Installation help needed

Noonmid27

Well i got PClos up and running now. I wanted to know if i can changed the GUI to 32bit. i was told i could run a terminal and make adjustments using etc/X11/xorg.conf. so i ran terminal used the command and it said no such file or directory. Well i'll check in later i have to step out now. BTW thx bruno for the help with the. Now i'll just expriment screw up and learn. lol
Hi NoonAs far as I am aware ( but maybe my knowledge is dated :hysterical: ) in xorg the max is 24bit . . . In any case I would make a backup of the xorg.conf file before you start tweaking it, have a look Here how to make that backup ;):w00t: Bruno

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Noonmid27

• Bruno

• striker

• V.T. Eric Layton

Googling a bit I found a few xorg.conf files that have a section:

SubSection "Display"	Depth	  32

But still nobody seems to use it because they all have

Section "Screen"  DefaultDepth 24

or lower.I wonder if anybody here on the forum has set their DefaultDepth to 32 ????:hysterical: Bruno

question. when i boot up i get a blue screen with linux nonfd failsafe and windows. i would then select linux and it takes me to a gray screen with default and Future. i did not get the gray screen before, until i selected the xdm display manager in control center, i wanted to see what it did. i then reverted back to KDM display but now i still get the gray screen when i start up. how do i remove it? also does the blue screen indicate that i have a dual boot setup?

question. when i boot up i get a blue screen with linux nonfd failsafe and windows.
Yep that are the choices you have for booting . . .actually only the "Linux" and the "Windows" entries are the ones you will use, the other 2 are for troubleshooting.
i would then select linux and it takes me to a gray screen with default and Future. i did not get the gray screen before, until i selected the xdm display manager in control center, i wanted to see what it did. i then reverted back to KDM display but now i still get the gray screen when i start up. how do i remove it?
Go to the PCLos Control center and change to "GDM" :rolleyes: ( If it still does not work tell us and we will set up autologin )
also does the blue screen indicate that i have a dual boot setup?
Indeed it does, you can boot PCLos and Windows from that screen.:huh: Bruno

Googling a bit I found a few xorg.conf files that have a section:
  SubSection "Display"	Depth	  32

But still nobody seems to use it because they all have

Section "Screen"  DefaultDepth 24

or lower.I wonder if anybody here on the forum has set their DefaultDepth to 32 ????B) Bruno

:rolleyes: Bruno,I checked all my distros and all are using 24 bit. (I even encountered a corrupted distro, CentOS :huh: ) I remember I once had a 32 bit distro, but I just can't remember which one. Must have been on the former machine I used which now is the wifes.

Yep that are the choices you have for booting . . .actually only the "Linux" and the "Windows" entries are the ones you will use, the other 2 are for troubleshooting. Go to the PCLos Control center and change to "GDM" :rolleyes: ( If it still does not work tell us and we will set up autologin ) Indeed it does, you can boot PCLos and Windows from that screen.:huh: Bruno
Well i when into control center but i only have KDM and XDM there is not GDM display manager. Well i think i figured out the gray screen issue. When i was in display manager i created the profile "future". i just deleted it im gonna restart and see if i still get the gray screen

When i was in display manager i created the profile "future". i just deleted it im gonna restart and see if i still get the gray screen
Keep us posted ;):rolleyes: Bruno

I checked all my distros and all are using 24 bit. (I even encountered a corrupted distro, CentOS :hmm: )
Be careful with Centos cos you could have the mayor callling the FBI again!!! :o :zorro: :rolleyes: :huh: people who dont know anything about the mayor and centos must think i lost my mind B)

Be careful with Centos cos you could have the mayor callling the FBI again!!! :o :zorro: :rolleyes: :huh: people who dont know anything about the mayor and centos must think i lost my mind B)
Question, i was trying out some directory commands in the terminal. i typed in ls command and it showed desktop/ patch -2.6.18. bz2 is that the version of KDE that im running? BTW once i removed the profile in the display manager the gray screen when away. Edited by Noonmid27

patch -2.6.18. bz2
Looks more like a kernel patch to me . . . . , for sure it is not the KDE version.Can you show us exactly the command you typed ?:rolleyes: Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Hey, Noon! :)How's the progress on your Linux Adventure?Psssst... see, I told you Bruno could help you. :)Later...~Eric

Hi guys. im back today, i had to use that other OS yesterday because of an assignment that i started on in a week ago. well Bruno the command i used was ls -bin. BTW Eric my linux expedition just started but is going really well. Bruno and the guys are a big help.

Edited by Noonmid27

Question. I am still having some trouble with the screen resolution. I when into control center and tried to adjust it but the icons are still the same size. also i wanted to changed to 32 bit mode, but i don't have that option in control center. What is see is 64thousand colors(16). do i need to adjust this myself. If so can i get a command line please.

the command i used was ls -bin
??? . . . that is a new one to me . . . . :hysterical:
Question. I am still having some trouble with the screen resolution. I when into control center and tried to adjust it but the icons are still the same size. also i wanted to changed to 32 bit mode, but i don't have that option in control center. What is see is 64thousand colors(16). do i need to adjust this myself. If so can i get a command line please.
Okay . . . look at the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file there is a section called:"Screen"in that section on the 4th line it now says:
DefaultColorDepth 16
make that read
DefaultColorDepth 24
( NOT 32 !!!! . . . . 24 is the max. value )Note: that file has to be edited as root . . . . opening a terminal and typing "su"will make you root . . then open the file with "mcedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf"
Question is it possible to download Gnome desktop environment and run with PClos? I dont think i have it as an option just KDE
Yep . . just go to the synaptics package manager and look for "Gnome2" and "Gnome desktop" . . . select both packages and it will install all needed dependencies as well . . . . after the install of the packages reboot and you will have the choice of Gnome in the loginscreen.:D Bruno

Hi NoonBefore we start talking about partitioning and installing . . . . why don't you first test if the CD will boot to a desktop ???I mean, that is usually the first step to take ;)After that we can talk partition tools and clearing out the MBR.:hysterical: Bruno
Wow Gnome looks so much better than KDE. regarding the resolution and the graphics. ok i opened the terminal and ran the command line etc/X11/Xorg.conf it said no such file or directory.

Hi NoonThe command to see the file is ( as user ):

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

( without the $ )The command to edit the file is ( as user):

$ kdesu kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf

( without the $ ):hysterical: Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton
Wow Gnome looks so much better than KDE. regarding the resolution and the graphics. ok i opened the terminal and ran the command line etc/X11/Xorg.conf it said no such file or directory.
Also, make sure you don't type a capital X in "xorg.conf". :hysterical:

Yep . . indeed . . typos are deadly :)B) Bruno
ok i have the script up right now......i see all the subsection display i also see section "screen" with defualt colour depth 16 is that the one i edit?
ok i have the script up right now......i see all the subsection display i also see section "screen" with defualt colour depth 16 is that the one i edit?
also why didn't i have to use this command since my desktop environment right now is GNOME gnomesu gwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Yep Noonit is the

DefaultColorDepth 24
There is only one such line B) . . be careful, only change the number to 24 . . . . And in gnome you can indeed use "gksu" ( if installed ) instead of "kdesu" . . ;):) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton
ok i have the script up right now......i see all the subsection display i also see section "screen" with defualt colour depth 16 is that the one i edit?also why didn't i have to use this command since my desktop environment right now is GNOME gnomesu gwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Actually, in Gnome, you want to do it this way:
$ su

Type in your root password.At the root prompt "#", type this:

# gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The Gnome editor, "Gedit", will pop up showing the xorg.conf file, ready for editing.

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

Actually, in Gnome, you want to do it this way:
$ su

Type in your root password.At the root prompt "#", type this:

# gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The Gnome editor, "Gedit", will pop up showing the xorg.conf file, ready for editing.

well i just edited the script and changed the depth to 24. It did not work as the GUI was scrambled so i changed back to 16 this was in GNOME environment. Im gonna try it in KDE and see what happens. One thing i do notice about linux is it never freeze's. Thx for the commands guys, the are very helpful and make things a lot more interesting, seeing as how it gives the user full control.

V.T. Eric Layton

Noon,I scanned back through the posts here to see what has been going on. I'm assuming that you're in PCLos now and not Fedora. Correct? Also, I didn't see anywhere in the posts where anyone has mentioned to you that you must have the proper video hardware drivers in PCLos to get the optimum performance from your graphics. I see that you posted that your video hardware is an MSI 6600. I believe that's an nVidia chipset. If so, you won't get the maximum graphics performance until you install the commercial nVidia drivers for PCLos (if they're available).In your xorg.conf file, if you have something that looks like this:

Section "Device" Identifier "Nvidia GeForce 6100" Driver "vesa" or "nv" Option "NoLogo"EndSectionSection "Screen" Identifier "Default Screen" Device "Nvidia GeForce 6100" Monitor "HP D8911" DefaultDepth 24 SubSection "Display" Depth 1 Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Depth 4 Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Depth 8 Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
...then this may be the reason behind your display situation.If "vesa" or "nv" are listed as your video drivers, then you won't get the maximum performance. You'll need to d-load and install the "nvidia" driver in order to get full performance... 24 bit color, higher screen resolutions, etc.I'm not familiar with PCLos. Someone else here will have to guide you through the process to obtain the commercial nVidia drivers. Sorry. :(If this has already been suggested/performed, then... nevermind. B) Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

Hi NoonI think you will get a scrabled screen in KDE too if you get it in Gnome . . . . :'(Can you please show us the result of the next command:

# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

B) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm a typical example of a Linux neophyte (big word for new***) who learns a few tricks and thinks he knows it all. If I'm leading Noon into the dark forest with my advice, Bruno, just shoo me off like the annoying gnat that I am. B)

LOL . . Eric . . you were going in the right direction B) . . . . I only wanted to make sure we have a clear picture of what his file looks like before we tell him what to do :)Also this will give us the chance to see if the previous edit he performed was actually done correctly. :) . . . Because I am not sure why 24 would not have worked for him . . . it might be his (low-end ) graphical chip, but also a typo in the edit is possible.:blink: Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

I couldn't get 24bit color with the vesa or nv drivers on my older system with the GEForce 4 Ti4200 card until I installed the nvidia driver. I also couldn't get anything other than 800X600 resolution before installing the commercial drivers. Modifying xorg.conf to change the color and res settings just killed my X. I believe this was also the case with my new system with most distros, with the exception of OpenSuSE, I think. I never did have to install any drivers for SuSE. Its generic drivers worked fine on the old system and this one.I ran into Noon over at LinuxQuestions.org where he was having a hard time getting any advice, which is unusual there. That's a very helpful forum. I think his post just got lost in the congestion over there. Anyway, I sent him here to see you. B)

Hi EricLinuxquestions is a very good forum . . . really knowledgeable people, very high standard answers . . . . but sometimes it is just to busy and questions get buried under the massive amount of new posts.Anyway . . . glad you told him to come over to join our little family ;):) BrunoPS: About the DefaultDepth . . . . most of the times the xsrever configuration makes a real good guess of what the card/driver can handle . . . . so most of the time you do get the correct settings in the xorg.conf B) . . . so in that case only upgrading hardware and/or drivers will bring possible improvement.

Hi EricLinuxquestions is a very good forum . . . really knowledgeable people, very high standard answers . . . . but sometimes it is just to busy and questions get buried under the massive amount of new posts.Anyway . . . glad you told him to come over to join our little family ;):blink: BrunoPS: About the DefaultDepth . . . . most of the times the xsrever configuration makes a real good guess of what the card/driver can handle . . . . so most of the time you do get the correct settings in the xorg.conf :blink: . . . so in that case only upgrading hardware and/or drivers will bring possible improvement.
Hi guysOk this is what i did when i tried to change the defauldepth yesterday. I opened the terminal this was in the GNOME environement. logged in as root, then used command gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The script came up i changed the defalutdepth to 24 save the file, then restarted my computer. the screen was scrambled so i changed back to 16