Curiosity and Frustration getting the better of me...

kamicota

Hi there again :"> Please bear with me here --->>>Have NEVER EVER set my two desktops to communicate with each other BUT--->>>With all the manoevering between external hard dives (one for each ) it may be time to explore the HOW-TO do thisThe 4600+ has XP/MDV Spring 2009 Gnome and the Quad has XP/PCLinuxOS 2009.1 GnomeIs there a NEVER BEEN THERE BEFORE WAY :rolleyes: of transferring between these two deskiesMust explain "kamicota" is common to XP/MDV and PCLinux Os's if that is a problem Only want to do this in Linux from Both the Quad and the 4600+ Dual core because to do it in XP would need netbouy set up I think and do not wish to mess with that.Any ideas out there before the drive images procedures set up takes over :) Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• striker

• securitybreach

The easiest ( so you don't have to use the comandline ) would be to install an ftp server on the MDV box . . . you can then access it from the PCLos box and send files up and down.First steo would be to open the MCC and install the "drakwizard" package . . . once that is installed you will see that after closing and re-opening the MCC there is a new section in the MCC called "sharing"Let me know when you are up to that point.:hysterical: Bruno

Righty Ho Bruno :hysterical: Installed ALL three packages including base and tracSharing shows me--->>>Configure ftp andConfigure web serverBoth Deskies are on and an external hardrive switched on with them Cheers for yearsColin :">

Okay Colin . . .we will do one more step today and the rest of the steps tomorrow ( getting late here :hysterical: )Choose Configure ftp and go for all the defaults the wizard is presenting, that is setting up a server for the intranet ( = local network ) . . . it's easy just click "yes" and "ok"Are you using KDE in PCLos ? . . . . If you are using Gnome please install "konqueror" we will need it tomorrow.:"> Bruno

BrunoRight now am in MDV Gome on the 4600+ and the Quad has PCLInuxOS Gnome running there tooSo here goes with the ftp configuration in MDVCheers for YearsColin :hysterical:

Okay Colin, no problem.If you type "hostname" in a terminal you probably see "localhost" . . .. that is the name of the server.Admin email is "root"And, you do not want to permit root login.B) Bruno

BrunoDid TICK access to Internet and IntranetThis was AUTOMATCALLY chosen as server name--->>>"ProFTPD Installation"Also got this--->>>FTP server options, step 2Chroot home user: users will only see their home directory.Allow FTP resume: allow resume upload or download on FTP server.Allow FXP: allow file transfer via another FTP.FTP Port - 21Also TICKED Chroot home userAllow FTP resumeAllow XFPAnd shown it successfullyconfigured Intranet/InternetCheers for yearsColin B) OOPS did NOT have the Quad core turned on does that mke any difference now???

Did TICK access to Internet and Intranet
Oooo Noooooooo !!! . . . Look at my post above ( post #4 ) I said do only the defaults and intranet . . . ( only intranet was ticked by default !! )Now you did set up a server for the internet and the whole world will be able to get files from your computer :(First do as root:
# rm -f  /etc/proftpd.conf

Next please do it again . . . one step at a time . . .do NOT tick boxes that are not ticked by default. . . please consult before making changes to defaults.B) Bruno

Bruno B) [kamicota@localhost ~]$ suPassword: [root@localhost kamicota]# rm -f /etc/proftpd.conf[root@localhost kamicota]# And off to do it againCheers for YearsColin B)

OOPS!!! B) The "drakwizard" program has crashed with the following error: no FTP configuration file found! warning. at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/MDK/Wizard/Proftpd.pm line 253. standalone::bug_handler() called from /usr/lib/libDrakX/wizards.pm:202 wizards::safe_process() called from /usr/sbin/drakwizard:89To submit a bug report, click on the report button. This will open a web browser window on Bugzilla where you'll find a form to fill in. The information displayed above will be transferred to that serverIt would be very useful to attach to your report the output of the following command: 'lspcidrake -v'.Cheers for YearsColin B)

Right . . .no problem . . go in the MCC and remove the proftp package . . . next close the MCC and open it again and do the ftp configuring again.B) Bruno

Righty HoContinued and this time we get the OK that is was configuredBoth 4600+ and Quad are on and both have an external USB drives on too Cheers for YearsColin B)

Edited by kamicota

Okay . . . on the MDV computer the server is configured . . . now we want to know what the IP address of that computer is . . if you hoover the mouse on the network-icon next to the clock do you get to see an IP address ??B) Bruno

Okay . . now go to the other computer . . open up konqueror and type in the addressbar:ftp://192.168.1.64/and hit <enter>you should get a popup asking for your username ( the one of your MDV box ) and password . . . after that you can move files to and from the MDV box.B) Bruno

Just an after thought on server typed in localhost when setting this up
Yep I know . . that is not ideal. Maybe configure the ftp server again and don't give a name to the server ( so were you typed localhost leave it empty )B) Bruno

Try this: open a terminal and do

# hostname jupiter

log out and log back in ( no reboot !! )Next in the ftp server config use "jupiter" as server nameB) Bruno