while to choose my character. So hard to decide whether to use lipstick or not, do I look too fat or too thin. 😵

When I say the game runs ok, it does, trouble is quitting. Yes I know you should never quit a game, but a fellow has to eat and rest. The ESC key will not do anything and there is once you start the game no way to get to the main menu.

Luckily I run Window Maker so I just ALT + One Key and swap work spaces, fire up htop and kill the game.  I run my games in a separate work space as I have had similar problems before. It is much easier than CTRL + ALT + F2 to a new tty and killing the game from there.

th?id=OIP.ysRMb_rXiaTwPPyn_kXrfgHaEK%26p

I am running Arch + Window Maker fully updated with  a nvidia GTX 1070 proprietary drivers on a 2560x1440 165 Hz monitor, ASRock  B650E Taichi mobo, AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D cpu, nvme 1 TB SHPP41-1000GM, with steam on a internal nvme A-Data SX8200PNP.

I have gamemode running through systemd.

Steam uses Proton experimental.

I have the game on full Ultra settings.

The games runs smoothly and graphics look very good.

Enjoy folks 😋

This is a good article to read for new players who prefer single palyer playing.

Can you play Fallout 76 single player? And should you?

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

Hmmmm it seems the screenshots have disappeared in the Fallout post above. Par for the course it seems.

After logging in and out of the game several times I thought that the game had installed ok. Well it had but when I went to start it he next day it would not do so and gave a message that there was no paid for copy. So it looks like the Lutris script worked but with some steam settings. Guess it would as it was a steam specific script that it used. Tried a couple of ways to load the game but none worked, could not find a way to download the game from Microsoft. So I gave up and paid for the game on Steam as it was heavily discounted and I quite like the Fallout universe.

The game was made by morons. Who on earth makes a game today where you can not press ESC to get to the main menue ? Your right the moranic Fallout 76 developers.

You have to open the map then press Z to make it to the main menue. Clicking on exit to desktop freezes the game and you have to fiddle about to close the game which is a real pain.

😎

securitybreach

I wasn't a fan of Fallout76 as it is mostly just a multiplayer spinoff of the original games. Fallout 4 is probably my favorite after 3 and New Vegas.

21 hours ago, securitybreach said:

I wasn't a fan of Fallout76 as it is mostly just a multiplayer spinoff of the original games. Fallout 4 is probably my favorite after 3 and New Vegas.

4 was brilliant, never played 3. 76 can be played single player and is pretty decent but not brilliant. 😁

I sort of agree about the movie but then a lot of complicated tv series can be like that, full of seemingly unrelated bits that only come together after a while.Looking forward to the next series though. 😋

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

4 was brilliant, never played 3. 76 can be played single player and is pretty decent but not brilliant. 😁

I sort of agree about the movie but then a lot of complicated tv series can be like that, full of seemingly unrelated bits that only come together after a while.Looking forward to the next series though. 😋

The latest series was great and had a lot of things from the game series in it. I would suggest a watch

abarbarian
On 4/23/2024 at 10:50 AM, securitybreach said:

The latest series was great and had a lot of things from the game series in it. I would suggest a watch

Yeah already watched it. Looking forward to the next season 😋

• Like 1

securitybreach
3 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Yeah already watched it. Looking forward to the next season 😋

Me too :thumbup:

• +1 1