• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• teacher

• havnblast

• ross549

OK. open k3b. Browse to the file you want to burn.When the next menu opens up click on the little folder to the right of the box for the title of the file. Browse again to make sure you have the right file. Let it start on the md5sum. Tell me the file name it shows in the window where it is getting ready to burn.

Well Julia & KellyLooks as if we may be thwarted with the lap top NOT booting from the Extenral drive :'( All the Bios shows is --->>> HDD->FDD->CD-ROM->LANMaybe replacing ATL or Mepis is beginning to seem more attractive :hmm: :P ;) or am I whistling dixie here :lol: All Five CD's are burned with no place to go right now unless I give them to a friend :P Cheers for yearsColin :D :'(

Edited by kamicota

I would replace ATL with Suse or Mepis. Your choice. Which do you boot into most? Keep that one and replace the other. I say ATL because it is a one-time and your only updates would be through PCLos. So if you update using PCLos you might want to keep it. Do you have wireless working with either distro? If so, keep that one. If not, then go with the one you use least as the replacement candidate. ;)Let me know when you are ready and have made your decision. ;)

Julia I did PONDER for a BRIEF MOMENT :'( wetehr to dual boot the laptop with suse but didn't really think that was wise.I am mostly in PCLos now and the odd forays into MepisColin ;)

Let's go from booting from the disk. The welcome menu comes up and you will then go down to the second item on the list --> Installation.

Then you will click the button for "I agree" for the License Agreement.Then Language --> English USI should be there in a minute. Off to go grab my laptop. ;)

OOPS JuliaForgot to mentionPCLOS does NOT see the ATL Partiton in mntColin  ;)

That does not matter. As long as you know which partition is your Mepis. Is it one partition or do you have a separate for home? Or do I need to go research the forum to find the partition?

Make sure it has selected hda8 then for your partitioning. Click the change button at the bottom to go to change it if needed.

Then let's click on change and go to bootloader.Then click on boot loader type and the button at the bottom left that says edit.From the edit menu drop down on the down arrow and change it from Grub to Lilo.We will leave it on the mbr since you had it in PCLos and that is disappearing. Correctt?

That's right. Then change the boot loader location by clicking on Edit Then tell it "Boot sector of Boot partition /dev/hda8.(I got a little confused as to which we were replacing there. Sorry. ;) )

Don't worry. This is how you do it:1. Click on the line that starts "Boot Loader Location" This should be the second lien down.2. Click on Edit down in the lower left corner of this area. 3. Once you click edit, then on the new menu, click the circle in front of the line that starts "Boot Sector of Boot Partition /dev/hda8.Then click "OK".