• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• teacher

• havnblast

• ross549

Julia still the same wonder if the install needs to complete first???[colin@localhost colin]$ suPassword:[root@localhost colin]# /sbin/lilopart_nowrite: read:: Input/output error[root@localhost colin]#

We can go back and boot into and see if it needs to do anything else after we run this. Did you run /sbin/lilo once and it worked????

Julia STILL NO Joy :'( at allStill the three Mepis are there 2.4 2.6 and new Mepis which was a previs one that had to be replacedAnd NO SuseNo info on hda8 in either PCL:os or ATLColin :) but still trying for :D

Nope :D Beginning to think THIS computer has an AVERSION to Suse as Bruno has said before :) [colin@localhost colin]$ suPassword:[root@localhost colin]# /sbin/lilopart_nowrite: read:: Input/output error[root@localhost colin]#Colin :hmm: what's next ??? :'(

I read every hit googled that was in English. All that solved it did it in one of two ways - they removed CDs, external drives, or other devices that were external or 2. They went and switched to grub. It looks like the only way to change this today is with Grub. What do you think?

You took the thought right out of my mind about grubBut how do we procedd from there OR is another distor the way to go on hda8 I am OPEN to all possibilites except another Windows XP on my Linux Box :) Colin

ColinThe only way I know to do this is to go into the PCLos Control Center --> Boot --> and there change it to Grub. I am not an expert at Grub and can not remotely claim to be so.l

That means changing your menu to grub for everything. It would be converting your lilo to grub. Bruno will not be much help to you with grub. If you want to, you can go ahead. I am about to call it a night. I must get up early in the morning and go to work. If you want to try go into the control center and change it.

JuliaDiscretion reigns I am not game to try thatI will probably have to decide on a nother distro and calling it a night is a wise decisionCheers for YearsColin :) :'( :D for all the support

JuliaBooHoo :rolleyes: the Suse Good Fairy did NOT visit last nightWe still have the same in /sbin/lilo[colin@localhost colin]$ suPassword:[root@localhost colin]# /sbin/lilopart_nowrite: read:: Input/output error[root@localhost colin]#and also other=/dev/hda8 & Suse still in nano ....So where to from here :hmm: on hda8 eh Now I am pleased I did NOT try and install on the laptop systemMay even look at re downloading Suse in PCLos this time not xp and see if that makes a difference yet the CD1 checked MD5sum Ok during the installBut maybe there is another distro earmarked for hda8 and/or the laptopI WELCOME any and ALL comments :D And Hope that Colin can once agin be :D and :D and :( for a New Distro to play withCheers for YearsColin :( :rolleyes: :D ;)

Edited by kamicota

Your error actually has nothing to do with Suse. It is in your pclos. Have you done updates recently? Everything I read indictaes this is a problem with some drive attached or USB device or an error with lilo. You might try going into synatpic and reloading the lilo program. ;)

Yes JuliaAfter a couple of months hiatus from linux I updated 387MB and I am a little unclear on what you mean by "RELAODING THE LILO PROGRAM" a LITTLE :'( WITH THISColin ;)

Colin's at it :P again If the inabilty to repair lilo in PCLos and unable to install Suse on hda8 --->>>Have been looking and trying other Live cd's eg - Ubuntu - not enthralled with gnome so may look at KubuntuSo a few options for MY TOTALLY Linux Box--->>>PCLOs hda6ATL hda7nothing NOW on hda8Do I replace PCLOs on Hda6 with Suse in lilo then reinstall a new PCLOs on hda8and even consider Kubuntu or some other distro or even two by also replacing ATLIt's not confusion that reigns :'( but INDECISION :rolleyes: So comments would be truly welcomedColin from Ubuntu Live :lol: and still motoring along ;)

I downloaded Kubuntu livecd to give it a try and it wouldn't even boot up my pc - first livecd to fail booting up my machine.It booted off the cd but I forget now where duing the process of starting up it just stops and sits there.

hanks KellyKubuntu down;loading now Ubuntu worked wellI've even tried Knoppix download for DVD but it hung up in both Konqueror and firefoxAlthough I would still like tyo install suse 9.3 BUT Pclos lilo is giving me the collywobbles :rolleyes: SX\o I'll keep trying and se what adavice comes along about what to dith my Linix BoxThaks againColin :'( ;)

here it is AdamPassword:[root@localhost colin]# cat /etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="pclinuxos"keytable=/boot/livecd.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-oci7 label="pclinuxos" root=/dev/hda1 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.10-oci7.imgappend="devfs=nomount nomce splash=silent"vga=788read-only image=/boot/ATL/vmlinuz-2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk label="ATL-Live" root=/dev/hda7 initrd=/boot/ATL/initrd-2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk.img append="nomce devfs=nomount splash=silent acpi=ht" vga=788 read-onlyother=/dev/hda8 label="Suse"[root@localhost colin]#

OK, hopefully, we can get a more decriptive error....

# lilo -t -v

This invokes a lilo "test" mode, as well as the verbose option, whic gives us better errors! :D