Another Colin OOPS!!!

kamicota

[root@localhost colin]# lilo -t -vLILO version 22.6.1 (test mode), Copyright © 1992-1998 Werner AlmesbergerDevelopment beyond version 21 Copyright © 1999-2004 John CoffmanReleased 17-Nov-2004, and compiled at 22:39:35 on Apr 16 2005Reading boot sector from /dev/hdapart_nowrite: read:: Input/output error[root@localhost colin]#Colin

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• teacher

• havnblast

• ross549

OOPS[colin@localhost colin]$ suPassword:[root@localhost colin]# [root@localhost colin]# lilo -t -vbash: [root@localhost: command not found[root@localhost colin]# LILO version 22.6.1 (test mode), Copyright © 1992-1998 Werner Almesbergerbash: syntax error near unexpected token `('[root@localhost colin]# Development beyond version 21 Copyright © 1999-2004 John Coffmanbash: syntax error near unexpected token `('[root@localhost colin]# Released 17-Nov-2004, and compiled at 22:39:35 on Apr 16 2005bash: Released: command not found[root@localhost colin]#[root@localhost colin]# Reading boot sector from /dev/hdabash: Reading: command not found[root@localhost colin]# part_nowrite: read:: Input/output errorbash: part_nowrite:: command not found[root@localhost colin]# [root@localhost colin]#bash: [root@localhost: command not found[root@localhost colin]#[root@localhost colin]# Here it is from a NEW console

hmm... this would seem to indicate some kind of problem with your MBR.I am not sure where to go from here...... but once you can fix that problem, you should have a bootable SuSE.

Hey Adam Stop Me for I can't :D I feel as if I have 3 NEW distros to InstallAs I don't use ATL at all now Mepis is gone and PCLos is in the collywobble :'( :P stageColin and I HAVE TO LAUGH OR I WOULD CRY :D

What a relief adam[colin@localhost colin]$ suPassword:[root@localhost colin]# fdisk -lDisk /dev/hda: 41.1 GB, 41110142976 bytes16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 79656 cylindersUnits = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System/dev/hda1 * 1 10169 5124703+ 83 Linux/dev/hda2 10169 64021 27141817+ 5 Extended/dev/hda3 64021 65950 971932+ 82 Linux swap/dev/hda4 65950 79656 6907950 83 Linux/dev/hda5 10169 11189 514048+ 82 Linux swap/dev/hda6 11189 24512 6715138+ 83 Linux/dev/hda7 24512 43175 9406026 83 Linux/dev/hda8 43175 64021 10506478+ 83 Linux[root@localhost colin]#

What is plugged into your computer - a printer by chance, a camera cable, a zip drive, scanner, anything at all? A usb cable without anything hooked up to it? Look in back and make sure there is not a cord you have forgotten!

Colin... just to make sure:

# cat /var/log/messages | grep usb

You may not have any USB devices at all, but that doesn't stop the system from thinking so.... something might be up here.

ColinNo usb but do you have a printer or anything attached. I want to know everything that is attached other than a mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

JuliaOnly things attatched ARE--->>>PS2 MousePS2 KeyboardMonitorPowercordCable cat5 I think it isThe system is run through a KVM with separate mouse for my XP box and my Linux BosColin

Colin, I must apologize. I almost completely forgot I had a meeting this evening. I shoud be back in a few hours, if you are willing to wait until then. I think I may be onto something here. :D

Right, try just for running lilo to move the keyboard and monitor over. Then move it back afterwards. Since your error is usually tied into an external device that is the only thing I can think of. It does not hurt to try. :D

Here's the lates --->>>Password:[root@localhost colin]# cat /etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="pclinuxos"keytable=/boot/livecd.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-oci7 label="pclinuxos" root=/dev/hda1 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.10-oci7.imgappend="devfs=nomount nomce splash=silent"vga=788read-only image=/boot/ATL/vmlinuz-2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk label="ATL-Live" root=/dev/hda7 initrd=/boot/ATL/initrd-2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk.img append="nomce devfs=nomount splash=silent acpi=ht" vga=788 read-onlyother=/dev/hda8 label="Suse"[root@localhost colin]# and this is with the mouse & keyboard direct[colin@localhost colin]$ suPassword:[root@localhost colin]# /sbin/lilopart_nowrite: read:: Input/output error[root@localhost colin]#

ColinThat did not change anything. The only thing I can see to do now is to confert it to Grub and then after that works, boot back in and convert back to lilo. :D

JuliaAre you saying to INSTALL Suse 9.3 AGAIN THIS time Install Grub instead of Lilo and Put it in MBR or hda8Colin

No, no, no. :D Repeat after me - "My Suse install is fine."The problem is the PCLos lilo. The cure could be to go into your PCLos Control Center and then to your boot program and change PCLos to Grub.Once that works, we would repeat the procedure and change it back to Lilo. :'(

Did you click on the lilo and edit? I thought I remembered a choice there. I am not in PCLos at the moment. If not, then I don't know a cure off hand.