Show Us Your GNU/Linux Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Paul... Man! Just your cool Bodhi desktop w/ Conky and all makes you look like a Linux guru. I'm impressed. :)
LOL! I was born in North Carolina, the state motto of which is "Esse quam videri." Sadly I am more the inverse of that noble phrase... :yes:

;) a new version of Slackware!Slackware 13.37emeraldmyvistaglowbluet.th.png
WOW!! Your already up and running with 13.37 KDE??? SHARP looking desktop alphaomega!!!!! I like it!!!.I am thinking about making the leap myself and trying Slackware. Downloaded the .iso, just need to put it on DVD and then read, read again and then re-read the installation instructions. :unsure: Hopefully it goes smooth enough that I won't have to ask Eric 101 questions. ;)Ian

I'm getting there Paul. Starting to feel much more comfortable and have been able to fix many issues on my own lately. Still.....A LONG way to go. :thumbsup:

WOW!! Your already up and running with 13.37 KDE??? SHARP looking desktop alphaomega!!!!! I like it!!!.I am thinking about making the leap myself and trying Slackware. Downloaded the .iso, just need to put it on DVD and then read, read again and then re-read the installation instructions. :thumbsup: Hopefully it goes smooth enough that I won't have to ask Eric 101 questions. ;)Ian
I would say take the leap.For me it was the smoothest install ever.I usually have to fight with the system to get X and sound working.This time they just worked. ;)

Finally got around to taking a screen shot over here...http://rutecellar.fuddster.com/wp-content/...screenshot2.jpgopenSUSE 11.4/KDE4.6

Edited by LilBambi
changed huge image to url ... please use thumbnails or smaller images linked to larger image - see Forum Rules on images in posts and Announcements area for instructions on how to do this. Bambi

I finally got around to playing with some of the visual aesthetics of Bodhi Linux. That dark wood decoration is part of the A-Nogal-Bodhi theme and the background image was created by txemijendrix.Screenshot_Chip_20110502s.png

@Fuddster - Nice and peaceful. One of those that if you stare at it for a while, you could almost feel like you could walk through the screen and be there. ;)@Paul - great colors. Everytime I see a screenshot from you, your Conky is better and better!!!! I started getting fustrated with the config file and have left mine alone for a while. My build computer with Arch does not have Conky up yet though I did DL it from the repos. ;)All the best,Ian

@Fuddster - Nice and peaceful. One of those that if you stare at it for a while, you could almost feel like you could walk through the screen and be there.
That's exactly why it's there, Ian! :)

@Paul - great colors. Everytime I see a screenshot from you, your Conky is better and better!!!! I started getting fustrated with the config file and have left mine alone for a while. My build computer with Arch does not have Conky up yet though I did DL it from the repos. ;)
To be honest, I get pretty frustrated with Conky too. :'( I still haven't managed to figure out how to make the fool thing call scripts. Something tells me there's some staggeringly obvious tidbit of info that I'm missing, but I still haven't found the solution. When I do, the Conky will get MUCH more entertaining.Thanks for the kind words though, Ian!

• 2 weeks later...
securitybreach

Speaking of Tiling Window Managers, here is my newest screenshot of AwesomWM:Clean:892951132299514.jpg Dirty:1c7b3a132299485.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome as always Josh. Love the way scrot takes all 3 monitors and creates 1 image.Here is my desktop Arch linux with Openbox recently renamed FrankenstIAN considering it was pieced together with a bunch of spare parts :)Dirty201105250514011440x900s.th.pngClean201105250514441440x900s.th.pngUploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by ichase

Ok, I've been inspired by you guys. I found the background image on Shorpy and fell in love with it. The sound of trains has always held fond memories for me. I thought it went well with the dark wood of the Nogal theme (which I was already running) but the icons didn't look right. So I went hunting for antique brass objects which seemed to represent (in order at the bottom) Google Earth, Rhythmbox, Chromium, Stellarium, and gEdit.If you take a look at the original image, you'll see that I've done a fair amount of manipulation already. I flipped the image to put the dark space at the right which nicely offsets the conky. I also removed the phantom number 3167, which not only stood out fairly prominently, but which was obviously flipped.An odd problem I had was the various colors of the brass fittings. Though all were brass, they were ALL different colors! A bit of manipulation made them look more like a set. At any rate, here's my new desktop.Nogal_and_Brasss.png

securitybreach

@Ian Looks great although for some reason your thumbsnails are really small on imageshack and do not zoom in at all.@Chipdoc Great job, it looks classy!!

abarbarian
Ok, I've been inspired by you guys. I found the background image on Shorpy and fell in love with it. The sound of trains has always held fond memories for me. I thought it went well with the dark wood of the Nogal theme (which I was already running) but the icons didn't look right. So I went hunting for antique brass objects which seemed to represent (in order at the bottom) Google Earth, Rhythmbox, Chromium, Stellarium, and gEdit.If you take a look at the original image, you'll see that I've done a fair amount of manipulation already. I flipped the image to put the dark space at the right which nicely offsets the conky. I also removed the phantom number 3167, which not only stood out fairly prominently, but which was obviously flipped.An odd problem I had was the various colors of the brass fittings. Though all were brass, they were ALL different colors! A bit of manipulation made them look more like a set. At any rate, here's my new desktop.Nogal_and_Brasss.png
Luverly job :thumbsup:

@Josh, I may have selected the thumbnail image instead of the regular image. I will fix that tonight or in the morning.@Chip, Man, I am REALLY digging that screen of yours. Awesome job manipulating the image to work well with Conky. The brass icons are awesome too. When I was running E17 in PCLOS, I was trying to figure out how to manipulate the icons but never figured it out. Truth be told, I did not put a whole lot of effort into it. ;)All the best,Ian

The brass icons are awesome too. When I was running E17 in PCLOS, I was trying to figure out how to manipulate the icons but never figured it out. Truth be told, I did not put a whole lot of effort into it. :thumbsup:
The real trick to making icons out of non-icon images is to make the image square. I selected an image and saved it. Then I opened the image with GIMP and copied it. I made a new document with a transparent background and both height and width the same as the longest dimension of the original. Then I paste the copy into the new image and deleted the original's background, so the end result is the object sitting in the center of the square. Finally I save it in a format that supports transparency (I used PNG, though GIF will work too) and put it in a convenient folder along with the other icons.At this point it's a simple matter to right-click on the standard icon, select Properties, and change it to the new one. In E17, the change is global, so the new icon will appear next to every instance of that link. Size isn't an issue; the system makes it the proper size auto-magically. Mine range from 250-450 pixels square. If I were to package them up, I'd make them all smaller - probably around 150 pixels square to keep the file size down while preserving detail.I hardly ever change my desktop, but watching everyone come up with cool stuff just inspired me to give it a try when I encountered that background image. It took a couple of evenings to get it the way I liked it; I went down a number of dead-end paths. But it was fun to do and I'll give it another shot the next time I encounter a particularly compelling image.Thanks for the kind words, guys!