Forum Upgrade

epp_b

I was finally able to get the New Posts indicator to work by logging out, clearing the cache, logging back in, visiting every forum, and using Options to mark the forum as having been read.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• havnblast

• Scot

• James M. Fisher

• Neil P

I'm seeing a...strange problem. At least, I think it's a problem.When trying to edit this post (well, earlier posts in the thread, but I haven't updated that one yet). Pretty much, when I go to edit the post, I see a bunch of

<span style='color:red'>
and similar <span> tags. I don't know why, but if I had to guess, I'd say that when the board sees the BBCode for a color or font size, it converts it to these span tags with the appropriate style attributes...and for whatever reason they're not staying as color BBCode tags when I go to edit.Oh, and AFTER I take out the <span> tags, I can re-submit the post, and they seem to stay in BBCode (a.k.a., act normally)

I had that same issue on the first visit, but clearing the cache after I hit the link on the main page mark all forums read and than logging out of the site. I closed out FF came back to the site and logged in and everything has been fine since than. Odd how that works for some, but not others.Scott I have seen a lot of people frustrated with IPB on other forums, they are tired of seeing their board break with every update. There isn't too many boards out there that don't have their own customization to it in some form or another. Some are even vowing to stay with 2.0.4 and say the heck with 2.1. Guess that would be ok if IPB planned on supporting it when exploits are found and need fixing. I can not see them doing that as I find the staff there very unfriendly. That is the major reason I will not purchase from them, I have seen how they treat people.Personally I like the default skin, doesn't bother me to just have this one. :thumbsup:
Kelly, I have many of the same concerns and issues, and I've posted very specifically in this vein on the IPB Paid Support site. All in all, I like the IPB software very much. I'm just frustrated with the endless need to update and then redo the skins. I knew this was the case before I chose this software. And it was the major point of consideration for me. The big trade-off. So, that's why Josh and I decided to go to this lightly modified skin. But as I said in an earlier post -- if and when IPB matures and stops being heavily revised every six months, we'll bring on the skin diversity again.One thing that's good to keep in mind, the forum software alternatives aren't great. There's really on one product that I would even consider. At the time, they couldn't properly support my webhost.Finally, just a point -- we will keep upgrading the forums. I can't always promise to do it as quickly as I did this time. But whether or not it's ethical, I don't trust IPS to update the older versions with security patches as quickly as they do their latest versions. By and large, each new upgrade is also an improvement overall. This one certainly was.
The board is working properly, on my end, as far as read posts and new posts. It was the combo of guarding 1 cookie and using the options to mark as read when I was done in a section reading what I wanted.
Thanks, Liz, for letting me know. And good to hear.-- Scot

Steeler Fan, I'm interested in your "span tag" problem. Any trend on these posts? Are they all pre-upgrade posts? Has anyone else come across instances of this? Although minor, that's an annoying problem. -- Scot

James M. Fisher
One thing that's good to keep in mind, the forum software alternatives aren't great. There's really on one product that I would even consider. At the time, they couldn't properly support my webhost.-- Scot
I agree, Scot. IPB software is the closest I have seen to 'ideal'. The upgrade added some nice features, that's for sure.

Guest LilBambi

I kinda wondered if we'd experience the formatting tag issue again. It has happened in the past.with upgrades.The best thing to do is to remove the tags and reformat your text. That has always worked in the past. (Sometimes best to copy the text to a text editor before hitting editing if you know you are going to edit an old 'pre-upgrade' post, along with the links. Then edit, select all the text, remove it, then put your text in and format it the way you want.They never did fiind the problem in the past. Or fix it when an upgrade caused it.It's just one of those things I guess that we have to deal with.There are so few cons and so many pros to IPB as a forum software, even if IPB themselves have become too 'commercial' for many of us who remember their roots. ;)I agree Scot, there are few real options in regard to forum software. For the most part, IPB forum software has kinda spoiled us with so many great features that other software packages are just not all that appealing.... IMHO.

Steeler Fan, I'm interested in your "span tag" problem. Any trend on these posts? Are they all pre-upgrade posts? Has anyone else come across instances of this? Although minor, that's an annoying problem. -- Scot
Yep I saw this too . . . . when editing the index page ( first post ) in The Tips thread suddenly all the headings that are in bold and gray had those "funny" tags . . . and when posting the tags were displayed in the post . . . . so I removed the tags and replaced them with the usual forum-tags and all was okay again.Also with re-opening the same post with the "edit" button did not repeat this unusual behavior.It had me worried for a while ( I have nightmares about a messed up Tips Index page :thumbsup: ), but when these strange tags did not return after editing a good few other posts I stopped worrying :PB) Bruno

Scot, if you try to edit this post, you'll see the issue firsthand. If you try and edit a previous post (one I've already fixed), they'll work fine.So, it seems to be only certain (maybe all?) pre-upgrade posts, and once they're fixed, they're good.

All,Wanted to let you all know that IPB has released 2.1.1 with severa bug fixs. Don't you love when development companies use you as an unwitting beta tester? The list of fixes is long enough that I think we should install it soon. One of the fixes references the RSS feeds, and I had some trouble there. So I think we should upgrade.Not sure yet when I'm going to do this. But probably within a week or so.-- Scot

Wow, totally missed that, wasn't expecting a release I guessand here is the new stuff added: * Due to popular request, the "Easy Logo Changer" has been re-added to the ACP. It can be found in the "Look & Feel" tab. * Due to popular request, the "[ CODE ]" tag button has made a return to the RTE and STD toolbars. * Due to popular request, the "Licensed To" tagline has made a return and can be found in the "IPB License Settings" part of the Settings Manager * Due to popular request, the Skin difference generator can now accept an exported XMLarchive (straight from the export tools) * A "file modification" time has been added to the "Rebuild Master HTML" ipb_templates.xml to warn for out-of-date template sets before rebuilding. * A new tool has been added to the Skin Tools area. This new tool allows you to rebuild your master CSS and boardwrapper. * Board wrappers can now use <!--exec.url='http://myurl.com/script.php'--> and <!--exec.file='/path/to/file.php'--> tags to "include" content or the output of scripts. * The RSS Feeds import section has more checking to ensure the validity of the feed and to ensure that your PHP installation is capable of importing them * An automatic legacy mode has been added to the DB drivers to ensure temporary compatibility with PHP < 4.3.0 * A warning is displayed in the ACP if your PHP installation is too old to be reliably used * Attachment tags are now displayed as links when viewing Lo-Fi mode * Any outstanding issues with ParaChat have been resolved * You can now set the width of the RTE/STD editors from the ACP - individual settings for posts and PMs to assist in 800x600 compatibility.bug fixesACP: Show Member's IP address using wrong member ID variableQuick Edit: Double parser passed shows incorrect linksACP: Re-order child forums can re-order main forums tooACP: SM: Expiration notices incorrectPHP Mail: No mail being sent issue with safe_modeTopic marking: Hit one topic, whole forum read issue with PHP 5.0.4Calendar: Forthcoming events not spanning past the end of the current monthSession auth: Not matching user-agent correctlySTD: Formatting one character formats entire inputACP: Issue with calendars using groups not masksACP: Email logs / warn logs don't pop-upKERNEL: Channels not reset after building RSS documentUTF-8: Ajax topic edit doesn't preserve charactersACP: IE 6/7 Editing skin set sometimes times out browserRTE: Spaces in URL force URL not to parse and instead show BBCodeREG: Javascript checking not validating email addressesPOSTING: Smilie table tag not filtered in post areaACP: Rebuild post content doesn't convert quote tagsGlobal: When no RSS exports and no calendar exports, PHP warning may showCalendar: Editing event with std editor shows <br />ACP: Index quick click uses member name, not display name

Edited by havnblast

oh geeezzzz, now they brought back the customer to customer support like they use to have. They swore up and down they dropped it cause of their reputation of support was being hurt. Now I wonder if they have too much on their hands and are opening it back up so they can get help or maybe they are getting tired of how cold they are to people without a license but still run the free trial boards. Sounds like 2.1 really over loaded their support system tho.IPB decision making seems to be unstable, they say one thing and do another. Good programmers, love their software, but goofy management I guess. I just know I would never trust em.

Edited by havnblast