Installation help needed

Noonmid27

Hi guysOk this is what i did when i tried to change the defauldepth yesterday. I opened the terminal this was in the GNOME environement. logged in as root, then used command gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The script came up i changed the defalutdepth to 24 save the file, then restarted my computer. the screen was scrambled so i changed back to 16
I wonder how that is possible. You see I have almost the same motherboard (A7N8X-X) and use a Asus VT9520 (equiv. to Geforce FX5200=NV34). Almost all distros I use have the nvidia drivers installed and I run my display at 1280x1024x24bit. No problems whatsoever.Question : how is your display connected and what brand/model ? (Acer ?)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Noonmid27

• Bruno

• striker

• V.T. Eric Layton

Noon,I scanned back through the posts here to see what has been going on. I'm assuming that you're in PCLos now and not Fedora. Correct? Also, I didn't see anywhere in the posts where anyone has mentioned to you that you must have the proper video hardware drivers in PCLos to get the optimum performance from your graphics. I see that you posted that your video hardware is an MSI 6600. I believe that's an nVidia chipset. If so, you won't get the maximum graphics performance until you install the commercial nVidia drivers for PCLos (if they're available).In your xorg.conf file, if you have something that looks like this:...then this may be the reason behind your display situation.If "vesa" or "nv" are listed as your video drivers, then you won't get the maximum performance. You'll need to d-load and install the "nvidia" driver in order to get full performance... 24 bit color, higher screen resolutions, etc.I'm not familiar with PCLos. Someone else here will have to guide you through the process to obtain the commercial nVidia drivers. Sorry. :(If this has already been suggested/performed, then... nevermind. :blink:
Actually Eric my video driver is "fbdev". This is what i have exactlySection "Device" Identifier "device1" VendorName "nVidia Corp." BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 6 Series" Driver "fbdev" Option "DPMS"

HI NoonActually I would like to see the full

# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

. . . but that "Driver "fbdev"" makes me wonder how it got there in the first place . . . . .Could you change that to Driver "nv"And next reboot and see what it gives ??? . . . . NOTE: In case you do not get back into X here is a trick you first should read or print out: Running XFdrake :blink: Bruno

Yep, and if needed I can post my xorg.conf. :blink: (Mine is connected through DVI)
Well i changed it to nv saved and reboot. Now i cant logged back in. i tried to do XFdrake but when i get the prompt and type PCLos it says image is not found. where do i go from here?

Hi NoonWhat you do is boot up . . it will get stuck and throw you back to the black login, there you type "root" and give it the rootpassword . . .then you type "XFdrake" and the config tool will pop up. ( You can also try "XFdrake --auto" and see if it will configure your X automatically, you have to reboot after "XFdrake --auto" ):blink: Bruno

Hi NoonWhat you do is boot up . . it will get stuck and throw you back to the black login, there you type "root" and give it the rootpassword . . .then you type "XFdrake" and the config tool will pop up. ( You can also try "XFdrake --auto" and see if it will configure your X automatically, you have to reboot after "XFdrake --auto" ):blink: Bruno
Ok i got everything fixed now. i had to manually changed the driver back to the default fbdev. also for some reason i had to launch failsafe mode inorder to run XFdrake. but everything is well and i now have another command. :blink:

but everything is well and i now have another command. :blink:
Great . . . glad to have you back in the GUI ;)Just for educational purposes . . . could you post us the result of
# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

:blink: Bruno

Great . . . glad to have you back in the GUI ;)Just for educational purposes . . . could you post us the result of
# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

:blink: Bruno

# File generated by XFdrake (rev 41554)# **********************************************************************# Refer to the xorg.conf man page for details about the format of# this file.# **********************************************************************Section "Files" # font server independent of the X server to render fonts. FontPath "unix/:-1" # minimal fonts to allow X to run without xfs FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"EndSectionSection "ServerFlags" #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort) AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)EndSectionSection "Module" Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension Load "v4l" # Video for Linux Load "extmod" Load "type1" Load "freetype"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Keyboard1" Driver "kbd" Option "XkbModel" "pc105" Option "XkbLayout" "en_US" Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Mouse1" Driver "mouse" Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2" Option "Device" "/dev/mouse" Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7" Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"EndSectionSection "Monitor" Identifier "monitor1" VendorName "Plug'n Play" ModelName "Acer AL1916W" HorizSync 30-82 VertRefresh 56-76 # Monitor preferred modeline (59.9 Hz vsync, 55.9 kHz hsync, ratio 16/10) ModeLine "1440x900" 106.5 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 +hsync -vsync # TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output. # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630 # 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616EndSectionSection "Device" Identifier "device1" BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce (fbdev)" Driver "fbdev" Option "DPMS"EndSectionSection "Screen" Identifier "screen1" Device "device1" Monitor "monitor1" DefaultColorDepth 16 Subsection "Display" Depth 8 Modes "1280x1024" EndSubsection Subsection "Display" Depth 15 Modes "1280x1024" EndSubsection Subsection "Display" Depth 16 Modes "1280x1024" EndSubsection Subsection "Display" Depth 24 Modes "1280x1024" EndSubsectionEndSectionSection "ServerLayout" Identifier "layout1" InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard" InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer" Screen "screen1"EndSection[future@localhost ~]$ kdesu kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf i actually just copied this from the terminal. kdesu kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf brought up the script for editing.

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce (fbdev)"
I think this is why you had such trouble with other distros . . . . you have a pretty odd-ball graphics card there . . . . B) Bruno

I think this is why you had such trouble with other distros . . . . you have a pretty odd-ball graphics card there . . . . B) Bruno
Actually it's "old" already... BTW :BarryB uses one IIRC. :thumbsup:Here it is: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec....NX6600LE-TD256EThe problem is with the fbdev, that's a wrong choice. I would reconfigure the graphics card : IIRC I have not seen my own one (Geforce FX5200) mentioned as such in any distro in its offered list of graphics card; what I got offered was : NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic). In your case however I think it would be applicable to select Nvidia 6 series. (consult BarryB first !) That card has an NVIDIA GeForce 6600 chip.That said it should at least work with the vesa driver or the nv driver if the graphics card was selected right: so no fbdev.From there on you can work towards the nvidia drivers.In the meantime I'll try to dig something up from BarryB's xorg.conf file, it should be around the forums somewhere. I'll see what I can do.edit: found it, applicable replies in that thread start here:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...st&p=177023Read that first please ! (Barry used P92 at that time)If you need any further help I'm happy to assist.

Actually it's "old" already... BTW :BarryB uses one IIRC. :thumbsup:Here it is: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec....NX6600LE-TD256EThe problem is with the fbdev, that's a wrong choice. I would reconfigure the graphics card : IIRC I have not seen my own one (Geforce FX5200) mentioned as such in any distro in its offered list of graphics card; what I got offered was : NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic). In your case however I think it would be applicable to select Nvidia 6 series. (consult BarryB first !) That card has an NVIDIA GeForce 6600 chip.That said it should at least work with the vesa driver or the nv driver if the graphics card was selected right: so no fbdev.From there on you can work towards the nvidia drivers.In the meantime I'll try to dig something up from BarryB's xorg.conf file, it should be around the forums somewhere. I'll see what I can do.edit: found it, applicable replies in that thread start here:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...st&p=177023Read that first please ! (Barry used P92 at that time)If you need any further help I'm happy to assist.
Hi guyswell what im going to do is print out barry xorg.conf file and take a look at it maybe i can make some adjustment to my file after i see what he did.....Also i did try and select the nVidia 6 series driver but i got a blank screen when i did that so i selected fbdev to get the GUI back. I also had a question i was trying to install my favourite game CS but i've been having trouble with the install it will not copy file to disc can i get some help with that.

Hi guyswell what im going to do is print out barry xorg.conf file and take a look at it maybe i can make some adjustment to my file after i see what he did.....Also i did try and select the nVidia 6 series driver but i got a blank screen when i did that so i selected fbdev to get the GUI back. I also had a question i was trying to install my favourite game CS but i've been having trouble with the install it will not copy file to disc can i get some help with that.
i have another question. when i go into my computer i see the hd that contains my windows files. i was wondering if i can run some of the programs from windows with linux. i tried to open one up just to see if it would lauch but it said couldn't display "/mnt/win_c/Program file/limewire/limewire exe. Is there anything i can do to adjust this. I also wanted to know why i cant see my partition that contains PClos when in XP?

V.T. Eric Layton
i have another question. when i go into my computer i see the hd that contains my windows files. i was wondering if i can run some of the programs from windows with linux. i tried to open one up just to see if it would lauch but it said couldn't display "/mnt/win_c/Program file/limewire/limewire exe. Is there anything i can do to adjust this. I also wanted to know why i cant see my partition that contains PClos when in XP?
Nope. No can do.You'll have to use a Windows emulator within Linux to achieve that goal. I know very little about how they work. You'll have to ask around/do homework to see how WINE or VMWARE works on Linux.Luck!Oh, and about that second question...XP can't see the PCLos partition because it doesn't recognize the file system (ext2-3, reiser, etc.), so it just shows it as "unknown".

First things first, that means getting the distro up with the proper graphics card driver : that's your top priority now.Next will be the nvidia driver install to tackle. And the rest of the questions : leave them for later. B)

i tried to open one up just to see if it would lauch but it said couldn't display "/mnt/win_c/Program file/limewire/limewire exe.
You can actually get limewire for linux, I have it in my PCLos install, think it actually came with it

Have a look here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=503&st=324 maybe that will work for you.And yes, Rolana is correct, Limewire is in the PCLos repositories indeed.:D Bruno
Question. I wanted to know how can i see what ext linux is on. When i did the set up i first created 3 partitions installed windows on one of them. then i ran PCLos installation, i selected "install on empty space". wow im working on like 5 things at once i love it. When one frustrates me i take a break by going to another one ;)

The command

df -h

will show you what partitions PCLos is using. By contrast the command

fdisk -l

(which must be run as the root user) will show you what partitions are on your hard drive. The df command shows you which partitions are active (mounted, or available to the system), and the fdisk command will show you what partitions are on your drive(s).;)Adam

Noon,I scanned back through the posts here to see what has been going on. I'm assuming that you're in PCLos now and not Fedora. Correct? Also, I didn't see anywhere in the posts where anyone has mentioned to you that you must have the proper video hardware drivers in PCLos to get the optimum performance from your graphics. I see that you posted that your video hardware is an MSI 6600. I believe that's an nVidia chipset. If so, you won't get the maximum graphics performance until you install the commercial nVidia drivers for PCLos (if they're available).In your xorg.conf file, if you have something that looks like this:...then this may be the reason behind your display situation.If "vesa" or "nv" are listed as your video drivers, then you won't get the maximum performance. You'll need to d-load and install the "nvidia" driver in order to get full performance... 24 bit color, higher screen resolutions, etc.I'm not familiar with PCLos. Someone else here will have to guide you through the process to obtain the commercial nVidia drivers. Sorry. :(If this has already been suggested/performed, then... nevermind. :D
Hi guysWell i made a silly mistake that i did not even realize until today. W\hen was having display troubles i tried editing driver in xorg.conf file by chaning fbdev to nv but i did not try vesa until today. now the screen resolution is fine. Question i wanted to find out if the vesa driver provides me with 16 million colours as well. i was also able to change the defaultdepth to 24 as well. but the colours still look the same. this is what my xorg.conf file looks like now. i also wanted to know why i get boardname (fbdev). I tried doing XFdrake and changing that to nVidia 6 series but then my drivers also gets changed to nv. My X will not start with nv as the driver. Also i see noway of selecting nVidia6 series then editing the nv driver to vesa in XFdrake. # File generated by XFdrake (rev 41554)# **********************************************************************# Refer to the xorg.conf man page for details about the format of# this file.# **********************************************************************Section "Files" # font server independent of the X server to render fonts. FontPath "unix/:-1" # minimal fonts to allow X to run without xfs FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"EndSectionSection "ServerFlags" #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort) AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)EndSectionSection "Module" Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension Load "v4l" # Video for Linux Load "extmod" Load "type1" Load "freetype"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Keyboard1" Driver "kbd" Option "XkbModel" "pc105" Option "XkbLayout" "en_US" Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Mouse1" Driver "mouse" Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2" Option "Device" "/dev/mouse" Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7" Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"EndSectionSection "Monitor" Identifier "monitor1" VendorName "Plug'n Play" ModelName "Acer AL1916W" HorizSync 30-82 VertRefresh 56-76 # Monitor preferred modeline (59.9 Hz vsync, 55.9 kHz hsync, ratio 16/10) ModeLine "1440x900" 106.5 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 +hsync -vsync # TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output. # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630 # 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616EndSectionSection "Device" Identifier "device1" BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce (fbdev)" Driver "vesa" Option "DPMS"EndSectionSection "Screen" Identifier "screen1" Device "device1" Monitor "monitor1" DefaultColorDepth 24 Subsection "Display" Depth 8 Modes "1280x1024" EndSubsection Subsection "Display" Depth 15 Modes "1280x1024" EndSubsection Subsection "Display" Depth 16 Modes "1280x1024" EndSubsection Subsection "Display" Depth 24 Modes "1280x1024" EndSubsectionEndSectionSection "ServerLayout" Identifier "layout1" InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard" InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer" Screen "screen1"EndSection

The command
df -h

will show you what partitions PCLos is using. By contrast the command

fdisk -l

(which must be run as the root user) will show you what partitions are on your hard drive. The df command shows you which partitions are active (mounted, or available to the system), and the fdisk command will show you what partitions are on your drive(s).;)Adam

/dev/sda7 5.8G 2.4G 3.2G 43% //dev/sda9 80G 1.7G 78G 3% /homewell im assuming this means Pclos is running on 2 partitons. is this someting that was automatically done when i installed it.

I assume that sda7 is your root partition because it ends with /and sda9 is your home partition because it ends in /home.I've never used a /home partition when I did an install. All I use is root (/) and swap.

is this someting that was automatically done when i installed it.
Well sort of yes . . . but you'll have confirmed that you did agree with the setup the installer proposed ;)I have to say that a 80G /home partition is maybe a bit overdone.:P Bruno

I suspect the auto partitioner in the install is not too smart...... just grabs the recommended size for the root partition and snatches up the rest for /home. They're probably assuming that the user is going to be linux only, and not need a vfat partition. :PAdam

They're probably assuming that the user is going to be linux only, and not need a vfat partition. :P
LOL . . . why would you need another OS when you already have PCLos ? . . . :P B) Bruno

I suspect the auto partitioner in the install is not too smart...... just grabs the recommended size for the root partition and snatches up the rest for /home. They're probably assuming that the user is going to be linux only, and not need a vfat partition. :PAdam
how can i cut this home partition by 60GB without doing the install all over again. I also wanted to know if i can changed filesystem as well to ext3 i think im running ext2. is there much of a difference between ext2 and ext3?

Yep you can make it Ext3 with this command:

# tune2fs -j /dev/sda9

And then make a small change in your /etc/fstab ( change ext2 to ext3 for that partition )And yes you could try to resize the /home partition . . . . but you will have to log out and log back in as "root" . . . then open the partition tool ( diskdrake ) in the PCC . . first UMOUNT the sda9 partition . . and then resize.I would however make a backup of the files in your /home first because it is not sure you won't lose data in resizing.If after the resize you really get problems we can delete and recreate the user "noon" so things will be fixed but that is where you will be glad you have a backup becuase this action will wipe ( and recreate ) /home/noonB) Bruno

Yep you can make it Ext3 with this command:
# tune2fs -j /dev/sda9

And then make a small change in your /etc/fstab ( change ext2 to ext3 for that partition )And yes you could try to resize the /home partition . . . . but you will have to log out and log back in as "root" . . . then open the partition tool ( diskdrake ) in the PCC . . first UMOUNT the sda9 partition . . and then resize.I would however make a backup of the files in your /home first because it is not sure you won't lose data in resizing.If after the resize you really get problems we can delete and recreate the user "noon" so things will be fixed but that is where you will be glad you have a backup becuase this action will wipe ( and recreate ) /home/noonB) Bruno

When i tried to changed ext i got this message after command line was entered[future@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost future]# tune2fs -j /dev/sda9tune2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)The filesystem already has a journal.[root@localhost future]#what is mean by filesystem already has a journal?