Forum Upgrade

epp_b

I'm really liking the new features in this forum. I particularly like the "Selected Text as Quote" for quick replies - very intuitive! :)Lots of neat shortcuts and little useful features here and there. Great job IPB and thanks to SFNL forum admins! ;)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• havnblast

• Scot

• James M. Fisher

• Neil P

Thanks, epp_b. I'm sure there will be other things we like or don't like. This might be the place to post constructive thoughts, comments, suggestions. As you know, we don't have much control over what Invision Power does. But there are always possibilities for customizing. Hopefully the improvements will outweigh any negative changes.-- Scot

hmmmm I can't get the options button to work in the upper right hand corner. Using firefox and linux here - cleared my cookies and cache. I click and a drop down box should appear with options but nothing happens when I click here.Anyone else?

hmmmm I can't get the options button to work in the upper right hand corner. Using firefox and linux here - cleared my cookies and cache. I click and a drop down box should appear with options but nothing happens when I click here.Anyone else?
Funny . . . the "options" button did work for me an hour ago ( used it to "mark the forum read and return to this page" ) but now it stopped working for me too ( Linux: Galeon and Konqueror )Rest is fine, I like the new reply dialog ;)B)

I like the new feature to center or right allign

:D

B) Bruno

is it some option in the admin panel cause it works fine in linux with firefox on the IPB site

...and integrated RSS - cool! :clap:But... (I feel noobish), how do I use them in Firefox? (Win32)
RSS has been apart of IPB for a long time now, version 1.3 even had it

But... (I feel noobish), how do I use them in Firefox? (Win32)
To just use the integraded "Livemarks" feature of Firefox, first click on the RSS icon, which brings you to the thread that lists all of the feeds. Now, say you wanted to Livemark the Browser and Email forum (a good choice B) ), you just copy the link location (right click + "copy link location"), then go to Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks; In that window, hit File -> New Live Bookmark... and then paste the location in the box, give it a name, and you're good to go!An RSS reader like Sage would probably just require you to drag the link and drop it into the Sage window, but I haven't used it in a while, so I'm not 100% sure on that.

RSS has been apart of IPB for a long time now, version 1.3 even had it
Well, thanks, now I really feel noobish...guess I wasn't paying attention :'>
To just use the integraded "Livemarks" feature of Firefox, first click on the RSS icon, which brings you to the thread that lists all of the feeds. Now, say you wanted to Livemark the Browser and Email forum (a good choice smile.gif ), you just copy the link location (right click + "copy link location"), then go to Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks; In that window, hit File -> New Live Bookmark... and then paste the location in the box, give it a name, and you're good to go!
Thanks, that worked. I've just always done it via the LiveBookmark icon that displays in the bottom right corner.

Same thing on my Slackserver with the 1.5 beta of firefox - no options working
The only place where I can get "Forum Options" to work is in B&E Central. Hitting it there will snap me to the moderation options. It doesn't seem to do anything on any other forum, though.One thing that has caught my eye is the text at the top of a topic; normally it's white (even in this reply dialog, "Replying to Forum Upgrade" is white) but if you look at this topic, the text "Forum Upgrade, Loving it!" is in black. It's also black for each forum's front page (see here), but not for the main index.

Your right - the favicon is gone. The options are not workin right now. I used it earlier and I am in Windows and Firefox. Thanks for all the work upgrading the forum. B)

He means the option button is operational. It allows you to mark the forum as read and return to it, go back to the main menu or subscribe to the forum. ;)

Windows/Firefox1. no favicon here2. options don't work3. even though I checked cookies to see that session ID was saved, when I return (closed browser to clear cache and cookies) everything on the main page appears as if there are new posts in each section; after I open that section, there may not be any new posts

James M. Fisher
He means the option button is operational. It allows you to mark the forum as read and return to it, go back to the main menu or subscribe to the forum. :)
Only it's NOT operational for me. ;)

All --Just because it may help you in wondering why things like Options aren't working, etc. The only changes I made after installing the forums software upgrade were:1. Reset the board time, because they fixed a longstanding bug there.2. Eliminated a couple of skin options, because the one we that's showing is the only one that was properly updated.During this work, I noticed a strange tendency for the board to show something at one point, and show a different thing next time I looked, even though no changes were made. The database files are fine. The board has been running well since.I will look into the Options issue. It may be a setting. The Admin CP has changed radically in this upgrade, and I haven't had time to really find where everthing is. Most of the "improvements" in the Admin CP remind me of things Microsoft did in Windows, like putting all the Control Panel applets in new Categories. They're aimed at newbies, but just make it harder for the people who actually do this stuff to find things. But it's no big deal. I just need a couple hours to work through where they've got everything now.If anyone figures out the Options thing in the meantime, please email me with what you know: webmaster@scotsnewsletter.comAnd please keep noting even minor issues here. One thing I want to keep an eye on is email notifications. Those always seem to suffer after an upgrade. Any problems there?Thanks!-- Scot

James M. Fisher
All --One thing I want to keep an eye on is email notifications. Those always seem to suffer after an upgrade. Any problems there?Thanks!-- Scot
Notifications are working fine thus far, Scot. ;)

Only it's NOT operational for me. ;)
OK , The Options button works in the main forum where I can mark posts as read. But the options button in a topic/thread does not work. I click on it and nothing happens. Edited by Gary

I've made several minor settings changes and tried about a dozen things to get the Options drop-down working. No joy on Options. It should be working. I've looked over the code, comparing it with the code on another IPB 2.1.0 site where Options is working. The code is virtually identical. The IPB forums are down right now, but I'm sure we're not alone with this problem, so we'll figure it out.The worst case scenario may be that I have to completely rebuild the default skin, which would mean reinstituting a lot of the site's look and feel -- it's a royal pain for me to do that. But if there's no other way, I will do it -- though it will take me some time to work it into my schedule.The best case scenario is that there's a patch or little hack needed to fix this problem that I find on the support forums once they're back up.Options will be fixed.As to Fast Reply thing and the adding to a pre-existing post if you go to say something not long after a previous message ... are those things a little improved? They should be. I made some settings changes there.Anything else that needs fixing?-- Scot

Thanks, yeah, I posted in there a little while ago. Just a bunch of people with the same problem looking for answers. No one with knowledge has posted.-- Scot

Fav Icon fixed.I've found that the Options works in the default 2.1 skin but not in the 2.0 skin that's optimzed. A whole bunch of forum operators are having the exact same problem, so I'm hopeful of a fix.You should also find the the Fast Reply thing is better than it was. I'm working on some other minor things too.New RSS feeds are on the way too.-- Scot