Show Us Your GNU/Linux Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

Hey Eric...while in B.C. they had a special on the CBC about his life. I knew of the poem but not the man. It was really sad but interesting. I had to read more about him online.

all the best

• 3 weeks later...
securitybreach
Awesome Josh!!!!! Wonder if I can install Arch on my Kindle Fire? It's running a customized Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS. ;)

I do not think you can, well I have not read anything. I think a lot of this is because of how locked down Amazon made the device.

securitybreach

If there was a way to install Linux on the KindleFIre, it would be in the development section of XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1306

I am looking but do not see anything so far.

Here is the method I used to get Archlinux on my Touchpad: http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1948

Issues

No webcam. No sound. No Bluetooth.

The actual build is smooth as silk but there is still not a tablet centric WM available (KDE Plasma Active and Unity because of the lack of composition/accelerated display). The only other issue is power management(no suspend/hibernate) but everything else works beautifully so far. I also have Enlightenment, Gnome3, and LXDE installed as well as xfce4 shown above. Very nice build for an alpha stage and this is pure Archlinux, not a chroot.

Josh, nice job in getting Arch up and running on the Tablet. Read the entire 9 page thread and it's a quick reminder that I am WAY out of the loop on a lot of things. Better take more time to master the actual computer environment before I even think about tablets. ;)

I am sure E17 is pretty darn sharp on the tablet. I re-installed it on my laptop and will boot into it on occasion. They really have done an awesome job with that DE/WM. :thumbsup:

securitybreach
Read the entire 9 page thread and it's a quick reminder that I am WAY out of the loop on a lot of things. Better take more time to master the actual computer environment before I even think about tablets. ;

How do you figure that? The installation was very straight-forward and simple. I knew what most of the commands did but I still just copied and pasted line for line from the install doc on the github page. After that, you just use the Arch wiki pages to setup your system like you normally would.

Your getting to be quite the Arch expert so I would not think you would have any problem installing it. Of course, the developer did most all of the work to get Arch up and running on the Touchpad. It should not be much longer till someone gets it running on the KindleFire as well. Right now Archlinux, Ubuntu, Debian and Bodhi are available for the Touchpad and all of them pretty much use the same exact method to install.

Your getting to be quite the Arch expert so I would not think you would have any problem installing it.

:"> I am certainly more confortable in tackleing problems with out coming on here to ask for help then I used to be but I am FAR from being any kind of expert. I still have a TON to learn, and hope that after I get all my required certification stuff out of the way that I can get back into my notes and spend more time in the wiki/forums to get myself even more knowledgable. :">

I do thank you for the vote of confidence :)

securitybreach
:" border="0" alt="blushing.gif" /> I am certainly more confortable in tackleing problems with out coming on here to ask for help then I used to be but I am FAR from being any kind of expert. I still have a TON to learn, and hope that after I get all my required certification stuff out of the way that I can get back into my notes and spend more time in the wiki/forums to get myself even more knowledgable. :" border="0" alt="blushing.gif" />

I do thank you for the vote of confidence :)

:thumbsup:

securitybreach
Nice work, SB. What OS did it come with, and did you wipe it or dual-boot?

It came with WebOS and the current method to install either Android and/or Linux only allows you to dual boot with WebOS. Even if there were a method to only install Linux, I think I would still keep WebOS as a a dual boot option. WebOS is extremely stable and polished plus they open sourced it less than a month ago so it should get even better as time goes on.

• 3 weeks later...

Mandriva 2011 KDE 4.6. I've been wrestling with this all day (15 hours) trying to understand it and get it to work like I want. I think I just about got it whipped into shape. It was a knock down, drag out, but at least I'm up to date now. :thumbsup:

96517f171049804.jpg

securitybreach
Mandriva 2011 KDE 4.6. I've been wrestling with this all day (15 hours) trying to understand it and get it to work like I want. I think I just about got it whipped into shape. It was a knock down, drag out, but at least I'm up to date now. :thumbsup:

96517f171049804.jpg

Looks great!! :thumbsup:

96517f171049804.jpg

Big and beautifully blue. :thumbsup:

Since I have not posted a screenshot in a while...

System: emachines w3503

Kernel: 3.2.1

DE: KDE 4.8.0

WM: Compiz

kernel321kde480snapshot.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

kernel321kde480snapshot.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Overall It looks pretty much the same as my previous screenshots.

Cheers

Edited by alphaomega